Prove the puff engine is not useless

After a shakeup in KSP management, an order came down that unused inventory that has sat for more than a year must be used immediatelly or scrapped.  Even with the sudden flurry of new missions, nobody wants the humble puff engine.

In order to use up this otherwise wasted inventory you decide on an otherwise impossible to fund mission.  The moon Tylo is thought to be seismically dead, but you decide to prove it one way or the other once and for all.

Design a probe using only the puff engine, carry a seismometer, antenna, and generate power.  You will need over 500 charge to transmit seismic data, and probably some extendable solar panels.

You may cheat to Tylo orbit using alt F12

Here is mine:  

screenshot17.png

• 3 weeks later...

So you need to land a probe on Tylo with Puffs, it doesn't matter how the probe gets to Tylo orbit, and when I land I need to transmit the seismometer data back. Can you launch multiple probes, like putting a relay into Tylo orbit so I don't need an antenna as powerful to transmit back? If so, can I launch the, seperately or do they have to be on the same craft

Uh, this counts, right?

emJemXZ.png

Because damn, this thing gets wobbly near the end of the landing. I guess it's my own fault, I should've included a reaction wheel. Or at least some RCS thrusters. But I wanted to show that this can be done with just one Puff engine and no other attitude control mechanisms. Which I guess I technically did. :sticktongue:

In general, I went for minimalism with this design. There's the single Puff engine (rotated and offset so that its thrust vector points straight down and lines up with the center of mass), one monoprop tank (technically about 30% more fuel than needed for an optimal landing, but a bit of extra delta-v margin is always nice), one OKTO probe core (lightest possible, no built-in reaction wheels), six batteries (I guess I could've left one out; did you know that the small batteries are cheaper and lighter per unit of charge than any of the bigger ones?), two solar panels (again, technically one more than needed), one antenna and of course one seismometer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.