Hi landing gear animation.

Hey I'm making landing gear and I created the model and the animation in blender, but when I upload it to unity I get no animation. Heres a picture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77575413/I.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77575413/II.png

after doing the part mod and loading into ksp the item shows up in the part tool bar but when selected its not there.

This is my first animation so I am not really sure what I should be doing, but I have been using this youtube video:

but when I upload it to unity I get no animation. Heres a picture:

You need to show us the components, the model itself provides no detail about the animation.

after doing the part mod and loading into ksp the item shows up in the part tool bar but when selected its not there.

Check the co-ordinates on the transform(s) in unity are at 0, the origin of the scene is at the cursor.

You are missing an incredible amount of hierarchy for that to work, your wheels will not turn, they have no pivots etc.

If the item is showing in the toolbar, but not when you select it as a part, you need to look at your materials and texturing, you may have made a mistake there.

Someone should just bite the bullet and make a video tutorial where they design a model in blender, upload it to unity, do all the unity jazz, and import it to KSP... (not me though because even following tutorials I still have trouble figuring out what the hell Im doing.. hence I say video)

So according to how I understand the picture. the animation is just the bar and the doors rotating the wheel is under the supensionParent which is parented to the bar. which causes them to rotate right? but How do I create a DamperCylinder, a bounds and the Shock Cylinder? are they just empty game objects?

So according to how I understand the picture. the animation is just the bar and the doors rotating the wheel is under the supensionParent which is parented to the bar. which causes them to rotate right? but How do I create a DamperCylinder, a bounds and the Shock Cylinder? are they just empty game objects?

Yes, empty game objects , get used to creating them :) they are used alot

I tried all. Nothing will work. The wheels won't rotate.

I have a wheel, parented to the baydoor and the baydoor is animated. All is very improvised for testing.

So, i added a empty object aligned to the wheel. This object is extra animated and will hold the wheelcollider in unity.

At the end, i added a empty object for the "bounds" collider.

What is wrong here?

The landing gear was one of the earlier modules so it may be somewhat sensitive to hierarchy so in the absence of other information assume you have to re-create it.

In this case it sounds like the bounds collider isn't getting deleted and your wheel isn't touching the ground (does the suspension compress at all when the physics kick in?) so it may be either misnamed (it may be case sensitive) or in the wrong place in the hierarchy.

Oh and btw: I can't see a mesh collider for the wheel in the picture before.

And how do i setup the wheel collider in unity?

Can anyone post a example file (.blend/.dae/.obj) ?

Edit: Ok, I'm a step further. The rotation works. The suspension unfortunately not yet.

Edited by SPACETECH

So at this point, im out. I give up my current project. There is no progress at the moment. I spent several hours every day in order to get this to work. Some modders publish their mods with working wheels, none of them published helpful information.

Someone should just bite the bullet and make a video tutorial where they design a model in blender, upload it to unity, do all the unity jazz, and import it to KSP... (not me though because even following tutorials I still have trouble figuring out what the hell Im doing.. hence I say video)

I'm doing one at the moment, hopefully. :) But I will start with a model first, then get to animations much later. Mainly because I am learning this along with everyone else, and am not a pro. :P

But I did get a few static models imported way back, so am keep to give it a go again!

Im thinking about ignoring the animation for now and just make a static landing wheel however im tied up until sunday. So if i have any time ill work on it and hopefully we all can get it to work.

So at this point, im out. I give up my current project. There is no progress at the moment. I spent several hours every day in order to get this to work. Some modders publish their mods with working wheels, none of them published helpful information.

The people that have successfully made working rover wheels are only a handful, and they learned they old fashioned way, through trial and error. For a long time there was not many options, and yes I would have loved a written tutorial from Bobcat or Cleverbobcat on how to use their plugin and the hierarchy on their wheels, but it never eventuated.

There is a picture explaining the new Rover wheel hierarchy, which I'll admit is pretty daunting when you first look at it, as there is alot of components, especially the suspension assembly, but the trick is

to make a mockup first, dont even worry about the look of any of your parts, just the basic shapes, get it working and then flesh out the detail after. I'm having/had as much frustration with the new system but all you can do is persist, and with any luck make a wheel that doesn't destroy itself in a flash like the stock ones.

Edited by Devo

Oh I have not completely abandoned. I'm just take a break. Otherwise, I'm frustrated and lose the fun.

In the meantime, had little success. At least, once wheel has turned. But then, in association with an animation, nothing has worked. The suspension has also never worked.

The image posted here was a big help. As always, it is in the details.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took a break from it (College) now that I have returned I can't even get the animation working right now in ksp 0.23. Do you know how to do animations in v0.23 Frizzank? If you can help me get it working I could help you figure it out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.