Is anyone else seeing massive performance hits with surface rovers?

I'm running an 8-wheeled rover with Duna, which I had hoped to drive quite some distance to do some Kerbal pickups. I'm noticing however that my performance on the ground is terrible. Even with no other nearby craft loaded, I am getting 10fps or less. This is weird because I had much better performance landing on Duna which had the larger landing craft loaded in, and earlier I was docked to a large orbital station, with a craft that was carrying this same rover, and my performance wasn't this bad even then.

Turning down graphics settings doesn't seem to help. Is there some issue with rover wheels that is taking my framerate perhaps? Any workarounds?

16 minutes ago, BlackholeKS said:

I'm running an 8-wheeled rover with Duna, which I had hoped to drive quite some distance to do some Kerbal pickups. I'm noticing however that my performance on the ground is terrible. Even with no other nearby craft loaded, I am getting 10fps or less. This is weird because I had much better performance landing on Duna which had the larger landing craft loaded in, and earlier I was docked to a large orbital station, with a craft that was carrying this same rover, and my performance wasn't this bad even then.

Turning down graphics settings doesn't seem to help. Is there some issue with rover wheels that is taking my framerate perhaps? Any workarounds?

Can you take picture of craft? or upload vessel .json file?

It's the same one from a bug report (unrelated) I put in yesterday.

KSP2FloatingParticles.png.0b8b3337a7ba9f

Interestingly, the performance seems to be less bad when moving at higher speeds? Or maybe it's because there is less complex terrain on the flats. Hard to say.

Something else very confusing; I timewarped to night, and suddenly I'm getting roughly twice as many frames, despite loading another vessel in.

Some strange things happening with planetside performance. Maybe something to do with solar panel tracking? I'm spitballing though.

1 hour ago, BlackholeKS said:

Something else very confusing; I timewarped to night, and suddenly I'm getting roughly twice as many frames, despite loading another vessel in.

Some strange things happening with planetside performance. Maybe something to do with solar panel tracking? I'm spitballing though.

You could switch some graphics settings low if it helps finding exact problem.  

19 hours ago, BlackholeKS said:

Graphics settings did not affect this at all, reckon it's a CPU-bound issue.

Sounds interesting,  i wonder if log files gives any information. Or if task manager shows sudden spikes in usage of cpu or ram

Edited by Jeq

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.