KSP should accept BitCoin

pointmanzero

I'll accept bitcoin as valid currency if it can last at least 10 years. I just cannot believe it will not be hacked or abused.

Well like I said even if it was... the network itself would know immediately.

I guess that is the big unknown and why people are hesitant to invest in it.

Its not WILL there be a bitcoin scandal... but WHEN...how will the market respond to it.

The network is designed to handle any abuse... in theory.

At the very least it would draw attention to KSP as being one of the few projects that accept Bitcoins. Just thought I would bring it up as an idea. Didn't know there would be this much skepticism.

Two reasons why. It takes very strong computers a full 2 days to create a hash table for just .10 Bitcoin. The encryption will NOT be broken.

I'm afraid that this may not be true for very long. The maths underlying hashes has been shown to be vulnerable to attack - there are algorithms (underpinned by large lookup tables) that can break the 2 older of the commonly used hash algorithms on a laptop computer. It only takes a few days to do this, less if the lookup tables are stored on SSD.

So far the mathematicians who discovered these vulnerabilities have not released the methods they used. But it is certain that other people are working on this issue with malign intent, and there is a very real danger that no existing hash-based security system will survive for more than a couple of decades - maybe very much less long.

Your other points seem (at least superficially) convincing, so I won't argue them!

And yeah, people are always sceptical about novel currency systems. Banknotes were met with extreme suspicion at first ans there were several phases of introduction, withdrawal and reintroduction before they became commonly accepted.

Didn't know there would be this much skepticism.

The skepticism I understand. The harshness that some people are responding to it, I don't get. EDIT: I guess that's just the internets for you.

I already donated with USD via paypal, so the point's moot to me. I was just trying to point out the things that concern me about the whole bitcoin system.

TIL a little bit about WTF bitcoins are and how they work. Thanks for that anyways, but I'm not gonna use any just yet, and I have no say in if KSP wants to take them. :)

And look what happens when you put all your faith in Wall St.

Generating your own 'Currency' is a dumb idea for all the reasons listed. How true are the statments that the electricity you use to generate coins is worth more than the coins are anyway?

And as far as debating the merits of BitCoins vs. what BC can do for Kerbal - You have to say that to decide whether BC is actually good for Kerbal (read: anything at all) one must first decide if it's worthy of consideration in the first place, ergo discussions on BitCoin and your foolishness are within the scope of your thread.

With more then 400,000 downloads of ALPHA build's I'm not sure that KSP needs help from exotic payment systems to attract attention.

I'm gonna back away from this thread down though, Pointmanzero seems like an alt of someone to me.

With more then 400,000 downloads of ALPHA build's I'm not sure that KSP needs help from exotic payment systems to attract attention.

I'm gonna back away from this thread down though, Pointmanzero seems like an alt of someone to me.

He's either a Supertroll or that very special kind of idiot. Whichever, perhaps this thread should now be locked?

Edit: He's probably both.

Idiot.... hmmm.. perhaps.

Maybe I am.

I do scientific research on proteins for a living.

but I am sure I am stupid.

-Admin www.talk-reason.com

Go ask those guys if I'm an idiot....and while you are there, ask my wife who is a director of Neuroscience if I am an idiot.

Ya know... nevermind ALL that. You should see my portfolio. Real life... not Bitcoin. I have both.

This forum is amazing.

I am beside myself.

You suggest an idea. Then people get hostile towards your idea. When you try to explain to them they have been misinformed about the reason they are hostile... they get even more hostile and insult you.

I think I will just stay in my forum and chat room for now on.

It is more civil.

Mods, you should know these posters are driving off potential investors in KSP.

I have pre-ordered but I was willing to contribute more (including cashing in my Bitcoins) if you guys didn't accept them.

Nevermind all that now.

I look forward to new developments of the program.

But this community is too insulting for my taste.

Oh, wow. Insulting? Insulting? I haven't insulted you once, but I'm tempted to now. I've said that BitCoin is terrible, and I've said why. You have chosen, for reasons best known to yourself, to take this as some kind of a personal attack. FYI: Bitcoin is not you. This is an important fact. You should remember it!

Then, when you realised that being a BitCoin evangelist was getting you nowhere, you decided to make unprovable claims about wealth and intelligence. Real slick, champ. Real slick. And then came the ragequit.

It is like a microcosm of 'how to argue badly'.

That's right. Be gone, troll. Shoo back to whence you came never to return.

Mods, you should know these posters are driving off potential investors in KSP.

I have pre-ordered but I was willing to contribute more (including cashing in my Bitcoins) if you guys didn't accept them.

Nevermind all that now.

This is so laughworthy for so many reasons there is no adequate way to describe your delusions of grandeur except by your own words.

It is like a microcosm of 'how to argue badly'.

I was never arguing. I was addressing concerns about the currency. You seem to be misinformed and I was politely correcting you.

If you took 5 mins with google you would verify my claims of ....what did you call it? 'intelligence and wealth?'

Never claimed wealth. That is such a subjective term. It's not like I am anonymous.

This is so laughworthy for so many reasons there is no adequate way to describe your delusions of grandeur except by your own words.

Wanting to contribute more money to the development of KSP is delusions of grandeur?

Are you thick?

Not sure if twelves years old.... or just grasping at straws.

Idiot.... hmmm.. perhaps.

Maybe I am.

I do scientific research on proteins for a living.

but I am sure I am stupid.

-Admin www.talk-reason.com

Go ask those guys if I'm an idiot....and while you are there, ask my wife who is a director of Neuroscience if I am an idiot.

Ya know... nevermind ALL that. You should see my portfolio. Real life... not Bitcoin. I have both.

I'll probably get in warned and hopefully get this thread locked for this but it needs to be said.

scientists who bury their head in things like protein research are usually the kind of people who have no common sense, having given it all up for knowledge in a specialized field.

Tell me. How does your knowledge of proteins have anything to do with your knowledge of currency, economies, or social interaction?

Oh wait, they're all entirely separate disciplines. So they don't. You ARE an idiot, at everything but looking at proteins.

The difference between a wise man and a fool is a wise man knows that he is a fool, while the fool thinks he is wise.

you seem to think you are very wise indeed.

Now will some mod please lock this thread. I think this is Rocket Surgeons Alt and there is nothing useful left to be said in it.

I'll probably get in warned and hopefully get this thread locked for this but it needs to be said.

scientists who bury their head in things like protein research are usually the kind of people who have no common sense, having given it all up for knowledge in a specialized field.

Tell me. How does your knowledge of proteins have anything to do with your knowledge of currency, economies, or social interaction?

Oh wait, they're all entirely separate disciplines. So they don't. You ARE an idiot, at everything but looking at proteins.

The difference between a wise man and a fool is a wise man knows that he is a fool, while the fool thinks he is wise.

you seem to think you are very wise indeed.

Now will some mod please lock this thread. I think this is Rocket Surgeons Alt and there is nothing useful left to be said in it.

I assure you I am not an 'alt'.