What do the icons in map mean?

Well I'm paying the price now for always relying on MJ in KSP1 to do my planetary transfers because I have only a rough idea how it works purely with the map and without any help from plugins.

I am trying to get to Duna and I think I should be close to a departure window that would get me into it's ROI (if the rightangled triangle method still applies in KSP2). But I don't know what to the icons are trying to tell me and how to adjust my maneuver to actually get captured by Duna. I imagine that I:1 and I:2 mean intercept 1 and 2 of my and Duna's orbit but what is the prograde looking icon about the other I:1 and I:2 trying to tell me? Can I know from the map as seen in the screenshot what I need to adjust? Feeling a bit lost.

[EDIT]: through try and error I figured that I need to get the I:1 without and with target icon to line up as perfectly as possible and have 0.0° divergence, then I finally managed to get captured by Duna and am sitting now in a nice 100km orbit around it. So to answer my own question - and please correct me if my conclusions are wrong - if I:1 with icon (target) is ahead of I:1 without icon (my orbit), it means the target will be ahead and vice versa and I need to adjust departure time accordingly to bring both together. Or was this sheer dumb luck?

A2kWuOt.jpeg

Edited by milosh

These are carry over KSP1 icons. There was a tutorial in KSP1 that explained these as part of the rendezvous/docking tutorial. They are your intercept points for your selected target. There are two pairs. I:1 & I:1 Target. Basically these are the points that you should be entering the target SOI. Though in KSP2 the intercept points are a bit different it seems, Since they add the SOI points separately and don't always appear when they should (see my bug report post).

If you hover over the Intercept flags you'll see your closest approach distance and relative velocity. If you adjust your orbit maneuver to get I:1 and I:1 target points as closely as possible to each other, your approach distance should be at its minimum. Thought your relative velocity could be quite high. The second pair of I points is a second approach opportunity for the same orbital maneuver.

Hope that helps a bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.