Chadgaskerman's Cutting Room Floor

Looking Back on my various save files in KSP, I notice that quite a few of my designs often don't see the light of day, whether that's because I lose interest and work on something new, or the concept itself proves to be unworkable or otherwise broken. I'm making this thread to archive my efforts and document various methods I've used to build my craft. I'm also considering putting these craft on kerbalX if there's any interest even if they are below my usual standard of quality.

1. Submarines

1a. TEK-46

nnc7zlJ.png
The TEK-46 was one of my earlier experimentations with submarines, the layout is simple using a basic MK3 fuesalage turned its side to allow kerbals to stand out on deck easily. The majority of the hull is taken up by two long cargo bays containing a several hundred tons of ore in order to manage the boyancy. The Submarine itself also uses a propellor made from the breaking ground assets meaning the range is technically infinite, although at the disadvantage of not being stable in any form of time warp.
hGs1Tyb.png
Underwater the Boat is capable of ~17m/s whereas surfaced it can only muster ~15m/s. In total the craft only consists of 86 parts and weighs in at a hefty 456.5 tons.

Spoiler

pWFgVP1.png

https://kerbalx.com/chadgaskerman/TEK-46

Edited by chadgaskerman

1b. Project 432
juDg01X.png

Slightly more refined than the TEK-46, the Project 432 features a far more aesthetically pleassing hull with a MK3 backbone surrounded by a set of six MK2 fueselages, creating a hexagonal cross section. Unfortunatley I have neither the patience nor the time to tune the ballast so it either ends up sinking regardless or remaining on the surface. I'd be more than willing to furnish someone with the craft file if they would like to work on it.

https://kerbalx.com/chadgaskerman/Project-432

1c. Project 600
bpgch0y.png

At a time where I was experimenting with using fairings for runways, it seem wise to see if it would work in other unorthodox ways, for example as the hull of the submarine. They great thing about fairings for this application is that you can just about get whatever shape you want, the downside, however, is the fact that fairing shells are abnormally boyant, and with no way to effectively measure the centre of boyancy, this too was a project abandoned.

Edited by chadgaskerman

2 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

Unfortunatley I have neither the patience nor the time to tune the ballast so it either ends up sinking regardless or remaining on the surface. I'd be more than willing to furnish someone with the craft file if they would like to work on it.

I'm up for it as long as you are happy with a KERS[tm] stock solution which entails on-demand production of sea water (a.k.a. MP) as ballast and standard drain valves for venting tanks.

For this craft, trim tanks might be required as well as main ballast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.