Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

I landed my first tower of .6! It is a beast too, and conveniently (and legit) located south down the coast from KSC. In fact close enough it would not even be a terrible drive in a rover to collect that delicious keth

unfortunately imgur is being a butt so I will upload a pic later

Edited by PringleMan

I'm working on implementing the long-planned geodesic map overlay (like this and this) for the 0.7 release. If I still can't work out all the math (I'm currently multiplying quaternions on my whiteboard) in a timely manner, I'll come up with some silly way to make bigger maps without murdering scan resolution.

Maybe you can try this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/31831-Is-there-a-way-to-change-stock-shader-for-the-celestials-in-map-view ?

I must be stupid, but how to I get the old kethane pockets from the .5 into .6? I'm confused, cuz I thought it was based off of a seed that is tied to a specific save... I upgraded from .5 to .6, and I just launched in, and the pockets are in completely different spots...

The kethane seeds are saved in a set of files in the plugin data. You can reset a specific body or even the entire solar system by deleting these files and reloading the game.

To update the save files from .5 to .6 first you have to run .5.1 in between to update the files, then you can move them to the .6 version

Refueling from a planet like Laythe is only useful (in my opinion) for use inside its own atmosphere, unless you have a very good build for a jet powered ssto tanker. I have one of those but I Still don't extract kethane from Laythe I get my fuel from its neighbor Vall. It only costs around 1000-1100 dV to land and the same to take off, so it's quite cheap. I just tow a large barge from Vall orbit to Laythe orbit with all the fuel needed for the colony's orbital operations. (14 orange tanks)
Mining the Sun.... That could be an achievement.

But a certain Doctor Who episode might be worth watching first.

Bill: "Bob? What's happening? Bob"

Bob: "Burn with me!"

:0.0:

How is that any different from how Jeb normally acts? I always imagined he screamed something similar before bursting out into maniacal laughter as the pod slams into the ground...

Well, have you seen that Doctor Who episode? Well, their tone of voice is changed, plus, I imagined his helmet visor being blackened quite nicely. And well... I won't explain it for those who are going through that part of the new series of Doctor Who.

I'm still running Kethane 0.4 (KSP0.20 workaround fix) because I like where my deposits are. I have two questions:

1) Is the electrical generator backwards compatible? (Can I grab the part only?)

2) What is the best upgrade path for me, with a preference for maintaining deposit locations?

So I just tried the new generators, thinking they would help me get around my energy problem on the Trawler. Yeah, well...apparently no such luck. Those things consume so much Kethane when running at close to full power, they eat more per second than the rig mines. Ugh. Guess I'm gonna add a couple more and see if it helps. Depends on the conversion function though. Hoping it's not linear.

I'm still running Kethane 0.4 (KSP0.20 workaround fix) because I like where my deposits are. I have two questions:

1) Is the electrical generator backwards compatible? (Can I grab the part only?)

2) What is the best upgrade path for me, with a preference for maintaining deposit locations?

1. The generator requires the 0.6 DLL.

2. There's no easy way to do it. There is, potentially, a hard way. You'll need to build a custom DLL. The first step is to set the assembly version config so it matches the 0.4 DLL you have precisely; this is so deserialization still works. Then you'll need to write a routine that judges how "close" two sets of deposits are, and another routine to try random seeds and see which one gets closest to your old deposits.

So I just tried the new generators, thinking they would help me get around my energy problem on the Trawler. Yeah, well...apparently no such luck. Those things consume so much Kethane when running at close to full power, they eat more per second than the rig mines. Ugh. Guess I'm gonna add a couple more and see if it helps. Depends on the conversion function though. Hoping it's not linear.

