Lifeboat Class Escape Pods

Inspired by the insane-but-real MOOSE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOOSE), I've begun working on a series of emergency re-entry vehicles. They are designed to minimize weight, while simultaneously providing a survivable re-entry. Two models exist currently, with a third in the works. Currently, the Lifeboat series offers 1-man, 2-man and 3-man pods. All versions are much lighter than traditional 3-man command, with the Lifeboat-MK1 weighing in less than 1 ton, Lifeboat-MK2 weighing it at 1.5, tons and the Lifeboat-MK3 weighing in at 1.9 tons. A traditional 3-man pod and RCS tank weighs approximately 5 tons. The only required mod is either mechjeb or any other mod which allows control of unmanned vehicles, since the passengers have no control of the craft. In the files attached, I have used a slightly modified Kerbal X (the one that comes with the game) as a launch vehicle, but anything which allows nose-mounting and can reach orbit will suffice. The Lifeboat is nose-mounted on the vehicle. Simply EVA crew onto the Lifeboat's ladders one at a time, decouple, and use the RCS to de-orbit. It is recommended to turn off Smart A.S.S. or any other autopilot functions, as they will waste RCS fuel. It is also recommended to use RCS to slow the pods as much as possible a few moments before each phase of chute deployment, to alleviate dangerous G-loads. Last, do not try to fight any rotations with RCS, as it is extremely ineffective and just wastes fuel. When flown correctly, the pod touches down at a gentle 4.1-5m/s.

The following album is the maiden voyage of the Lifeboat-MK2, which is the 2-man version.

http://imgur.com/a/vvzPh

All versions have been tested and proven to be able to de-orbit from 175km, circular orbits. Higher orbits should be possible, but users should be aware that the pods must have a shallow re-entry from high orbits, as the G-load on chute deployment can cause loss of parachute at high speeds. Note, at least one crewman must be in the main vehicle to decouple the Lifeboat. In the event that the entire crew is to board the Lifeboat, the final crewman must decouple the Lifeboat before he boards it. Also note, Lifeboat-MK2 is only rated for exactly two passengers, no more, no less. Likewise, Lifeboat-MK3 is only rated for exactly three passengers. The designer takes no responsibility for loss of life or property in the event that these guidelines are not adhered to.

Edited by Millitron

I actually thought about this, but the range is actually pretty good. I only tested up to 175km, because the drops take quite awhile without time-warp, around 12 minutes. Higher drops would take even longer. I had plenty of fuel though after the deorbit burn for both models though. In its current incarnation, the 1-man version actually is just an RCS tank. I'm not ready to release it to the public yet, but I believe it will weigh less than 1 ton.

The Lifeboat-MK1 is ready for the public! It is a 1-man version of the escape pod, and weighs just under 1 ton!

It should be noted that the chutes may not survive re-entry, but this is not fatal. The pod RCS has enough fuel and thrust to soft-land, though it IS somewhat difficult. Thankfully, Kermans are capable of surviving much harder impacts than RCS tanks, so while the pod may not always survive, the passenger should. At any rate, its better than just leaving him stranded in space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.