Can I force BG to add its surface features to an existing game? YES [solved]

Posted (edited)

I started this save-game with intent to build infrastructure; mining and colonizing the whole system. The distribution of ore turned out to be exceptionally suitable for this plan; it's very unlikely that I'll ever have another save with such a good distribution of ore on Minmus or an ore-rich Mun crater in the right position for direct-ascent launches to LKO. This save has both. However, being one of my early games, I started it before I installed Breaking Ground. I miss the surface features.

So, can I force BG to add surface features to this existing save? There are as yet few bases, no colonies, and most mining ships are in flight. I intend to make a backup before adding the features, and if any bases or ships are damaged by features appearing where they are, I can load the backup, move them, then re-add the features.

Or, can I generate a new save with the same random seed? I could then move my ships bases and everything to the new game. As above, if something is damaged, I can go back to the old game, move it, and re-transfer.

I'm trying some things, but if anyone really knows, I'd love to hear about it.

Edit: I think I've found it. Copying Seed and ROCSeed from the save in question to a new save made the new save's ore distribution the same as the old and removed surface features. I think this is because ROCSeed is -1 in the old save but a positive number in new saves. In the morning, I'll try setting the old save's ROCSeed to some positive value and see what happens.

Edited by eekee
solved

Posted (edited)

It is ROCSeed. I copied its value from a newer save, and found BG surface features.

Testing was the hard part; they don't spawn in instantly, so I twice thought it hadn't worked. For my first test, I cheated a rover to Vall as its features are some of the easiest to see. I drove around a bit and saw nothing to the point that I was starting to think it hadn't worked. Then, I turned around and saw 5 or 6 cryovolcanoes erupting simultaneously. :) (I think they do that when they're newly spawned.) I still had a question: were they forming because I'd changed ROCSeed or because I hadn't been to Vall before, in this save? So, I had to explore Kerbin too. I drove a rover for quite a while without seeing anything, but I didn't think to turn around. Seeing no baobabs on the grasslands, I cheated the rover to the middle of a mountain range to look for crystals and immediately found a baobab. This left me wondering if they were only spawning in regions I hadn't seen before, so I looked at an area I've seen more of than any other, the grasslands between KSC and the mountains, and found a baobab there. I think it's safe to say all the bodies have BG surface features now, and the cause can only be changing ROCSeed.

Incidentally, I thought I saw 2 ROCSeed lines in one of my saves. Both had the same value. When changing it, perhaps search the file in case there is a second instance.

Edited by eekee
Mention multiple ROCSeed lines