Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Is there any way to enable background scanning - as in place a probe in orbit, then go fly other missions and come back to have some portion of scanning done depending on how long you leave the probe in orbit?

Is there any way to enable background scanning - as in place a probe in orbit, then go fly other missions and come back to have some portion of scanning done depending on how long you leave the probe in orbit?

Currently no there is not, ship has to be active to scan.

One little request. Is it possible to have the little Kethane Scan Map window to remember its position on the screen so that it doesnt have to be re positioned constantly (Like how MechJeb windows remember their location).

Done.

Separate question though, is there a way to observe the scanned map without having to sit in mapview the entire time?

Not currently. That's a bit of a design issue. What kind of interface would even make sense?

So, if a geodesic Kethane map is drawn onto the ScaledSpace model of Kerbin, the map will appear on the title screen, and the map view, as the same ScaledSpace Kerbin is used in both instances.

Fun fact: the title screen is not the same ScaledSpace. They're scaled by the same amounts but as far as I can tell, it was done more manually.

I have the problem of (almost) everything being covered by the mesh.

That's odd. What graphics settings are you running at, including terrain settings?

Slight bug 1: the 'Resource Info' tooltip carries over from the map screen into the game screen. This happens if your cursor is hovering over a hexagon when you press 'M'.

Fixed.

Slight bug 2: the detection sound bugs out if you press 'M' repeatedly in quick succession. Resolves itself by pressing 'M' again.

Slight bug 3: the tone of the detection sound experiences a sort of Doppler effect when you scroll in or out of the game screen. Not sure if intentional.

I'll look into this. I heard something strange during testing but it seemed temporary.

Slight bug 4: the 'Kethane Scan Map' menu doesn't honour F2 command to remove GUIs.

This is a known issue.

Slight bug 5: when a map is only partially revealed, sunrises and sunsets create a weird strobe effect (as the light is blocked by filled hexagons?) in map view.

Could you elaborate? Obviously it's hard to convey strobe effects in a screenshot, but could you screenshot an angle where it happens?

Found a major bug, the map overlay blocks solar panels

Known issue.

The update from 0.7 to 0.7.1 requires an 0.7 save, right? I've been away for long enough to have not gotten 0.7 before the hotfix, so my kethane save is version 0.6.1; will this be a problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

0.7.1 is compatible with any version in the 0.5.1-0.7 range.

I don't like that it defaults to "on" in map view, tracking station, etc, and that I have to manually shut it off every time I start a game session.

Added to tracker.

Small bug.

Enable the geo map in map view.

Mouse over a planet (the resource tooltip should appear).

Switch views (press m)

The tooltip remains. The data does not update nor does the window disappear when mousing over empty space.

F1QiczU.jpg

Edited by Sandworm

Here just to say finally trying this out. Having a lot of fun trying to scan Kerbin without using any satellites (though I did use one to detect a tiny bit of Kethane on the far side of Kerbin to check it was working properly, then shut the satellite down) Not found anything near KSC yet, but its a neat feeling to be prospecting for something interesting. Covered about half the starting continent now, yet funnily enough not found anything yet lol.

Still after just how much I've played today, I think I'm starting to get what the big deal about resources was.

Here just to say finally trying this out. Having a lot of fun trying to scan Kerbin without using any satellites (though I did use one to detect a tiny bit of Kethane on the far side of Kerbin to check it was working properly, then shut the satellite down) Not found anything near KSC yet, but its a neat feeling to be prospecting for something interesting. Covered about half the starting continent now, yet funnily enough not found anything yet lol.

Still after just how much I've played today, I think I'm starting to get what the big deal about resources was.

So your going to start making people mine rubber and process into wheels now right? (JK!) Resources are fun though :P I think they add a very much needed depth element at this point, especially if you are using them to assist with something big. It also gives a bit more 'purpose' to what you're doing - something that KSP definitively lacks in the current sandbox mode.

----

Also, quick suggestion for a future version. It would be really cool to be able to 'tag' a hex on the map overlay -used for marking a spot you like or want to land at. Maybe using a bright colour or something.

Edited by Krisism
Adding vs. new post

Will there be a way to remove or minimize the Kethane overlay setting while in map mode? Together with things like Flight Engineer and RemoteTech it can get crowded, and you don't need to change that setting much.

i can,t stop plying KSP one day that Majiir comes up with new stuff...

lol i kid. Seriously, great work and thanks for everything.. my number one annoyance from 0.6 (not knowing if the last scan beep was for kethne or ore) is now gone, and knowing i can hover my mouse to know the numbers is a major improvement :D

Alright, why is it my minerals are no appearing when I'm scanning?

I've tried hitting the arrow buttons, but they just refuse to show up.

I know it is possible because the EPLP Mod did it....

Probably an error in how your plugin accesses kethane.

1. No plugin

2. Figured it out by studying the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod.

all I had to do was add

RESOURCE

{

name = Stragnelium

}

to a custom scanner.

