[1.12.x][WIP] Restock Recolour

MrShelter

68747470733a2f2f696d6775722e636f6d2f635a

Work in Progress mod about adding recolours to Restock and Restock+ mod

Installation:

Download source code from github, grab TU_Restock folder inside and put into GameData(no no TURD)

https://github.com/likeproblem/RestockRecolour(most of the info is there, I'm too lazy to update this page)

How much done? Uh, not much, just 20 parts(out of 398, i know im ded)

Spoiler

MK1 Pod     https://imgur.com/a/qKnU0Tc
MK1-3 Pod
KV1 Pod
KV2 Pod
KV3 Pod

1.25m medium tank     https://imgur.com/a/3gXVMj4
2.5m Rockomax long tank
2.5m Rockomax medium tank
2.5m Rockomax small tank
2.5m Rockomax tiny tank

Vector     https://imgur.com/a/iimZZ1O
Dart

Some kind of I beam?     https://imgur.com/a/4l6JZEO

1.25m decoupler     https://imgur.com/a/WeIMzri
2.5m decoupler
2.5m Engine Plate
Shielded docking port(WIP, the docking port is messed up, but colored)

Small 1.25m stubby cone     https://imgur.com/a/OUj7zRc

2.5m heatshield(defaults to black variant, since brown texture aint inside texture, you can recolour anyways)     https://imgur.com/a/65ZpHD8

1.25m parachute     https://imgur.com/a/4KpWiSE

Dependencies:

-Textures Unlimited

-Module Manager

-Restock and Restock+ obviously, why wouldn't you?

-(optional) TURD - I will not, at least right now, color parts which are not changed by Restock and can be colored normally, such as MK2 and MK3 parts

Known Issues:

Shielded docking port has a bug where docking door is falsely colored, cannot be fixed unless on Restock side :huh:

Some stuff doesn't like switching meshes properly, for now only engine plate's connect points, so after you switch it you have to switch to Squad and Bob Ross Paints again

Honorable Mentions:

-@UncleMateo for about-to-join effort, and also helping

-@ZZetho for amazing tutorial and help along the way

-@Orbital_phoenix for inspiring to do the same(please post anything)

I am open to any feedback, so don't hesitate to ask questions/request :wink:

Licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Edited by MrShelter
20 part special

1 minute ago, Davidinc2008 said:

Looks great! I wish all the rockomax tank variants had recolors though. I'd also like more engines. Also the 2.5m engine plate.

The variants are not a priority at a moment, since you know how much parts are there, but when we done making all parts we can slowly add variants to parts, also this would mean moving recolour from TextureSwitch to MH variant switcher, since those variants are spread across textures(I hate it)

2.5 engine plate should be relatively easy, but shrouds would be pain(lets hope all of them are in same texture file)

I'll mark engines, but they are quite complex, thank god Blender helps so much

Alright Beratna!

I am all in now, I've uninstalled my old TURD Testing Instance of KSP and replaced it with one with all the fat cut out.  A fresh install with nothing but ReStock & ReStock+, the Stock, Making History , and the Breaking Ground TURDs, and the one's you've put up on GitHub so far.  Well, to be fair there's a few other mods there like PAWPartInfo and QuickExit (both very useful), but it's just about as barebones as it gets.  The old one had every released TURD on it so I could compare anything at any time, but this time around I'll probably do that only as needed.  On my last modmaking install, I also had my favorite suite of visual mods going to make sure that everything looked good in those conditions, but in practice there's not that much difference between stock graphics and the fancy ones when it comes to making these configs, so perhaps that was me being decadent.  A belter has to live lean, after all.  Anyhow,  I've set aside the other mods I'm working on for now, shelved them in duplicate on a few thumb drives.  I had attempted to finish up one of the 3 or so I've got in the pipelines, but it didn't end up working out that way, each one had its own last-minute complication.  Rather than get stuck in development hell with those three, I thought it was time to cut the cord.  Fuji, Grounded, and KerbalFoundries will all be completed one day.  Just not right now.  So if you're excited about those, don't worry, I won't abandon them.  But I am going to procrastinate on them.

Currently making a comprehensive list of all ReStock & ReStock+ parts yet un-recolored, split into categories for parts with variants and parts without.  My plan was to first get some of the non-variants out of the way, and then once I've got a dozen or so, to start gradually working on variant parts as well. 

I've got some learning to do, both with @MrShelter's config-maker, and actually using Blender for this sort of thing.  Up until now I had been kind of flying by the seat of my pants.  I'm sure both of these tools will be helpful.

Thanks for your patience, @MrShelter, and also for making this thread.  I will try and get some parts uploaded as soon as possible, hopefully even tonight.

15 minutes ago, UncleMateo said:

Alright Beratna!

