Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

I almost never crashed before, and when I updated Kethane (the only mod I updated), I crash very often.

A copy of my output_log

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon component 'MapOverlay' from assembly 'MMI_Kethane, Version=1.0.4930.12805, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 2 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 97043.

Total: 184.888519 ms (FindLiveObjects: 11.891530 ms CreateObjectMapping: 3.083921 ms MarkObjects: 168.511917 ms DeleteObjects: 0.555942 ms)

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 11184848B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture

Allocation happend at: Line:382 in

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD ] used: 30736B | peak: 0B | reserved: 65536B

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 98621660B | peak: 0B | reserved: 117302237B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 102098592B | peak: 0B | reserved: 109968688B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 384440B | peak: 0B | reserved: 2097152B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 0B | peak: 0B | reserved: 0B

I almost never crashed before, and when I updated Kethane (the only mod I updated), I crash very often.

A copy of my output_log

Kinda seems like you may be hitting 32bit memory limit.

I have only noticed 1.06mb RAM footprint increase from 0.6 to 0.7, and thats in map view with the grid up and a ship activly scanning. The gain is not even noticable when in space center scene.

Try opening up your resource monitor, start KSP, and have monitor image KSP as it loads. Watch the commit charge and see how high it gets as KSP loads parts.

For those running Linux-64bit. The use of the Kethane and/or mapsat mods does cause crashes. But Kethane is not to blame. There is an issue with the KSP executable and how it handles some image formats in 32-bit, and that includes some aspects of Kethane. Execute the following to correct these issues:

$ xxd -s +0x7cebc7 -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebc7: 01
$ echo "7cebc7: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
$ xxd -s +0x7cebc7 -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebc7: 00

$ xxd -s +0x7cebcc -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebcc: 01
$ echo "7cebcc: 00" | xxd -r - KSP.x86_64
$ xxd -s +0x7cebcc -l 1 KSP.x86_64
07cebcc: 00

(All credit to A.G. for diagnosing and fixing this problem)

See the following thread for a better explanation

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33232-Linux-version-does-not-start-unless-some-files-are-removed?p=430800&viewfull=1#post430800

Thats what I meant by fixing the memory issue... That isn't my problem in this case, but good info none-the-less.

Kinda seems like you may be hitting 32bit memory limit.

I have only noticed 1.06mb RAM footprint increase from 0.6 to 0.7, and thats in map view with the grid up and a ship activly scanning. The gain is not even noticable when in space center scene.

Try opening up your resource monitor, start KSP, and have monitor image KSP as it loads. Watch the commit charge and see how high it gets as KSP loads parts.

So ive to make a picture of my performance monitor when KSP is loading?

It might help to clean-install all your mods (being careful to keep files that store data). KSP loads EVERY texture, sound, model and config file it finds in GameData, regardless of whether it's actually been requested by a plugin. If you had a lot of seeds, you might have a lot of the old map textures hanging around, and KSP will be holding those in memory even though Kethane doesn't use them anymore.

But I reiterate: there really isn't much in Kethane that uses memory. Even looking at all the vertex, triangle, UV, normal and color arrays, and all the cached position arrays, and all the scan masks, and all the deposits, you're still talking less than 2MB utilization. (For comparison, the old 2D map textures alone exceeded 2MB.) There are a bunch of miscellaneous things like GUI skins and PartModules on vessels, but nothing that should be using a whole lot.

As promised, a scanning Satellite capable of 1000x time-warp (albeit MUCH easier with the new way the scanners work)

On the pad: It is mounted on a Zenith VII by Temstar. Available like this and without a launcher, but I expect most people will just take it this way.

1000xk1.jpg

In orbit around Kerbin, launch stage still has 1000m/s of DeltaV remaining, PLUS the 6200m/s on the Satellite itself.

1000xk2.jpg

Now I know what your going to say. Its much too big to be a satellite. Well, up until 7.0 a ship this big was needed to be able to scan at 1000x timewarp, so I just started with that and removed scanners and tested until I found the minimum, then added an extra pair again for good measures!

On the pad-

Double tap 0 to lock gimbals

with mechjeb just launch with whichever profile you want, it has lots of fuel and lots of thrust.

Once out of the atmosphere and/or at your target orbit press 1 to deploy all solar panels and toggle your scanners. 1 will not toggle the panels back in again only extend them.

