Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Nothing in the Wiki - Downloaded this last night, didn't get to play with it - and now at work. So, I;'ll ask so I can design in my head until I get home.

Obviously, the scanners work on the body you're in the SOI of.

What's the maximum range of each scanner, if they're different?

How big a spot do they image per "pulse"? How often does it pulse? ...Or how wide a path, if continuous scan?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how many satellites I need for a full-body scan in some non-geologic time frame. ;)

Easy way to do this:

Step1: Make satellite with 14 of the large scanners and power enough to run them all for 14hrs in the dark. Break the scanners into 4 or so groups, action key each group separate.

Step2:Use this thread to find good optimal orbit for mapping (I know its for ISA but the concept is the same for any mapping)http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27999-ISA-Mapsat-Ideal-and-Non-Ideal-Altitudes

Step3:turn on each group of scanners a bit apart

Step4:crank up time warp to x1000 and go have a smoke

The small one has a range of 250km and a scan period of 1.5s.

The large one has 1200km and 0.9s, at cost of little more than 3x power usage. At least if I can read numbers properly.

Every pulse reveals the pixel you're above at that time on a 256x128 map...

One. Unloaded vessels don't scan so launching multiple doesn't have any advantage over using one and adjusting orbit if you should fall into resonancy. Also timewarp greatly helps to get a quick overview.

Awesome info, thanks. And OW. So I can't send my sats, and go do other missions? Ow. ow. Ow. Looks like I'll be scanning one body daily, when I go to bed. Two, if I can set up a run before work. :/

I mentioned I am tinkering with the configs between Kethane, Orbital construction and Extraplanetary launchpads earlier and in doing so I have had some success but I have hit a point where I need some help from you guys. My aim is to get the SpareParts required for OC by mixing Metal (from EL) and Plastic (I added it as a resource and added it to the Kethane converter) but looking at the code below I can't figure out how to make the conversion require two resources.

MODULE

{

name = KethaneConverter

SourceResource = Kethane

TargetResource = Plastic

ConversionEfficiency = 0.4

SourceConsumption = 10

PowerConsumption = 12

HeatProduction = 800

}

As all the resource conversion modules across both mods have "name = KethaneConverter" I thought this might be the place to ask. Also I am trying to get two resources from one conversion (metal and rocks/silicon from ore) and I think defining a second SourceResource and a second rate of consumption are going to have a similar solution (if there is one :P)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :D

Edited by tazyload

Do attaching multiple scanners to a craft have any benefit, or was that one satellite from a while back purely for sh*ts 'n giggles?

Adding more scanners helps a lot for time warp mapping. And if your referring to the scanning rig I posted a pic of it wasn't for giggles, that's the rig im currently using.

...but looking at the code below I can't figure out how to make the conversion require two resources.

This point has already been brought up several times, and Majiir has mentioned it is something for future versions. Until then we still have an entirely new resource system to play with.

This point has already been brought up several times, and Majiir has mentioned it is something for future versions. Until then we still have an entirely new resource system to play with.

I had a feeling it might not be doable but I thought I should at least ask :D I tried going through all the posts but 1100+ is a bit much for me xD

Thank you anyway and thank you Majiir for giving my missions purpose :D

I had a feeling it might not be doable but I thought I should at least ask :D I tried going through all the posts but 1100+ is a bit much for me xD

Thank you anyway and thank you Majiir for giving my missions purpose :D

This was actually talked about recently, if you start here and go back it shouldn't be but a few pages back bud.

This was actually talked about recently, if you start here and go back it shouldn't be but a few pages back bud.

Found it, although reading through a thread backwards is damn confusing xD I'm really glad this is planned though, the new resource system has made tweaking configs and adding resources almost as enjoyable as going out and getting them.

No luck. I've never used Extraplanetary Launchpads.

It sounds like you may have installed Kethane in the wrong location. You should copy the GameData folder directly into the KSP root directory and allow the folders to merge. Upload your output log if reinstalling the mod doesn't solve the issue.

I'm not a KSP dev. ;-) Release dates are sometimes hard to pin down, but versions are easier to talk about. Kethane has a narrower scope so it's easier to plan releases.

The geodesic grid map will be in the 0.7 update. As you can see, a lot of it already works great!

It looks awesome! It will be much easier and comfortable to scan for resources. Thanks for the info!

I'm taking a break from development for a couple days. When I get back, I'll be running a stream showing the development of a feature or two. In particular, I'll be working with the Kethane particle effects modules, which should make for some good eye candy. More on that soon!

I'm taking a break from development for a couple days. When I get back, I'll be running a stream showing the development of a feature or two. In particular, I'll be working with the Kethane particle effects modules, which should make for some good eye candy. More on that soon!

Sounds good! Are you planning on demoing features or will you actually be developing code live? :)

Sounds good! Are you planning on demoing features or will you actually be developing code live? :)

I'll be developing live. Since I'll be working with particles, it'll be a lot more interesting than just staring at code.

Hello, long time kerbal player and kethane lover here. Never used the forums but I need to ask a question about scanning since 0.2, When I land at the coordinates displayed on the map and start drilling I very rarely hit kethane. Is there any reason the map would be lying to me haha?

Enjoy the break sir! Looking forward to said eyecandy upon your return. Should be done with my off-shore project and the secret kethane city soon...pics to follow...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.