bringing my periapsis up.

So, im trying to land on eve, but im having trouble, because i cant get my orbit to line up, because my periapsis is beneath eves orbit (see pic)

pic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34887[/ATTACH]

so i tried burning up, but that didnt bring up the periapsis, it only brought the orbit up half way between my apoapsis and my periapsis (see pic2)

pic2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34888[/ATTACH]

which way do i burn to bring up the periapsis if im at the apoapsis (or near it)?

Edited by 123kde

What you want to do is called an inclination change. The best point to do it is at the intersection of your current and the desired orbit. For example in your case, if you want an equatorial orbit, you want to do your "north/south" burn (it's actually called normal and antinormal and is perpendicalur to your orbit) where your orbit intersects the equator.

Also, as I discovered, if you want to change from, say an equatorial orbit to a polar one, you have to keep turning so that as the orbital plane tilts, you're always burning perpendicular to it. Or you can just wait another revolution and keep doing small burns when you're at the right place in the orbit.

Is there a simple way to locate normal and antinormal on the navball? I have used 0 inclination/0 heading for normal and 0 inclination/180 heading for antinormal when adjusting Munar orbital inclinations and it seems to work but I'm not really sure why it works, or if it would always work.

Here is the way it pretty much works. Imagine a line going from your ship, through the orbital body, to the other side of the orbital plane. This is the axial pivot. When you do your burn to correct orbit, this is where your orbit will pivot. First thing to aligning orbits is to wait until this axial pivot point bisects your target orbit plane as well. Once you have this position, it comes down to what direction you are heading in relation to target plane. Keeping yourself parallel to horizon, you want to keep your heading 90 degrees to your current trajectory. IE halfway between prograde and retrograde. Which way depends on the direction you need to bring the orbit. Need to bring the apo/peri you are heading towards northward, then angle the 90 degree to the northward bias side. opposite if you need to bring it south. It is very important to think this way because if you have an extreme angle, such as near polar, just burning north or south will not work.

Is there a simple way to locate normal and antinormal on the navball? I have used 0 inclination/0 heading for normal and 0 inclination/180 heading for antinormal when adjusting Munar orbital inclinations and it seems to work but I'm not really sure why it works, or if it would always work.

Normal and Antinormal are points on the horizon boundary of the Navball equidistant from your prograde and retrograde markers. If your orbit is near equatorial, you can get away with burning directly North (Bearing 0) or South (Bearing 180). However, if your orbit is significantly inclined...

Put one velocity marker on the left, the other on the right (or as close as you can make it), then use W and S to pitch up or down until your nose marker crosses the Navball horizon. THen you will be pointed either at Normal or Antinormal. (the other direction is on the opposite side of the Navball)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.