Be sure to place yourself in a decent orbit for the most efficient scan time. There are charts listing Altitudes and Inclinations available here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27999-ISA-Mapsat-Ideal-and-Non-Ideal-Altitudes

Also note, that you want your orbit to be over the terminator for Night and Day. That way you will be in sunlight full time, and wont accidentally go behind the planet and lose power. There is a single RTG on board but that's just so you never lose control, it wont power the actual scanners properly. It has enough battery power to not run dry while scanning the Mun and going behind Kerbin, so it will probably work for most other Moons except the closest 3 to Jool. That giant is too big for batteries to last so there's no real point in trying.

Craft with no launcher

Craft with Zenith VII Launcher

Again, this thing has an effective DeltaV of over 7000m/s from LKO, so its absolutely Overkill, but it is enough to send to any planet or moon. Smaller is easy :)

(Crocodile Dundee Voice) You call that a satellite, that's not a satellite, this is a satellite

(click for larger picture @ photobucket)

th_Screenshotfrom2013-07-0121_05_06_zps9c6b571e.png

th_Screenshotfrom2013-07-0121_03_04_zps525b1fe4.png

Kerbin after ~5minutes @ 1k -

th_Screenshotfrom2013-07-0121_06_14_zpsc203f5ba.png

It can run quite a bit of time in the dark and has IIRC 109 scanners, 1 ISA MapSat, A few green Lazor scanners for interfacing with Romfarer's KPS, Docking Clamp [for towing], Three solar panels from KOSMOS sized for the ISS Space Station (they crank 200 units/s each and take like a minute to deploy and get to full size) and four stupidly large batteries from some pack or another (you can use the large ones from hexcans as well).

The ISA ideal orbits are actually sub-optimal for Kethane detection based on the relatively few distinct equatorial points they pass through due to the wider detection swath. I don't have my Kerbin ideal here (it is at home) but I will run the numbers for the planets when I get home and post 1k optimal Kethane orbits [basically you do what they did with the ISA ones but crank up the sidereal limits so you are passing over at least 255 distinct places at the equator. Or at least that is what I did.

Edited by elfindreams

(Crocodile Dundee Voice) You call that a satellite, that's not a satellite, this is a satellite

Thats what my satellite started out looking like, but if you read in the release notes for .7.0 youll see that scanners ignore cells that are already scanned, thus freeing up the cycle time they would have wasted. I admit, your satellite may run at 10,000x warp, but I didnt want to share a craft most people couldnt run so I made it stock+kethane+ 68 parts in orbit.

My own satellite uses the Dual solar wing from that pack,, I absolutely love that panel I just wish it would work properly when switching crafts :(

Thats what my satellite started out looking like, but if you read in the release notes for .7.0 youll see that scanners ignore cells that are already scanned, thus freeing up the cycle time they would have wasted. I admit, your satellite may run at 10,000x warp, but I didnt want to share a craft most people couldnt run so I made it stock+kethane+ 68 parts in orbit.

My own satellite uses the Dual solar wing from that pack,, I absolutely love that panel I just wish it would work properly when switching crafts :(

I know I just loved the excessive nature of it... :) The 5min pass being so good is probably mostly due to the orbit not the number of scanners but I just love the look ;)

The unpaired one works when switching crafts.. (the radial singletons) It is just the rotating one that gets futzed up.

10k is excessive in this case as I have (eyeballing it) a > 80% coverage after 5 mins at 1k and it takes longer to launch and orbit the thing then it takes to get the map I posted above. Plus being that low means I get a good first pass ISA map out of it too. That is why I went with the smaller scanners because I could get into 1k time range and still be in their range and they use less power. I think my orbit height was ~244k with an 88 inclination IIRC but I will get the numbers when I get home.

How long does yours take to get a near-complete map... my napkin math even with 7.0 indicated needing more than 10 of the mediums at 1k for a < 5min near-complete coverage (why I went overkill)

Edited by elfindreams

I just crashed again, with the same thing in the output_log

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon component 'MapOverlay' from assembly 'MMI_Kethane, Version=1.0.4930.12805, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ScaledSpace.AddScaledSpaceTransform (UnityEngine.Transform t) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kethane.MapOverlay.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and later

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 2 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 98094.