That shouldn't be the case. The generator consumes 0.5 Kethane per second and produces 75 ElectricCharge per second. A heavy drill consumes 24 ElectricCharge to produce 5 Kethane. Only 3.2% of the Kethane you mine from a heavy drill goes toward generating power, and a little bit more for the radial drill. If you're running the generator inside an atmosphere, you'll find it runs more efficiently (same power output, less fuel consumption).

i cant find any kethane, I scan, and my map says its there, my scanner says its there when i'm landed, but my drill finds nothing, is there something im missing, it used to work, the only mods i use are mech jeb and KAS and theres no conflict that I'm aware of, i even did a clean install so i dont know why i cant find any useful kethane

EDIT: Figured It Out, You Cannot Sit The Big Drill Unit Directly On The Ground, It Will sit below the kethane level and wont mine anything even if its there

Edited by sanity

2. There's no easy way to do it. There is, potentially, a hard way. You'll need to build a custom DLL. The first step is to set the assembly version config so it matches the 0.4 DLL you have precisely; this is so deserialization still works. Then you'll need to write a routine that judges how "close" two sets of deposits are, and another routine to try random seeds and see which one gets closest to your old deposits.

Isn't the new kethane file an asci file? Thus editable? If so Gavin can make sure there is kethane at the spots where desired. I presume he is not attached to all kethane sites, just one or two where he colonized.

Might be another way. If you backup your ships/colonies, wipe all kethane data, update kethane, find a suitable new spot for your colony. Then use one of the editing tools to relocate your entire colony object by object. This will probably change your horizon but at least you bring your colony into the new millenium.

Isn't the new kethane file an asci file? Thus editable? If so Gavin can make sure there is kethane at the spots where desired. I presume he is not attached to all kethane sites, just one or two where he colonized.

Might be another way. If you backup your ships/colonies, wipe all kethane data, update kethane, find a suitable new spot for your colony. Then use one of the editing tools to relocate your entire colony object by object. This will probably change your horizon but at least you bring your colony into the new millenium.

Kethane deposits are now generated from a seed, so you can't modify each deposit individually. If you're only interested in one deposit location, you can use the Kethane debugger to find a seed with a deposit underneath your current location.

That shouldn't be the case. The generator consumes 0.5 Kethane per second and produces 75 ElectricCharge per second. A heavy drill consumes 24 ElectricCharge to produce 5 Kethane. Only 3.2% of the Kethane you mine from a heavy drill goes toward generating power, and a little bit more for the radial drill. If you're running the generator inside an atmosphere, you'll find it runs more efficiently (same power output, less fuel consumption).

Must have been a one time bug, 'cause I can't reproduce it now. If I ever manage to, I'll let you know.

Is there anywhere I can dl .5.1? The dl link on the first post is for .6... Also, I have already run .6 without .5.1. If I put back the old Kethane folder, run KSP, and then use .5.1 and run KSP, will it properly upgrade, or did I kinda screw myself over?

EDIT: Found .5.1 on github! Second part of the question still applies tho... :3

Edited by Playful1510
Found it!

1. The generator requires the 0.6 DLL.

An interesting coding challenge! I haven't been having much luck with my custom Kethane map visualiser (it makes my game CTD, Unity is still a mystery to me), this might let me understand better how Kethane mod is working.

Kethane deposits are now generated from a seed, so you can't modify each deposit individually. If you're only interested in one deposit location, you can use the Kethane debugger to find a seed with a deposit underneath your current location.

Ah. Much easier. Why didn't I think of that? It really is just one or two sites so it makes sense. Now to choose between the deposit on Eve or the deposit on the Mun. I guess 'moving' on the Mun is easier!

Is there anywhere I can dl .5.1? The dl link on the first post is for .6...
If you are currently running 0.5, you should first install Kethane 0.5.1

The same sentence that says you need 0.5.1 first also links you to 0.5.1.

Also, I have already run .6 without .5.1. If I put back the old Kethane folder, run KSP, and then use .5.1 and run KSP, will it properly upgrade, or did I kinda screw myself over?

Try it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the deposit seeds were lost. That said, deposits are only saved when a craft with a drill present is saved to the persistence file, so you may be in luck.

EDIT: Found .5.1 on github!

I do not distribute the downloads from Github. You may have found the sources, but that's not what you want. Use the quoted link above.