That all you have to do to get a scanner to pick up a resource. If there is no plugin adding that resource to the game then a scanner will not register it, since its not there.

That all you have to do to get a scanner to pick up a resource. If there is no plugin adding that resource to the game then a scanner will not register it, since its not there.

Well, the resource cfg file is all there and ready, I think you are using "plugin" wrong.

It would be really cool to be able to 'tag' a hex on the map overlay -used for marking a spot you like or want to land at. Maybe using a bright colour or something.

That probably won't make it in because I'm trying to keep Kethane focused on resources. Mods like MechJeb and Lazor let you do something like this.

Will there be a way to remove or minimize the Kethane overlay setting while in map mode? Together with things like Flight Engineer and RemoteTech it can get crowded, and you don't need to change that setting much.

Yeah, I was planning on doing this. It was just more trouble than it was worth for a first release.

Well, the resource cfg file is all there and ready, I think you are using "plugin" wrong.

You should read the Kethane documentation: link

Ok I have an interesting issue when ever I put a kethane part (scanner/debugger) on a craft. When on the Launch pad with the debugger and I click 'Show debugger' my FPS drops to 1fps. When I attach a scanner, and head to the launch pad, KSP sticks in space with atmospheric sound looping in the back ground.

However if I use the same craft with no Kethane parts, its just fine..

Anyone else have a similar issue?

would the Cfg values posted here help?

Yeah, maybe. Bear in mind that config nodes are case-sensitive. I saw you paste something earlier with RESOURCE, but Kethane doesn't have any all-caps nodes.

Yeah, maybe. Bear in mind that config nodes are case-sensitive. I saw you paste something earlier with RESOURCE, but Kethane doesn't have any all-caps nodes.

Well that was fast...

anyway, here you go...

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Stragnelium
density = 0.1
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
}

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Blutonium-238
density = 0.01
flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
transfer = PUMP
}

KethaneResource
{
Resource = Stragnelium
MinRadius = 7.29
MaxRadius = 10.2
MinQuantity = 50
MaxQuantity = 450
MinVertices = 20
MaxVertices = 50
RadiusVariance = 0.85
DepositCount = 17
NumberOfTries = 30
SeedModifier = 0
ColorFull = 255, 55, 0
ColorEmpty = 55, 15, 0
Body
{
name = Kerbin
MinRadius = 4.05
DepositCount = 7
}
Body
{
name = Mun
DepositCount = 3
}
Body
{
name = Minmus
MinRadius = 1
MaxRadius = 9
DepositCount = 1
}
Body
{
name = Laythe
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Sun
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Jool
DepositCount = 0
}
}

KethaneResource
{
Resource = Blutonium-238
MinRadius = 7.29
MaxRadius = 16.2
MinQuantity = 1
MaxQuantity = 150000
MinVertices = 20
MaxVertices = 50
RadiusVariance = 0.14
DepositCount = 17
NumberOfTries = 30
SeedModifier = 0
ColorFull = 55, 0, 121
ColorEmpty = 55, 0, 21
Body
{
name = Kerbin
MinRadius = 5
DepositCount = 16
}
Body
{
name = Mun
DepositCount = 14
}
Body
{
name = Minmus
MinRadius = 5
MaxRadius = 25
DepositCount = 12
}
Body
{
name = Laythe
DepositCount = 5
}
Body
{
name = Sun
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Jool
DepositCount = 0
}
}

KethaneResource
{
Resource = Fusion Plasma
MinRadius = 1
MaxRadius = 1500
MinQuantity = 999999
MaxQuantity = 1000000
MinVertices = 20
MaxVertices = 50
RadiusVariance = 0.1
DepositCount = 17
NumberOfTries = 1
SeedModifier = 0
ColorFull = 255, 204, 0
ColorEmpty = 255, 104, 0
Body
{
name = Kerbin
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Mun
DepositCount = 0
}

Body
{
name = Minmus
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Laythe
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Sun
DepositCount = 1500
}
Body
{
name = Jool
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Eve
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Moho
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Gilly
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Ike
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Duna
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Dres
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Eeloo
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Pol
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Vall
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Tylo
DepositCount = 0
}
Body
{
name = Bop
DepositCount = 0
}
}

The Fusion Plasma can only be found on the sun, which I only found out after adding it that you cannot scan/mine due to the hex grid being offline by default.

EDIT:

Facepalm.png

Forgot the resource definition for Fusion Plasma when I made that.

Edited by Galacticruler

First, get rid of the "SeedModifier = 0" lines in each KethaneResource node. Those are only for legacy support for the Kethane resource. (The documentation had this bolded!) Second, color components are given in the range 0-1, not 0-255. Just divide each value by 255 and you'll get what you need.

You may have other config issues in the parts, but if you fix those two, your KethaneResource nodes should work fine. Also, Kethane dumps a little bit of debug info to the log when it first loads the resources; do a search for "[Kethane]" in your output log. If it says it loaded X number of resource definitions and doesn't have any errors, it accepted your KethaneResource nodes. Otherwise it'll print an error.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.