[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

He did see this as wrong, and did say to Rozer that he was confused; the violation of First Law conflicted with his ethical circuitry and caused a system reboot.

I did notice that, but because he was programmed with the Laws of Robotics, he should have acted to defend Jeb immediately rather than taking the mission as priority. In the chapter, he was depicted to be following the Second Law, which is to simply follow any orders, but he also defied that Law because the Second Law also states that whatever the order, he still can't allow harm to others whether through action or inaction (the First Law)... Perhaps we'll see more about this later...

On a side note, in my last post I got confused on my usage of the Zeroth Law. I forgot how the First Law was defined and thought it only covered that it cannot harm a human through action, whereas I also thought the Zeroth Law covered the other half, that an AI cannot allow harm to a human through inaction. Both definitions were covered by the First Law after all, and the Zeroth Law covers the same rules but for all of humanity rather than individuals... my bad.

I think BERTY will have a HAL moment and smash Rozer into the ground as he is landing

I'm not quite sure what he will do, but i bet that he is going to do something with terrible consequences.

Pretty much, yeah. And you know what that means... KA-BOOM.

Nah, that would be boring. HAL didn't explode.

The engine checkup (BERTY please tell me it is a checkup!) was meant to be a dress rehearsal, but it turned out to be an accident that killed a crew member (Orsen). But is this really an accident? Is this a planned plot by the Kerbin and KASA authorities? What do they want? Who really is behind this?

When I started reading this story I gave BERTY 2.0.8 the voice of a dalek in my head just to remind me he wasn't aq little green fellow. Then I read he's calming and supportive. My bad! When Rozer turned up I gave him the voice of a frenchman; not sure why, just seems to work. Jeb in my head always sounds like the original star trek series Dr. 'Bones' McCoy.

Anyone else give these guys accents and if so what?

HAL's problem was that he was given two sets of contradictory orders, and found that the most "logical" way out of that conflict - since he was not constrained by the three laws - was to kill the crew, so that he wouldn't have to keep lying to them.

I have the strong feeling that by giving BERTY the order that the mission's success is the most important thing, Rozer has just made everyone on board, including himself, expendable.

I have the strong feeling that by giving BERTY the order that the mission's success is the most important thing, Rozer has just made everyone on board, including himself, expendable.

Seems to contradict the mission of taking kerbals to every planetary body in one mission, by killing the kerbals to take to those bodies? :huh:

However, what if the REAL mission is something to do with the SSTV signal and VallHenge?

When I started reading this story I gave BERTY 2.0.8 the voice of a dalek in my head just to remind me he wasn't aq little green fellow. Then I read he's calming and supportive. My bad! When Rozer turned up I gave him the voice of a frenchman; not sure why, just seems to work. Jeb in my head always sounds like the original star trek series Dr. 'Bones' McCoy.

Anyone else give these guys accents and if so what?

Rozer is the illusive man from mass effect, and BERTY is Comander Shepherd. Jeb is Mal from Firefly, Bill is John Marston from rd dead redmption and Bob is Tywin from Game of Thrones. There's a voice for everyone else as ell, but it's too many to go through...

Seems to contradict the mission of taking kerbals to every planetary body in one mission, by killing the kerbals to take to those bodies?

However, what if the REAL mission is something to do with the SSTV signal and VallHenge?

My suspicion is that BERTY is going to subvert all the expectations of him being evil and end up disobeying orders to do the right thing, or saving somebody's life. All this worrying about the first law and freaking out and rebooting because of almost breaking it doesn't suggest a killer to me...

Edited by PwnedDuck

I just realized--Rozer is endangering the mission, so he just gave his own execution order...

CHAPTER 1

1959-1961: IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

b3oNF3C.jpg

AUGUST 21th, 1959

DONNY: …three, two, ignition and we have liftoff! Little Joe 1 is on the way!

IKE: Wow.

6E4CQES.jpg

WERNHER: I told you, Mr. Prezident. Ve are making great progress and I can assure you that ve vill…

IKE: I don't want to interrupt you, doctor, but is it supposed to do this?

You can find the whole Chapter 1 of The Space Race here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.