@Majiir, brilliant work man - love what you have done with the new release. (I'm pretty new, so it's really the first time I'm getting into kethane/resources). I downloaded your mod along with EvilC's EL mod/ore extension and already have built it to my own suiting. You made it so easy! I don't even know what language any of this is in, but it's easy to interpret and modify (at least cfg files). With your plugin and the commented modules included in EL we have everything needed to create whatever we want, and quickly.

Get in there people! Make some cheesemium and fartonium! (or more real things if you prefer :P).

As for everyone out there, I recommend trying to edit it yourself. Leave the mod devs to use their time on more valuable things (like creating this wicked plugin, or eating some food). If you mess something up, try and macguyver it a bit - if it gets worse and you fail, then start over with a fresh dl of the mod. It won't be long until you're a resource making master.

So far I edited the resources to use more realistic values (again easy thanks to comments in code). Quickly took some parts (some stock/some modded) and made things for EL. I removed all the ore modules from the launchpad which is easy with the comments (thanks EvilC!) and used them on other parts. For ore detector I just used the stock comm dish, for drill I used an enlarged quantum strut with no strut functionality, then I made an ore refinery and 'rocketparts workshop' out of big fuel tanks from KW rocketry. Also moved all kethane/resource/EL parts to science category as I have a lot of parts in all the other categories. All in all, took me like an hour with a few loads to test - never hit an issue once, all worked like a charm as and expected. Now I have two separate detectors on my Mun satelitte (and need both) to detect ore and kethane!

Anyways, just wanted to show how easy it is for others and thank Majiir (and EvilC) for their awesome work. I can only begin to imagine the possibilities.

Cheers,

Kris

P.S. @Majiir, I love that you have separate maps for each resource to toggle between. My only small suggestion is that it might be easier when you have more resources if they each had a separate window. This allows you to compare visually to see where 'hotspots' are of deposit crossovers. (Or maybe there is a better way I don't know of yet!)

P.P.S. I also have a quick question on the resource plugin Majiir. Is the size of the deposit (showing on the map) correlated to the quantity of resources in it? I see there are min and max resource counts and vertices, but unsure if the rest is random or not.

Edited by Krisism
A pps line; arn't they great?

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Be sure to check out the documentation for editing config files. It explains in detail how the deposit generator is configured.

I also have a quick question on the resource plugin Majiir. Is the size of the deposit (showing on the map) correlated to the quantity of resources in it? I see there are min and max resource counts and vertices, but unsure if the rest is random or not.

The physical size of a deposit has no bearing on its quantity.

Like I said: I'm working on a geodesic overlay. Tossing scan maps over a planet texture is super easy, but it looks really terrible.

Maybe, but it's very convenient as the same overlay works not only in map view, but in "vessel view" as well making landings on resources a breeze.

At first I was like, why do we even need an electrical generator? Then I figured you can make self-powered kethane mining and refining rigs that operate in the night without using a ton of RTGs! And more compact rigs that don't need lots of gigantor panels and structural parts. Also kethane powered rovers. Mind = blown.

Majiir, a question/suggestion if I may: Is it possible to have kethane or other material deposit likelihood/size/ubiquity depend on the body they're on? So, e.g. Duna has plentiful metal ore but not much kethane, Eve has more kethane than God, but good luck finding metals, or the like? It might be a part of the resource configuration to set these parameters.

Also, it's probably been suggested before (and I apologize if it has), but a kethane atmospheric scoop would be a truly awesome thing. Skim runs at Jool or Eve, for example, would be a very nifty way of extracting. :-)

Majiir, a question/suggestion if I may: Is it possible to have kethane or other material deposit likelihood/size/ubiquity depend on the body they're on? So, e.g. Duna has plentiful metal ore but not much kethane, Eve has more kethane than God, but good luck finding metals, or the like? It might be a part of the resource configuration to set these parameters.

The section on Body nodes explains how to do this.

Also, it's probably been suggested before (and I apologize if it has), but a kethane atmospheric scoop would be a truly awesome thing. Skim runs at Jool or Eve, for example, would be a very nifty way of extracting. :-)

It would be! I don't have any idea when or how it would happen, but it's definitely something I'd like to see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.