I am all in now, I've uninstalled my old TURD Testing Instance of KSP and replaced it with one with all the fat cut out.  A fresh install with nothing but ReStock & ReStock+, the Stock, Making History , and the Breaking Ground TURDs, and the one's you've put up on GitHub so far.  Well, to be fair there's a few other mods there like PAWPartInfo and QuickExit (both very useful), but it's just about as barebones as it gets.  The old one had every released TURD on it so I could compare anything at any time, but this time around I'll probably do that only as needed.  On my last modmaking install, I also had my favorite suite of visual mods going to make sure that everything looked good in those conditions, but in practice there's not that much difference between stock graphics and the fancy ones when it comes to making these configs, so perhaps that was me being decadent.  A belter has to live lean, after all.  Anyhow,  I've set aside the other mods I'm working on for now, shelved them in duplicate on a few thumb drives.  I had attempted to finish up one of the 3 or so I've got in the pipelines, but it didn't end up working out that way, each one had its own last-minute complication.  Rather than get stuck in development hell with those three, I thought it was time to cut the cord.  Fuji, Grounded, and KerbalFoundries will all be completed one day.  Just not right now.  So if you're excited about those, don't worry, I won't abandon them.  But I am going to procrastinate on them.

Currently making a comprehensive list of all ReStock & ReStock+ parts yet un-recolored, split into categories for parts with variants and parts without.  My plan was to first get some of the non-variants out of the way, and then once I've got a dozen or so, to start gradually working on variant parts as well. 

I've got some learning to do, both with @MrShelter's config-maker, and actually using Blender for this sort of thing.  Up until now I had been kind of flying by the seat of my pants.  I'm sure both of these tools will be helpful.

Thanks for your patience, @MrShelter, and also for making this thread.  I will try and get some parts uploaded as soon as possible, hopefully even tonight.

Thanks for joining! For convenience, I think it's better to add you as contributor for github, but Im not sure how, so I wll be glad if you help

Second, the config maker is purely Template + variables copy paster, nothing special, but very customizable. Very helpful for easy parts

About variants, I won't do unless they are significant (such as boattails for engines) or in the same texture file

Also after you made the part list, it would be good to put it onto Wiki, and some parts are falsely TURD colored, such as Dart(it has switches, but does nothing)

Edit: I have sent invite for you as collaborator

Edited by MrShelter
edit edit edit

1 minute ago, MrShelter said:

..Also after you made the part list, it would be good to put it onto Wiki, and some parts are falsely TURD colored, such as Dart(it has switches, but does nothing)

The External Command seat and a few other parts are just like that, that's why I've been going through part-by-part and checking them.. Good idea to put it on the wiki, that makes more sense.

I too don't really know how to use GitHub that well, I know I  have to make a fork of your current build or something of that nature.. but I suppose I've always followed the philosophy of 'burning that bridge when we come to it', so I might just have to figure that out a little later.

ReStock is actually kind of difficult to work with for making TURDS because its a little harder to see which parts are associated with it through PAW PartInfo, I've noticed the only way to be SURE is to check the MM patch history and see if anything is in there from ReStock.  I understand this is because restock patches existing parts, but it just makes it a little trickier to identify from a thumbnail.  Luckily, I have not really used ReStock that much and am so familiar with the look of the stock parts I can usually just look at them and say 'nah that one is way too cool looking to be stock'.

3 minutes ago, UncleMateo said:

The External Command seat and a few other parts are just like that, that's why I've been going through part-by-part and checking them.. Good idea to put it on the wiki, that makes more sense.

I too don't really know how to use GitHub that well, I know I  have to make a fork of your current build or something of that nature.. but I suppose I've always followed the philosophy of 'burning that bridge when we come to it', so I might just have to figure that out a little later.

ReStock is actually kind of difficult to work with for making TURDS because its a little harder to see which parts are associated with it through PAW PartInfo, I've noticed the only way to be SURE is to check the MM patch history and see if anything is in there from ReStock.  I understand this is because restock patches existing parts, but it just makes it a little trickier to identify from a thumbnail.  Luckily, I have not really used ReStock that much and am so familiar with the look of the stock parts I can usually just look at them and say 'nah that one is way too cool looking to be stock'.

PAW part info is essential as hell, you can copy name and see patch history

I sent invite for collboration at github, check it and post something in Disscusions

Hi guys, 20 part special is here :D

Namely, now in global 20 parts are done! Still need to tweak here and there, but mostly good recolors

What exactly was added:

Spoiler

2.5m Engine Plate - moar engines!!!

Dart - my favourite engine for Eve

1.25m decoupler

1.25m fuel tank - more 1.25m tanks incoming!

Structural I Beam

As usual, leave your thoughts about this:)

The overall hype that I feel in this thread is electric. I LOVE the updates here and the images on Github. Just want to shout out all the contributors as this has been mine (and many others) most wanted update to KSP in years.