Total: 145.168732 ms (FindLiveObjects: 11.817290 ms CreateObjectMapping: 3.295973 ms MarkObjects: 128.618042 ms DeleteObjects: 0.581541 ms)

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 11184848B with 32 alignment. MemoryLabel: Texture

Allocation happend at: Line:382 in

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD ] used: 30736B | peak: 0B | reserved: 65536B

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 101250214B | peak: 0B | reserved: 115015221B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 147754112B | peak: 0B | reserved: 161731632B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 384284B | peak: 0B | reserved: 2097152B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 0B | peak: 0B | reserved: 0B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 246316B | peak: 0B | reserved: 4194304B

is it really the problem? and what is "MMI_Kethane"?

I didn't actually check to see how long it took. I launched it with hyper edit. Bunch of times while tweaking the number of scanners, but had to adjust the inclination manually the first couple times until I started doing hyper edit rendezvous instead of actual orbits. I just tested to make sure it had 100% coverage at 1000x timewarp around Mun and Minmus.

In an optimal orbit at any body this craft will be able to match any other craft with just as many or more scanners, simply because you can't get any higher resolution.

How long does yours take to get a near-complete map... my napkin math even with 7.0 indicated needing more than 10 of the mediums at 1k for a < 5min near-complete coverage (why I went overkill)

My math says a single medium detector that's never idle requires

10242 * 0.9s / (1 + ln(1000)) = 19 minutes, 25 seconds

to scan every cell. This is a lower bound; you'll basically never get a full scan with one detector in 20 minutes because the only way to avoid enough overlap is to make adjustment burns, and that requires dropping out of warp.

The NRE is normal and not a problem. I still don't think this is a Kethane issue; it looks like the overlay object is instantiated just fine, and then KSP runs out of memory trying to load a texture. The map overlay starts right as you're switching scenes, so a LOT of stuff is being loaded at that time and there aren't usually debug messages printed for them. I think you're just running too many mods (particularly part packs) and need to remove some or lower your texture settings.

[EDIT]

Thanks for deleting my post, it shows a great support for the community.

I don't have that power, talk to the forum mods.

Edited by Majiir

and later

is it really the problem? and what is "MMI_Kethane"?

MMI_Kethane.dll is the plugin that runs the kethane mod.

It looks to me like your issue is overall memory usage, not with kethane itself persay.

Did you run resource monitor while KSP was loading? What was your peak commit RAM usage for KSP as it loaded parts?

When LOADING the game it use 1gb of ram, 1,9gb in overall with alll the background programs and windows etc.

When PLAYING the game it is much higher, and then it use around 1,8 gb of ram and in overall 2,7 gb. So there is still around 600 mb ram left, so I dont know why it crash then.

Currently I have these mods:

DEMV-MK5-for-0.18

H.O.M.E-1.0.31

KAS_0.3.1

Kethane-0.7.2

Kosmos_SSPP_R4.32

KW-Rocketry-v2.4

LH_CircularSolarPanel

LH_ESApack-v0.3.11

LH_Prometheus_v5.1

MechJeb2-2.0.8.0

pWings0.4

Soviet-Pack-ver1.8.7

ST_Escape_Pod_V1.8

I will try to delete some like KW-Rocketry etc.

My math says a single medium detector that's never idle requires

10242 * 0.9s / (1 + ln(1000)) = 19 minutes, 25 seconds

to scan every cell. This is a lower bound; you'll basically never get a full scan with one detector in 20 minutes because the only way to avoid enough overlap is to make adjustment burns, and that requires dropping out of warp.

The NRE is normal and not a problem. I still don't think this is a Kethane issue; it looks like the overlay object is instantiated just fine, and then KSP runs out of memory trying to load a texture. The map overlay starts right as you're switching scenes, so a LOT of stuff is being loaded at that time and there aren't usually debug messages printed for them. I think you're just running too many mods (particularly part packs) and need to remove some or lower your texture settings.

[EDIT]

I don't have that power, talk to the forum mods.

How does time accel work in this case, I was going off of the assumption that instead of activating once ever .9 seconds it would effectively be activating once every 900s "real" time.

If that is a case if each hex covers 2.3 degrees [as previously reported by someone in this thread], taking an orbit of 241.541km @ 83.14deg (orbital period ~2580) gives a rate of about .06 hex/sec or about 54hexes per accelerated activation period (if my assumption is correct). Which means you would need 54 of them to get full coverage at 1k acceleration, no?

