Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Yes there is. I recommend doing an ISA scan of the moon as well to make sure your deposits located aren't underwater. My latest scan of Laythe found several islands with deposits on them but many many more deposits underwater.

I was actually thinking of trying my hand at making a drill rig platform using KAS and pontunes from fire spitter.

Need to find some parts that sink and will pull a few drills down with them, and then find a deposit in relatively shallow water(around 2-300m)

I hate to sound like a fool, but is there Kethane ANYWHERE on Laythe? I'd just like to know before I launch my modified version, which is much heavier than I had anticipated... Thanks!

Every planetary body has Kethane, even the Sun.

@KhaosCorp - How are you powering your Kethane scanners? A whole mess of RTGs? I tend to build lighter than a lot of players so I'm trying to optimize my use of RTGs over batteries and solar based on the number of scanners and orbital period.

You can rely completely on solar power. Just make sure when you change your inclination to polar that you do it over the terminator between night and day, and you will have sunlight full time.

Eventually your probes will end up going into shadow again after some high speed time warp during interplanetary travel, but that takes many many months and presumably by then you'll already have mapped your target. You'll also occasionally get eclipsed by your parent planet but that's brief :)

Yes there is. I recommend doing an ISA scan of the moon as well to make sure your deposits located aren't underwater. My latest scan of Laythe found several islands with deposits on them but many many more deposits underwater.

I was actually thinking of trying my hand at making a drill rig platform using KAS and pontunes from fire spitter.

Need to find some parts that sink and will pull a few drills down with them, and then find a deposit in relatively shallow water(around 2-300m)

Thanks guys. I didn't know that there's Kethane on every celestial object, as I've never actually utilized Kethane before. And the Kethane Rig sounds like a good idea, I might try that as well, not just for Laythe, though, if my scans on Kerbin show any Kethane underwater, which it's sounding like that'll be somewhere there.

Refueling from a planet like Laythe is only useful (in my opinion) for use inside its own atmosphere, unless you have a very good build for a jet powered ssto tanker. I have one of those but I Still don't extract kethane from Laythe I get my fuel from its neighbor Vall. It only costs around 1000-1100 dV to land and the same to take off, so it's quite cheap. I just tow a large barge from Vall orbit to Laythe orbit with all the fuel needed for the colony's orbital operations. (14 orange tanks)

@KhaosCorp - How are you powering your Kethane scanners? A whole mess of RTGs? I tend to build lighter than a lot of players so I'm trying to optimize my use of RTGs over batteries and solar based on the number of scanners and orbital period.

I use a combination of RTG, batteries and solar panels. I never rely just on solor power, since a true polar orbit is not the best for mapping (most bodies its between 75-90deg inclination). I don't rely on just RTGs either, it would be to heavy. My satellites typicaly have 8-14 of the med keth scanners on em

Mining the Sun.... That could be an achievement.

But a certain Doctor Who episode might be worth watching first.

Bill: "Bob? What's happening? Bob"

Bob: "Burn with me!"

:0.0:

You can rely completely on solar power. Just make sure when you change your inclination to polar that you do it over the terminator between night and day, and you will have sunlight full time.

Eventually your probes will end up going into shadow again after some high speed time warp during interplanetary travel, but that takes many many months and presumably by then you'll already have mapped your target. You'll also occasionally get eclipsed by your parent planet but that's brief :)

This is only true with a POLAR orbit....I don't use polar orbits, they are NOT the fastest way to map. Ideal inclination changes depending on body size and orbital altitude, but its almost never ever 90degrees.

This is only true with a POLAR orbit....I don't use polar orbits, they are NOT the fastest way to map. Ideal inclination changes depending on body size and orbital altitude, but its almost never ever 90degrees.

Polar doesnt mean 90º exclusively.

I use it at my 80-85º orbits and it works just fine. The Higher your orbit is the lower inclination you can use and still achieve full time solar power. I'm not saying I only use solar power, I also hybrid with Batteries and RTG's, but you are mistaken in believing that it only works at a 90º orbit. (I also have much much lower orbits than you generally use, so thats not a problem either)

From WIKI:

A polar orbit is an orbit in which a satellite passes above or nearly above both poles of the body being orbited (usually a planet such as the Earth, but possibly another body such as the Sun) on each revolution. It therefore has an inclination of (or very close to) 90 degrees to the equator. Except in the special case of a polar geosynchronous orbit, a satellite in a polar orbit will pass over the equator at a different longitude on each of its orbits.

80deg inclination is NOT a polar orbit. Nasa uses a tolerance of +/- 3deg. Anything outside that range is NOT a polar orbit, just an inclined orbit. LOTS of stuff factors into this, not just inclination and altitude.

http://www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm

a helpful resource for all things space

Definitions of words aside, read my last post about where this method works. That was the entire point of this, not to be argued with about misusing a single word, which my orbit doesn't qualify for by less than a few degrees.

HoY is good person with solid ideas and advice!

Same to you:) I can chalk this one up to Monday morning with too little coffee, and frustrations with the car dealership not actually fixing my AC even after sitting around there for 2 hours this morning!

Is it possible to spawn/generate a kethane deposit at a specific location like you could when using the old debugger? I have a nice Mun base that's not on a deposit which I built after 0.20 but before the Kethane update and would like to add a kethane refinery to it without having to redo the whole thing on top of the deposit (I like the location, got a few flags around and a descent section of an old lander as well). I guess I could try editing the kethane.cfg file's random seed for the Mun until I get a deposit but I'm not sure if I can edit that and see the changes without a KSP restart or if that's from where the plugin reads the data about deposit locations.

Also I could use that to just spawn a deposit under the KSC for mining rig testing.

The debug tool works for the newest version, I have never used it personally but from my understanding you simply need to land a ship with the debug tool at your Mun base and activate the debugger. It will spawn kethane under your ship and thus around your base. Someone please correct me if I'm way off here :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.