How to make science probe dropper

Go to solution Reply by 18Watt,

• Solution

Moved to KSP2 Gameplay Questions.

@Trihexia, welcome to the KSP Forums!  

In KSP1, you would need to keep your plane within 'physics range' of the falling objects until they came to a full stop on the ground.  I'm not sure what the physics range is in KSP2, of if that even applies anymore.

However, one thing to try would be to drop your pods from a very low altitude.  Then try to keep your large plane as close to the pods as possible until they come to a complete stop on the surface.

1 minute ago, 18Watt said:

Moved to KSP2 Gameplay Questions.

@Trihexia, welcome to the KSP Forums!  

In KSP1, you would need to keep your plane within 'physics range' of the falling objects until they came to a full stop on the ground.  I'm not sure what the physics range is in KSP2, of if that even applies anymore.

However, one thing to try would be to drop your pods from a very low altitude.  Then try to keep your large plane as close to the pods as possible until they come to a complete stop on the surface.

That was key. I had to drop low and slow and have the pod come to a stop about within 1.2 km. It showed the vessel was recoverable and things stayed there till I was past 5km and I crashed into a mountain. But dropping it low was the answer. 

21 hours ago, 18Watt said:

Thanks for checking back, good to know that the 'physics range' limitation still applies.

What I meant was, it's a good thing to be aware of.  Not good that the limitation still exists.  I'd prefer being able to drop things and not have them disappear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.