[1.10-1.12.x] Minor Planet Sampling | v1.0.1 | 12 August 2023

DeltaDizzy

Minor Planet Sampling| V1.0.1| Unkerballed science with asteroids!

screenshot4.png

(image taken in Sandbox)

Have you ever wondered why Squad added comets and a Rosetta recreation but required kerbals to do any science at either them or asteroids? Wouldn't it be nice to have a reason to send missions to asteroids earlier on in the game, to add value other than mining or proving you can capture one? Minor Planet Sampling solves this by allowing probes to perform the surface sampling experiment that comets and asteroids are equipped with! Due to technical reasons and modding effort required, the vessel doing the collection *must* have a part onboard that can act as a science container, so the Breaking Ground sample arms and the stock surface ore scanner have been given the ability to store one experiment.

REQUIREMENTS

ModuleManager
HarmonyKSP
Neither of these are included in the download!

DOWNLOAD
CKAN (Recommended)

Manual (GitHub)

License: MIT

CKAN is HEAVILY recommended, as it manages the dependencies for you. I will not spend a lot of time troubleshooting manual installs, and will just redirect you to CKAN. To report bugs, file an issue here. Bug reports must include the mod and KSP versions, a copy of your KSP.log file, and minimum reproduction steps.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

This has been one of my biggest sticking points ever since Shared Horizons and Breaking Ground came out around the same time, and they didn't just.... do this, in the first place!

I'd posted about it before, but never really chased it down. Thanks for taking on one of my particular bugbears with the game! Now I can do my li'l OSIRIS-REx type missions, that my heart has been set on (and disappointed there was no reason to) since 2016 when I saw it up close!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.