[1.0.4] (2015-07-04) Telemachus – Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser

Rich

I am using the plugin and a raspberry pi to turn my Steel Battalion controller into a mission control for my little nephew (and probably me too). At the moment it's a stand alone train controller (makes train noises and lights up when the buttons are pressed), but I may add a screen for this. Since the controller has 5 convenient switches which I want to use (rather than toggles/buttons), I played a little with your code, and I suggest changing the registerAPI calls for SAS, RCS, Lights, Gears and Breaks in Telemachus/src/DataLinkHandlers.cs to something like this...

registerAPI(new ActionAPIEntry(
dataSources => {
if (dataSources.args.Count.Equals(0)) {
TelemachusBehaviour.instance.BroadcastMessage("queueDelayedAPI", new DelayedAPIEntry(dataSources,
(x) => { dataSources.vessel.ActionGroups.ToggleGroup(KSPActionGroup.Light); return 0d; }),
UnityEngine.SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver); return predictFailure(dataSources.vessel);
} else {
TelemachusBehaviour.instance.BroadcastMessage("queueDelayedAPI", new DelayedAPIEntry(dataSources,
(x) => { dataSources.vessel.ActionGroups.SetGroup(KSPActionGroup.Light, bool.Parse(dataSources.args[0])); return 0d; }),
UnityEngine.SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver); return predictFailure(dataSources.vessel);
}
},
"f.light", "Light", formatters.Default));

Which preserves the current function, but also allows for the state to be set directly with f.light[true] or f.light[false]

• 2 weeks later...

Added extra API calls to access the raw Euler angles of the ship, which is useful for creating external navigation balls. In addition to this there are now calls to access the orbital parameters of bodies; examples are provided below.

datalink?a=b.name[0]

Will return the name of the body at index 0; I guess this is the Sun.

datalink?a=b.o.PeA[1]

Will return the periapsis of the body at index 1.

Gotta say I love this mod! One of my friends was away on holiday so I set this up so he could help fly my ship on his ipad so he could get his ksp fix :D

Made myself an overlay type thing so i could get multiple readouts from the mod on my second monitor, been trying to make it look kinda like a kerbalised version of the control panels from the apollo era mission control panels. I got visions now of getting a group together over hamachi and flying a mission to the mun or something using this mod :D

Screenshot.png

I would really love if you could share that!

Hello. Excellent work on the plugin. We're trying it out with some friends and it's great fun!

An issue we noticed and wanted to report: In the orbital view, the time to apoapsis/periapsis truncates the days (for long orbital periods, say around Kerbol). So if the time is 2 days 10 hours 3 minutes, it will just display 10 hours 3 minutes.

Hi Achillion, thanks for the report :D.

If you are using the version from the Spaceport then I am aware of this bug, and have implemented a fix which is available in the Telemachus development build (there is a download link in the OP of this thread). However, if you were already using the the development build, please let me know, as it would mean this bug is still an open issue.

While I am here - Please show support for this users work, as they have constructed a prototype, 3D navigation ball in the web browser. I am in awe.

What very odd questions.

It's about this:

So what is next on the agenda? Well I have now unlocked the the web server so it can serve pages written by anyone, I have so far seen some exciting stuff created by users with far more web skills than myself. I hope to see what people can come up with, and to help with this I will be focusing on extending and improving the API. Unfortunately there is no support for loading images from within the plugin (you can host them elsewhere of course).

In terms of experimental work, now that the flight control element is well underway I have plans to stream images from the MechJeb Hull Camera and plot longitude and latitude on a map backdrop. The former does have a working proof of concept, which is shown in the image below.

20130413221808.png

• 2 weeks later...

So this is going to sound crazy... But what I'm about to say is completely true.

When I found out about this mod I came to this thread and read every single post here, and while I really like the mod I was heartbroken to know that I can't actually use it because I only have 1 computer and 1 screen... So that got me to thinking about the possibility of getting a second screen for my computer, which then led to thoughts about how old my computer is (5 years) and if it could actually handle more than one. After thinking about that for awhile I decided maybe it's time to get a newer computer, which then after some research led me to the idea of building a custom computer myself...

All in all I'm now taking out a loan with the bank for $2500 for a new custom built gaming PC... Thanks Rich. (LOL)

So this is going to sound crazy... But what I'm about to say is completely true.

When I found out about this mod I came to this thread and read every single post here, and while I really like the mod I was heartbroken to know that I can't actually use it because I only have 1 computer and 1 screen... So that got me to thinking about the possibility of getting a second screen for my computer, which then led to thoughts about how old my computer is (5 years) and if it could actually handle more than one. After thinking about that for awhile I decided maybe it's time to get a newer computer, which then after some research led me to the idea of building a custom computer myself...

All in all I'm now taking out a loan with the bank for $2500 for a new custom built gaming PC... Thanks Rich. (LOL)

Unsolicited/too late financial advice here: KSP is fun and all, but it's just a game. If you need to live beyond your means to play it, then don't play it. Needs such as food and shelter should always come before wants such as a game about little green astronauts.

Unsolicited/too late financial advice here: KSP is fun and all, but it's just a game. If you need to live beyond your means to play it, then don't play it. Needs such as food and shelter should always come before wants such as a game about little green astronauts.

Well, the new PC isn't just for KSP, it's for everything else one would do on a computer as well. The loan thing is just so that I could buy it now and pay it back over time, it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I can't afford it right now. As for food and shelter, I'm 19 and still living with my parents. All in all there are currently only 3 things that I really worry about financially, which is my job (secure), pickup truck (paid), and computer (old), as long as I have all 3 I'm happy as can be.

