Grimes Flying Laboratory (modified Beech Model 18)

Have you ever wondered how aircraft exterior lighting became mainstream, or who revolutionized it? The answer lies with Warren G. Grimes, who is known as the "Father of the Aircraft Lighting Industry," from Urbana, OH. One of his company's most famous methods of testing their lights was to mount them on their flying laboratory, which was a Beech Model 18 modified specifically for that purpose, and observe how well they did mid-flight under various conditions. 

• KerbalX craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Mars-Bound_Hokie/Grimes-Flying-Laboratory 
    • Stock + Breaking Ground DLC
    • Contrary to what you may believe, it is not capable of collecting scientific data apart from crew reports and it does not have a laboratory module.
    • Just like the real-life Grimes Flying Laboratory, it is used to demonstrate how well exterior lights would perform.

OksQKIQ.png

• The Grimes Flying Laboratory flying over some mountains after crossing Kerbin’s northern polar ice cap.
  • l didn’t know how long this would take, and I wanted a more accurate range reading. If I went along the equator, I would have to account for the planet’s own rotation about its axis.
  • Of course, flying north from the KSC would not guarantee that I would be over land when it was time to come down. That’s why I used the infinite fuel cheat when I was close to depletion radioed an aerial refueling tanker at a nearby airbase ahead of time to fly with me and give me enough to land safely if the time comes.

b87zXzV.png

• The plane on display in the SPH.
  • I started with my old Beachcraft since the airframe and general structure are similar to the real-life Beechcraft Model 18. Keeping the tailwheel was a nice touch.
  • I then removed the wings since I didn’t want the tips to get too pointy to hold the fuel tanks which would mimic the real aircraft’s cylindrical light pods. The replacement wings did a great job at accomplishing that task, and they were pitched up 5 degrees for added efficiency.
  • Like my de Havilland Mosquito replica, I reduced the motor size and output to 25% but left the torque limit alone. The idea was to balance aircraft performance and fuel efficiency. In the end, while I didn’t get near my WinterOwl Beachcraft’s top speed or cruising altitude, I crushed its range. Having two blades per engine instead of six might have something to do with it.
  • Unlike most of my projects, decorating and lighting were the hardest parts. I started with the wingtip nav lights, then the tail nav lights, then the blinking beacon lights, and then finished with whatever would make the plane look bright. The paint job was difficult to copy with the limited selection of flags that I had.

nDe9Cmx.png

• Unknown kerbal admiring the Grimes Flying Laboratory with all its lights on.
  • The plane took off at night to demonstrate how effective the lights were, both on the ground and in the air.

ANn9oxm.png

• The Grimes Flying Laboratory flying above Kerbin while most people are asleep.
  • Just like in real life, this plane was often mistaken for an alien spacecraft. Of course, that was before navigation lights became required for all aircraft.
  • This photograph was in line for being the thumbnail for this craft, but I realized the plane itself was hard to see in the dark. So, I went with one with a little more (sun)light.

The KSP replica's cruise performance stats were as follows:

• Altitude: 7.3 km (~24.0k ft; Class Alpha airspace)
  • Velocity: 172 m/s (~385 mph)
    • Will increase gradually over time.
  • Blade Deployment Angle: 35 degrees
  • Recommended Throttle: 1/3 (33%)
  • Expected Range: 1,800 km

MWF7YvR.png

• The aircraft all lit up after what might be just the most humiliating perfect landing ever.
  • The pilot had to rely on Alt+F12 a tanker for a last-minute fuel boost before he could land since he was over an ocean where he ran would have run out of fuel too far away to glide to safety.

I'm surprised nobody else built this piece of history. Sure, there have been many KSP replicas of the Beech Model 18, but none of the Grimes Flying Laboratory itself. I guess it's one of those things you actually have to see up close and personal and/or research specifically to appreciate its true significance. Also, it's another "first of its kind" KSP replica I made - just like the Link Trainer, the Kettering Bug, the Waco GC-4, and my Martin NBS-1 biplane from my Air Force Museum replica showcase

Happy flying, and remember what Grandpa said, "Nav lights save lives."

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie
Grammar