Abort with Other Engines

Homer_S

So,

I'm making a Mercury clone and I'm using sepratrons as an abort tower. How do I use the abort action group (can I?) to separate the capsule from the booster and fire the sepratrons? I only see activate and toggle when adding the sepratrons but cannot make them fire without staging.

Homer

There should be a control-group panel option to move the sepratrons to the abort stage. I think the boosters will remain also on standard staging, so attach them to the abort system decoupler, where you launch the decoupler mounting the abort stack to the command pod. When you break the abort tower off (usually as part of the Stage 2 separation) you fire the decoupler, let the abort tower shoot off, as simultaneously the first stage falls away from below.

On 10/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, Geredis said:

There should be a control-group panel option to move the sepratrons to the abort stage. I think the boosters will remain also on standard staging, so attach them to the abort system decoupler, where you launch the decoupler mounting the abort stack to the command pod. When you break the abort tower off (usually as part of the Stage 2 separation) you fire the decoupler, let the abort tower shoot off, as simultaneously the first stage falls away from below.

Thanks. I have done this with either or both of the available options, Activate Engine and/or Toggle Engine, along with the capsule decoupler. Neither results in the happy case of the capsule being pulled off the stack with firing sepratrons. I can stage the sepratrons with the tower decoupler just fine.

The current unsatisfying result is abort fires the decoupler and arms the sepratrons. I have to remove the tower decoupler from the stage and then hit spacebar.

Homer

Edited by Homer_S
clarity

FYI,

I think this might be a bug or the Abort key has changed. I'm clicking the "!" icon and all I get is the decoupler and arming of the motor. I tried with the escape tower part, Bottle Rocket, without luck either.

OK: The issue is putting the coupler in the same action group as the abort motor. If I just put the abort motor(s) (Bottle Rocket or 3 Sepratrons) in the Abort group and the decoupler in the Brake group, then it works. Brake to well break the capsule off and abort to fire the motor(s). I'm not sure that is right.

Homer

Edited by Homer_S
Additional information

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.