Although with that out of the way, I actually ended up not being able to get that loan, so I got a credit card instead and bought a second monitor for my current computer. New goal = Either save up for it, or wait for my next inheritance, which unfortunately doesn't look to be that far away. :(

Well, the new PC isn't just for KSP, it's for everything else one would do on a computer as well. The loan thing is just so that I could buy it now and pay it back over time, it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I can't afford it right now. As for food and shelter, I'm 19 and still living with my parents. All in all there are currently only 3 things that I really worry about financially, which is my job (secure), pickup truck (paid), and computer (old), as long as I have all 3 I'm happy as can be.

Although with that out of the way, I actually ended up not being able to get that loan, so I got a credit card instead and bought a second monitor for my current computer. New goal = Either save up for it, or wait for my next inheritance, which unfortunately doesn't look to be that far away. :(

Although it is very offtopic, I think this needs to be said: do not take out loans for 'trivial' things, especially if those things lose their value quickly (.ie cars, computers, phones and electronics in general et cetera). If you can afford them, save up until you have the money. If you cannot afford them or can not save up, do not buy the thing. Taking out loans will cost you (a lot) more money in the long run slashing the things you can do with the finite amount of money you make and it will expose you to a whole world of hurt if you, for some self induced reason or one beyond your control, can not make every payment in time.

The only exception I see is when you want to buy a house or an education. Those are long term investments that will - if properly set up - return a profit. Be careful though, the US housing crisis showed that even this is not always true. Think, be careful and make sure you can make payments in the long run. With every loan you take out you basically surrender a little bit of control over your own life to others. Others that do not care about you personally, I might add.

I know it is common to take out personal loans and credit cards for stuff like this in some parts of the world (US, I am looking at you), but that does not mean it is a good idea. Try to stay as debt free as possible for trivial things, ensuring you can make payment on the important stuff you will need to survive in todays world (housing, bills, education et cetera).

(Yes, I am aware that you need to be in debt for a decent credit rating in the US, but that does not warrant trivial spending in itself.)

Although it is very offtopic, I think this needs to be said: do not take out loans for 'trivial' things, especially if those things lose their value quickly (.ie cars, computers, phones and electronics in general et cetera). If you can afford them, save up until you have the money. If you cannot afford them or can not save up, do not buy the thing. Taking out loans will cost you (a lot) more money in the long run slashing the things you can do with the finite amount of money you make and it will expose you to a whole world of hurt if you, for some self induced reason or one beyond your control, can not make every payment in time.

The only exception I see is when you want to buy a house or an education. Those are long term investments that will - if properly set up - return a profit. Be careful though, the US housing crisis showed that even this is not always true. Think, be careful and make sure you can make payments in the long run. With every loan you take out you basically surrender a little bit of control over your own life to others. Others that do not care about you personally, I might add.

I know it is common to take out personal loans and credit cards for stuff like this in some parts of the world (US, I am looking at you), but that does not mean it is a good idea. Try to stay as debt free as possible for trivial things, ensuring you can make payment on the important stuff you will need to survive in todays world (housing, bills, education et cetera).

(Yes, I am aware that you need to be in debt for a decent credit rating in the US, but that does not warrant trivial spending in itself.)

Well that's well said, and this would have actually been my first loan which is probably why I wasn't able to get it, as for the credit card I did get, I'm not planning on spending all the money on the card and staying in debt like most people do. I never want to exceed 1 credit card and even this one I got to buy my second monitor will be paid off within 1 month which is actually in time for the bill, meaning I won't be charged interest.

I do believe your right about not borrowing money for trivial things, although I would hardly consider a vehicle trivial... Although I did buy mine outright, simply because I had the money to do so at the time. (Speaking of which I don't see why the heck people need brand new cars with all the bells and whistles when you can get one that works just as well for 10% of the cost if you buy it used.)

(On another note though: If I didn't have a computer I'd probably be crazy bored all the time, having no actual friends has that side effect. Long story.)

Right well uhm... Oh boy this conversation is off topic... Hmm... Telemachus...

Really love the mod Rich, I have yet to actually try it but I've got it on my watch list, because it looks really awesome. Good job!

That camera looks promising. Although I think I will always use the normal game view, it is interesting to be able to control a rocket without actually 'seeing' it, having to use on board camera's instead of some magically hovering camera next to your rocket.

I do believe your right about not borrowing money for trivial things, although I would hardly consider a vehicle trivial... Although I did buy mine outright, simply because I had the money to do so at the time. (Speaking of which I don't see why the heck people need brand new cars with all the bells and whistles when you can get one that works just as well for 10% of the cost if you buy it used.)

If a vehicle is that critical to your existence it would probably be wise to already save up a bit in case the thing breaks, you have an accident or anything. Having some reserves is never a bad move and it ensures that you do not have to take out loans when push comes to shove.

I'll just leave it at that, since this is not the financial advice topic :)

So I have installed the current development version (1.4.10), added the Telemachus data link module to the stock antenna model with ModuleManager like this:

@PART[longAntenna]
{
MODULE {
name = TelemachusDataLink
}
}

Now I have opened this link, and all pages work fine and show data that appears to be current... except KerbalMaps, which says "No antenna found, entering broadcast mode."

The release version seems to work fine, however, but marker-icon.png is mysteriously missing.

• 2 weeks later...
Gotta say I love this mod! One of my friends was away on holiday so I set this up so he could help fly my ship on his ipad so he could get his ksp fix :D

Made myself an overlay type thing so i could get multiple readouts from the mod on my second monitor, been trying to make it look kinda like a kerbalised version of the control panels from the apollo era mission control panels. I got visions now of getting a group together over hamachi and flying a mission to the mun or something using this mod :D

Screenshot.png

Please share it! :)