Staging with space bar stopped working

ThoryFox

• KSP Version  0.1.0.0.20892 On an NVME
  • Operating System and version  (Windows 10 on an NVME)
  • CPU AMD 3900X
  • GPU EVGA 2080 Super FTW3
  • Ram 32GB DDR4
  • Description of the bug.  
    • Staging with space bar stopped working
    • Expected Behavior
      • Press space bar to stage
    • Observed Behavior
      • Does not stage. can still click on the Go button 
    • Steps to Replicate
      • Seems to have to do with changing focus from the craft, suck as going to map and back 
  • Fixes / Workarounds (N/A)
  • Mods (None)
  • Other Notes (N/A)

I've seen this multiple times now, too.

Most recently on a couple of mun missions where my craft (different craft each time) got back to Kerbin and I was unable to stage to jettison the transfer stage (I was able to trigger the decoupler form the Parts Manager), and then also I was unable to stage for the last stage - parachutes (again, able to trigger in Parts Manager, but pressing space did nothing). Prior in both flights I staged numerous times using space bar without issue. In the handful of cases where I've seen this, it's been the last two stages in a multistage rocket which started with 6 to 8 stages total.

• KSP Version  0.1.0.0.20892 On an NVME
  • Operating System and version  (Windows 11 Pro on an NVME)
  • CPU i9-9900K @ 3.60Ghz
  • GPU AMD Radeon RX 580
  • Ram 32GB DDR4
    • Staging with space bar stopped working toward end of flight (last two stages)
    • Expected Behavior
    • Observed Behavior
      • Does not stage. Was able to effect staging through Parts Manager
    • Steps to Replicate
      • Unclear - both instances I've seen this were long runs with many views and even saves/exits/restarts 
  • Fixes / Workarounds: Use Parts Manager to effect staging
  • Mods (None)
  • Other Notes (N/A)

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Space bar staging stopped working, but green "GO" button works as "fix"

• KSP Version  0.1.0.0.20892 On SSD
  • Operating System and version  (Windows 10 Pro)
  • CPU i9-10500K @ 4.90 Ghz
  • GPU Nvidia RTX 3070Ti
  • Ram 32GB DDR4
    • Staging with space bar stopped working at launch and there after
    • Expected Behavior
    • Observed Behavior
      • Does not stage. Was able to effect staging "GO" button
    • Steps to Replicate
      • Unclear - both instances I've seen this were long runs with many views and even saves/exits/restarts 
  • Fixes / Workarounds: Use green "GO" button
  • Mods (None)
  • Other Notes (N/A)

I can confirm that I have observed this multiple times. Have not identified a pattern though. 

KSP Version: 0.1.0.0.20892
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K CPU @ 5.2GHz
RAM:       32.0 GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5
GPU:   NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X

Graphics : 4k native (all settings maxed)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this happen to me several times.  Even today after receiving patch 1.  Just had it happen a little while ago after landing on Tylo, doing some EVAing, and then reverting to the VAB.  When I went to launch another rocket the spacebar was no longer causing staging to occur, but clicking the big green button still worked.

I've only ever been able to get the spacebar to be able to trigger staging again by restarting the game.  Tried quick saving then quick loading.  Tried quitting to the main menu and loading a save from before the issue started.  The issue persists even after doing any of these.

I have figured out how to reproduce this bug.  At least in one method.

Go on an EVA and jump.  You seem to need to be on the surface of a body other than Kerbin.  I did it by loading a save I have where I'm in a craft I landed on Tylo.  Then go to the VAB and launch a rocket.  Spacebar can no longer trigger staging for me.

I tried loading my Tylo save and just EVAing, and then immediately going to the VAB and trying to launch something.  No issue if I do it this way.

I also tried loading my Tylo save, EVAing, making a jump while standing on my ship, and then going to the VAB and trying to launch something.  No issue if I do it this way.

Further information: Re-entering a vehicle seems to restore the spacebar's to staging ability.

I followed the procedure above to get into the state where the spacebar could no longer trigger staging.  Then I loaded my Tylo save, EVAed, and then immediately boarded the craft again.  Then I immediately went to the VAB and found I could launch a rocket by triggering staging with the spacebar.

I am able to get spacebar staging broken and unbroken over and over this way.

Side note: I couldn't get this bug to happen by jumping on Kerbin.  Not on the launch pad, not on the runway.  I even tried going away from the KSC and jumping, but even that didn't seem to reproduce the bug.

Further side note: I think this other bug I reported might be related: Input Frozen Blocking Queing Lagging

Quick fix that avoids restarting the game:

1. Start a new ship in VAB
  2. Just a single pod
  3. Launch
  4. EVA
  5. Board

Staging should be working as normal again.

What is strange is that spacebar should literally be linked to the launch green button, so having the spacebar not working half of the time while the green button does is definitely an improper conception

Can confirm that with parachutes only stage (no save\load activities in between launch and staging bug) - launch and staging untill the last two  stages (drogue chutes and main chute) worked fine but wasn't able to trigger these two stages with [SPACEBAR] only by selecting Activate on parts

• 4 weeks later...