Is this gravity assist good?

Andrew1233

Hi! I launched a Jool Probe named Kassini-JARP(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxFR4nL5dCs), I want to use it to flyby The Jool 5, I have a nuclear stage with 1569 seconds of fuel(not important) and I got a Laythe Gravity assist maneuver: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnSKtfHOeyaqeQx9ggTyWUA/community?lb=Ugkxt9NTPxvZqVQa0fXjuj4caTgM9VZTNHIf, I wasn't sure if that helps to slow me down, I know I can use brute power to orbit(bc I have a nuclear stage) but I want to probe laythe during that(for waypoints). Should I use this assist or other?

Hi Andrew,

Gravity assists are a topic of interest to me at the moment.  Your screen shot (in YouTube) is not super legible at that (or any) scale.  Mainly, I don't see your craft's proposed trajectory.

Most people use imgur to post images to the KSP forum.  (If you go this route, all you need to know is to select the Direct Link for the image and then paste that into your KSP post.)

Good luck!

P.S. I'm looking at your video now to see if it gives me any further info...  maybe at the very end in which you cross in front of Laythe with a periapsis of 400+ km?  That looks definitely productive, altho closer in would work more strongly.  However, it looks like you're getting a boost from a low periapsis at Jool that is slinging you out again.  Note that pilots in general like using Tylo mainly because it's more massive but possibly also because it's further out from Jool.  In any case, in my meager knowledge, the entry angle always seems to dictate your range of possibilities and one has to be prepared to abandon the idea if the opportunity just does not gel...

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Hi Andrew,

Gravity assists are a topic of interest to me at the moment.  Your screen shot (in YouTube) is not super legible at that (or any) scale.  Mainly, I don't see your craft's proposed trajectory.

Most people use imgur to post images to the KSP forum.  (If you go this route, all you need to know is to select the Direct Link for the image and then paste that into your KSP post.)

Good luck!

P.S. I'm looking at your video now to see if it gives me any further info...  maybe at the very end in which you cross in front of Laythe with a periapsis of 400+ km?  That looks definitely productive, altho closer in would work more strongly.  However, it looks like your getting a boost from a low periapsis at Jool that is slinging you out again.  Note that pilots in general like using Tylo mainly because it's more massive but possibly also because it's further out from Jool.  In any case, in my meager knowledge, the entry angle always seems to dictate your range of possibilities and one has to be prepared to abandon the idea if the opportunity just does not gel...

Thank you! I know Tylo is good for gravity assists, but it don't get me into good trajectory around Jool, since my only goal is to orbit Jool and probe it's moons, I don't need a gravity assist that much, I'm noob at this game so I'm just testing what do gravity assists do because people are kept using them

Well if you wanted a low pass of Jool, it looks like your Laythe assist did the job!  You're just going to have to handle the exit so that you don't fly out of the system completely.  But that is a cool chellenge because...

...if you're flying that close to Jool, it will be great for a fine tune to magnify another assist later.  Since you will have just passed Tylo and Laythe on one side, I think Vall (depending on where it is) will be your only candidate.

Any chance?

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Well if you wanted a low pass of Jool, it looks like your Laythe assist did the job!  You're just going to have to handle the exit so that you don't fly out of the system completely.  But that is a cool chellenge because...

...if you're flying that close to Jool, it will be great for a fine tune to magnify another assist later.  Since you will have just passed Tylo and Laythe on one side, I think Vall (depending on where it is) will be your only candidate.

Any chance?

Yeah, after the Laythe flyby, I'll get a orbit around Jool that have ap at any Jool moon excpt for Laythe, I was afraid tho that if i probe tylo, it will slingshot me.