[Fixed in 0.1.2] Rocket explodifies at ~21km when certain structural parts are used.

JWag

Description

This rocket seems to reliably disintegrate (at least the first stage) after a couple minutes of flight.

Alas, this still seems to be a problem after the patch. It's because of one (or both) of these parts:

• ST-Micro-1
  • STJ-3125

Environment

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700F (20)
RAM: 32613
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (12142MB)
KSP Version Info: 0.1.1.0.21572

Saves

Save from C:\Users\jimw\AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CqICElOt2SaueBv2UVYyYCOYd3C6eCY9/view?usp=sharing

Ksp2.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iVmVlKaFBqzgof8dj0plTTSTc77dtw1I/view?usp=sharing

Reproduction

Version Info: 0.1.1.0.21572

1. Load JJKSP2 save
  2. Select Albatross workspace, load Albatross vehicle
  3. Make sure all four TT-38k decouplers have fuel crossfeed enabled, this seems to not stick between saves sometimes?
  4. Launch
    1. First stage is ignition of Thuds and Mainsail
    2. Second stage is launch clamp release
  5. Fly
    1. I typically start a few degrees' gravity turn at ~100m/S velocity
    2. Sometimes I'll use Action Group 2 to stage off the Thuds once propellants are below 50%, but this doesn't seem to be necessary to reproduce.
  6. After several minutes, vehicle disintegrates
    1. Often the upper stage survives, though it goes into a mad accelerating spin

Edited by JWag
Updating for today's patch release

the first failure is here (line 2387):

[LOG 10:32:58.317] [Debug] <color=green> JOINT BROKE: </color> Owner: adapter_3v_methalox_2v-3v (guid: 0cc77182-692d-4fab-88ad-212688c50fde), Connected to: decoupler_2v_inline (guid: 7ad8f5d8-69d6-40f6-bf1c-193cf880556f), Force: 0, Torque: 4681.886

Thinking maybe this part is just weak, I've added four struts around the "adapter_3v_methalox_2v-3v", between the large first-stage tank and the decoupler. Alas, it does not seem to help.

Once i am 70km above the ocean, and try to accellerate into orbit, the ship disintegrate after the engine being turned on for less than a minute, we talking about one engine, one fuel tank and one command pod with parashute on top suddenly splitting every single part attached. KSP1 was more stable than this on launch  with 40 parts whobbling around...?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

With some more tinkering, the problem seems to disappear when I remove the RCS quads and their cubic strut "outriggers".

Whether it's the quads being buggy, or whether having them on the outriggers causes the problem, I don't know. I'm at least able to get to orbit without RUDs now.

• 3 weeks later...

Alas, this still seems to be a problem after the patch. It's because of one (or both) of these parts:

• ST-Micro-1
  • STJ-3125

I'll update the first post in this thread with deets.