hardware issues

vethoix

hey there visitors!

quick kind-of-ksp related question about a peculiar situation, lol.

1. case fan that sucked in air to the case broke

2. ordered new 4500 rpm 70mm fan (beast), but shipping takes a week

3. question: how to keep cpu temp below 65 deg Celsius?( i have already taken the lid off the case, so it can suck air from outside, but to no avail.

if i run ksp, it goes to 73 deg celsius and automatic shut down from bios; idling at 44 deg but any application just fries it worse than a cup of molten lava.

suggestions? and yes, i have considered blowing into it constantly, but i pass out after 3 minutes.

Hair dryer set to cold?? Or any type of fan you can setup beside your case blowing in.

Lower the room temperature to 18, take the fan off the CPU and clean out the heat sink. Without a case fan the CPU shouldn't overheat under full load like your describing. Next time you make an order make sure you get some thermal paste also so you can either re-seat the heat sink properly, or replace it with a more efficient one that can handle the CPU

Edited by HoY

You could try opening the case and have a roomfan (if you have one) blowing into it at high speed and close range. I've done it before on a "malfuntioning" PC I had and it worked great, especially during high summer when the temps hit 40 degrees C.

Note: No gaurantees though.

Clean the gunk out of your heatsink! Assuming there is some, there usually is in untouched systems. My machine's air intakes have dust filters so HAH!

I second the desk fan pointed at the case idea.

I had a similar situation once. Dry ice was my solution.

I bought enough to fill up a decent sized cooler, drilled a hole about six inches across in one of the sides, ripped the blade/engine combo from an unused desk fan, bolted/taped/glued that to the hole, ran a piece of PPC pipe to my cpu and pressed go. It took a bit of part manipulation and a lot of kinetic maintenance but functioned well enough to prevent any melting. Ran it for about three weeks until my replacement fan/sink arrived.

Note: I have no idea what, if any, damage this could cause. My computer at the time was a POS and I cared little.

if i run ksp, it goes to 73 deg celsius and automatic shut down from bios;

73°C sounds pretty low, many CPUs are good to around 90°C. Which CPU do you have?

A 4500rpm fan is going to be very noisy, a larger but slower one would be better.

Some advice from someone who has seen these problems before:

A) Be careful with high-pressure air around modern electronics. It is literally possible to blow off some of the smaller surface-mount components with, say, compressed air. Especially 603 and smaller scale surface-mount components; Some of these components are no bigger than a smudge of dirt, so it's impossible to tell by visual inspection if you've damaged something.

B) Opening the case can actually make things worse. Assuming you have decent air flow (ie: no cable bundles or whatnot in the way), your PC gets maximum cooling with the case closed, even minus the side fan. Most of your airflow will be coming from your power supply, and any supplemental fans you have along the front of your case. The air should be sucked in somewhere around the front, blown up through the CPU area, and exhausted out of your PSU and/or rear fan. Your side-mounted fan provides additional air capacity for the CPU cooler. Opening your case disrupts this air flow.

I agree with Endless, 73 Celsius sounds awfully low for a system shutdown assuming a fairly modern CPU. My laptop is running 68 to 72ish right now, in fact.

My older Athlon processors run around 50-60, and they don't like going above 70 or so. But that's older tech, at a larger die size with more power dissipation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.