[WEB APP] Ribbon Generator [1.1.2] [ABANDONED]

This is because the server are too weak to handle all the request from the forum. I'm starting to think that maybe a database flush could help since there is a lot of unused data, but I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy redoing your ribbons

Actually I don't think redoing them would be a bad thing. I mean, if you want them you will re-do them, if you don't you won't. So Flush away good sir!

After fiddling in my code for a couple of hours, I think I successfully reduced the load on the server enough so it doesn't show the "Resource limit reached" error anymore! That feel so great

Edit: Special message from my host: We are in the top 5 biggest user of the following :

Bandwidth

CPU Usage

Memory Usage

MySQL Usage

I am planning on making a little something special for you

Edited by Moustachauve

This is my host pressuring me to reduce the load I am doing on the server... They want me to make sure I reduce the load the server is experiencing

From now, you will need to download the generated image and upload it to wherever you want (I suggest you use imgur)

Edited by Moustachauve

This is my host pressuring me to reduce the load I am doing on the server... They want me to make sure I reduce the load the server is experiencing

From now, you will need to download the generated image and upload it to wherever you want (I suggest you use imgur)

That treacherous pig!!! Ten inches of cold steel will teach the scum to not blackmail fine fellas for trivial matters!!! That's some bad internet stuff he got himself into, I tell ya, mate.

We are in the top 5 biggest user of the following :

Bandwidth

CPU Usage

Memory Usage

MySQL Usage

Well, at least you are making sure their hardware gets used. I mean, no use being a service provider when people are not using your services, right?

You should look into Amazon S3. They have a very accurate estimator, and I think you'd find the results very cheap. Anyways, thank you for your efforts, I will move mine onto Imgur for now.

This is mean for big website with way more traffic and data than my application. A single dedicated server would do the job, but amazon is offering multiple machine for a single website. Price goes up to 5000$

No, it's not that much. You don't need the EC2 hosted server solution. A standard webhost(what you are using now) and possibly an upgraded MySQL instance. You just offload all the actual content delivery onto the S3 service. I'd imagine it only be a few dollars a month. I don't know the actual usage you have, but I imagine the entire size of the jpegs are rather small. And all get requests from S3 are very cheap. I PMd you an estimate. I don't think I'm allowed to directly advertise on this board =P

Edit: No I don't work for Amazon, they've just made my life easier and I'm passing on some info.

Edited by Kilmeister

Hm, to how much traffic does that translate?

A 720px × 64px png is roughly 35KB.

He got roughly 130 thousand hits per day.

35 * 130000 = 4550000

A whopping 4.5 GB per day. I can't blame that provider for asking questions about it.

A 720px × 64px png is roughly 35KB.

He got roughly 130 thousand hits per day.

35 * 130000 = 4550000

A whopping 4.5 GB per day. I can't blame that provider for asking questions about it.

This is about right. In February, a total of 120.16 GB of bandwidth was used. In January, it was 157.81 GB and in December, another 166.96 GB of bandwidth

EDIT:

I am doing some test for now. The website is temporary hosted on my personal computer so I can have more control over debugging what is happening, so if you are experiencing any problems, please report them to me

Edit 2:

I'm now done with the test, I've come to a new way of displaying the ribbons, I hope it will reduce the server memory consumption and reduce the frequence of the "Not enough memory" error message in long term

Edited by Moustachauve

• 3 weeks later...

For your information, tonight the database will be completely cleared. I hope to reduce the server load by removing the unused data and deleting inactive user ribbons who will not redo their ribbons set.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, I know that it may take time to redo your ribbon again and it may not be your favourite thing to do, but I need to reduce the server load the best I can.

Edited by Moustachauve

It would be nice if you posted an announcement on the site, as well. I was convinced I'd found a bug until I came here to post about it.

On a more positive note, are you planning to add asteroid ribbons/devices? I can imagine asteroid flyby, asteroid docking, asteroid redirect, asteroid moved to an orbit in a particular SoI...

Edited by Starstrider42