If that is correct, the above orbit should cross the equator in 159 distinct places (enough to cover the whole equator) over a period of 56h 58.8m or under 1k acceleration roughly 3.4m.

Now there could be a lot wrong with the above, my maths are really really really rusty. [i haven't done any real math in over 2 decades and unlike riding a bike it doesn't come back easily...] And I am sure someone (anyone) will be able to poke a lot of holes in it, please do... I have been trying to noodle my way around it and keep getting into a twist.

The other option I can think of for showing multiple resources is to have a bunch of checkboxes in the UI. The cell then displays whether all those checked resources are available or not.

How does time accel work in this case, I was going off of the assumption that instead of activating once ever .9 seconds it would effectively be activating once every 900s "real" time.

If that is a case if each hex covers 2.3 degrees [as previously reported by someone in this thread], taking an orbit of 241.541km @ 83.14deg (orbital period ~2580) gives a rate of about .06 hex/sec or about 54hexes per accelerated activation period (if my assumption is correct). Which means you would need 54 of them to get full coverage at 1k acceleration, no?

If that is correct, the above orbit should cross the equator in 159 distinct places (enough to cover the whole equator) over a period of 56h 58.8m or under 1k acceleration roughly 3.4m.

Now there could be a lot wrong with the above, my maths are really really really rusty. [i haven't done any real math in over 2 decades and unlike riding a bike it doesn't come back easily...] And I am sure someone (anyone) will be able to poke a lot of holes in it, please do... I have been trying to noodle my way around it and keep getting into a twist.

Someone said it was 2.6deg around the equator of Kerbin. Not sure how much variation you would get in that by time ya hit the poles, and the space inbetween. That may be throwing it off some, granted Im not so wonderful at math either. Other than that I dont see any holes really.

Does seem like the ideal orbit your using is from the ISA orbits thread. Those are a very good place to start, but they need adjusted a bit for kethane, more so now with 0.7. I think the variation there is that when those figures were done they didnt take into account timewarp. When that thread was made I think the max warp fpr isa was still x10. Things change alot between x10 and x1000. Still a good place to start.

I did Kerbin map at x1000 with 100% per pass resolution and almost no overlaping passes. That was with 28 of the larger scanners.

On an orbital note, sometimes I don't feel like looking up the correct orbit, know what I do? I go 90 degrees, then set my apoapsis at 250 and my periapsis at 200, with the AP and PE on the equator so that my distance from the poles stays the same. I have no idea about the math but I know that it has exponentially more crossing points over the equator than a perfectly circular orbit :)

A dangerous assumption! Instead of scaling linearly with time warp, scanning speed scales with (one plus) the natural logarithm of the time warp factor. This means as you increase time warp, you scan slower in terms of game time but still faster in terms of real time. However, the returns on increased time warp are very much diminishing.

2.3deg, not 2.6. So you need to cross the equator at ~156.5 unique points

I'd be careful about using such approximations. The geometry of the mesh isn't really suited to it. Your number comes somewhat close, but for the wrong reason. It takes five times the side length of each face on the icosahedron to traverse the equator, for a total of 160 cells. Thing is, it also takes that number all the way to +/- 26.6 degrees latitude, and the cells at those latitudes are much less distorted! The equatorial path is a little curvy since it passes through ten icosahedral faces.

Majiir would it be possible to get a fuel/monoprop/kethane transfer device in the pack that doesn't require a kerbal to activate it. I have been using Quantum Fuel transfer currently to do it but that requires a EVA to start the process. A automatic part that can "Target Nearest Receiver" or what not would be awesome.

Majiir would it be possible to get a fuel/monoprop/kethane transfer device in the pack that doesn't require a kerbal to activate it. I have been using Quantum Fuel transfer currently to do it but that requires a EVA to start the process. A automatic part that can "Target Nearest Receiver" or what not would be awesome.

There is already one of those...its called docking =P

im just messin

Lazor systems would work, just be prepeared to spam lil yellow lazors all over the 2 ships to get any kind of decent transfer speed

Edited by KhaosCorp

The lazor mod has a fuel transfer system that works in a similar fashion to the one you describe, just select the target and beam the fuel.

Romfarer's Lazor system has a yellow lazer attachement that can do fuel transfers within certain ranges with line of sight. No Kerbal required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.