Enhanced Colonization Capabilities

One thing that I always wished I could do in KSP 1 was build new KSC's on other worlds. Sure, I could put together a mining outpost as a midway station for crafts on journeys to further destinations, but it never felt like true colonization. 

What I would like to suggest is a system that can be implemented where by obtaining resources from the planet (hopefully more than the ambiguous "ore"), you can build proto-VABs and synthesize parts like fuel tanks and engines from space. as your outpost grows in scale, you can incorporate resource harvesting systems from different locations (such as pipelines) for all your needs. Additionally, I think that engineer kerbals should be able to synthesize the parts, and as they level up, they are able to build higher tier parts.

I'm not sure what else to say about this idea, since I don't want to be too long winded or suggest things that are unreasonable, but I think with KSP2's goal to improve upon the science and colonization aspect of KSP it would be a step in the right direction for bringing an interplanetary empire to life.

Well, you’re in luck. The next update is going to address exactly this. 

resources are further down the pipeline, but they have confirmed an orbital VAB will be included as well as colony sized parts. 

Will the orbital VAB be able to be grounded to a planet and location of your choice? Who knows. 

8 hours ago, Icegrx said:

Well, you’re in luck. The next update is going to address exactly this. 

resources are further down the pipeline, but they have confirmed an orbital VAB will be included as well as colony sized parts. 

Will the orbital VAB be able to be grounded to a planet and location of your choice? Who knows. 

damn thats awesome! i hadnt seen this anywhere (though tbf i hadn't looked very hard). im definitely hype now!