[0.19.1] MOLAB - Heavy Manned Munar Rover

I strung three MOLABs together and made a mun-train which I circumnavigated the Mun with. It was fantastic, until the lead MOLAB exploded and the debris destroyed all the solar panels. I launched a rescue craft to return all the kerbals, and a "shotgun" craft to pelt the broken MOLABs with a rain of decouplers, spent fuel tanks, and sheets of metal. Also, with a munar refueling station that I was meaning to deorbit. Long story short, I completely obliterated 3 MOLABs and scattered debris over a one-kilometer area.

Mosquito - The most enjoyable rover / drone i've come across. So much fun, it just had to be included in my first Spacecraft Exchange project. Thank you!

atechc1minimus.png

Colony ship drops in with 2 of them and enough rc fuel to last forever!

Edited by Allister

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cool rover you have there but I cant seem to download it. I click on the download link and it takes me to mediafire but it does't let me down load it can you please help me ?

Temstar, great work! I have the rover in orbit over the mon. Going for landing tonight. Just wondered if you posted the .craft file for "MOLAB RV"? Or what height is that docking portal to hook up with the rover?

Thanks again.

Temstar, great work! I have the rover in orbit over the mon. Going for landing tonight. Just wondered if you posted the .craft file for "MOLAB RV"? Or what height is that docking portal to hook up with the rover?

Thanks again.

Opps my bad, I had it uploaded and everything but forgot to attach the actual link. It's now at the bottom of the first post.

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble launching this set up. I added in the missing fuel lines and I can get up to around 5-7km but shortly after that, it is listing badly to one side and if I try to correct it, it just goes crazy out of control. Any advice?

twe3uTR,WZ33tsk,sKnFQuk,lPhddXI,AK9FfQh,MeyK5Xa

As you can see, this is without any input from me and with sas turned on. Only things I added to the rocket was a mechjeb module (autopilot can't fix issue of listing and then spinning out of control either) and an extra set of fins thinking it would help it stabilize but clearly it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

jSYFSi8.png

I finally was able to get it safely on the moon =P But a few questions,

I turned off all the wheel motors, and I cant seem to get it to stop rolling. As you can see in the picture the landing gears dont seem to reach the ground. Is there a way to extend them more, or lower down the rover or something?

Also, is there a way for me to save once I landed on the moon, and reload if something messes up while driving?

I finally was able to get it safely on the moon =P But a few questions,

I turned off all the wheel motors, and I cant seem to get it to stop rolling. As you can see in the picture the landing gears dont seem to reach the ground. Is there a way to extend them more, or lower down the rover or something?

Also, is there a way for me to save once I landed on the moon, and reload if something messes up while driving?

Ever heard of a parking break? ;)

Remember that when parking on a hill, please turn your wheels toward/away from the nearest curb so if your parking break fails, the curb will stop it. (Rocks can be used in lieu of a curb).

You can also lock the steering of the wheels while each side is pointing in different directions.

Edited by CleverClothe

Hey quick question, how do I get inside the little built in rover once landed etc, I can get on the ladder but theres no hatch or nothing, and when i undock it, i just start flipping around cause of me holding it and the kerbal moving around

AgnkjNf.png

Haven't tried the little ones just yet. I modified this lander by adding some other adding parts, specifically KAS (attachment system), escape pod, and Kethane. I landed the rover on minmus with little issue, once I was on the ground though... I landed on a slight slope but I can get the rover to stop moving! I finally got some control to around 0.2 m/s, and I ended up firing off two grappling hooks into the ground to hold steady.

Any ideas? (Edit: I will try the parking break idea next time I play, thanks for that tip, I just missed it in the first read thru)

Btw if your having trouble on launch: I noticed that the nav ball was pointed sideways not straight up and was causing me confusion. If you use mechjeb it's fatal. Right click another part facing up and use "control from here" until your nav ball is blue!

Edited by rottielover
Change

Haven't tried the little ones just yet. I modified this lander by adding some other adding parts, specifically KAS (attachment system), escape pod, and Kethane. I landed the rover on minmus with little issue, once I was on the ground though... I landed on a slight slope but I can get the rover to stop moving! I finally got some control to around 0.2 m/s, and I ended up firing off two grappling hooks into the ground to hold steady.

Any ideas? (Edit: I will try the parking break idea next time I play, thanks for that tip, I just missed it in the first read thru)

Btw if your having trouble on launch: I noticed that the nav ball was pointed sideways not straight up and was causing me confusion. If you use mechjeb it's fatal. Right click another part facing up and use "control from here" until your nav ball is blue!

Yeah, what I did was push A or D untill it slowed down almost to stopped, then press the B button for brakes, or push the button up at the top. That will keep you stopped. It took me a min to get it too =P now if i could only get the little thing to fly right!

As far as I can tell, the mosquito's are designed for the Kerbal to hang onto the ladder while you control it around.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to put the command chair on it for a more secure Kerbal / rover connection.

I've learned that this vehicle was designed with the Mun or maybe Duna in mind. I landed one on Minmus and have been having a hard time with control.

Minmus's gravity is so slight that you can't hardly get any traction on the wheels. One trick is to use your RCS to "push down" on the wheels, but you run out of RCS fuel fast.

I read a tip in another post, and plan to try this out: add an ion thruster to the top. The thruster should push just hard enough to give better traction.

I highly recommend the KAS (Kerbal attachment system) addon for use with this rig. I've been able to "tie myself down" on minmus using the grappling hook.

It's also going to make resupply a little easier since precision maneuvers are extremely difficult on this moon.

Guess I should have gone to the mun with it or Duna.

I thought that too rottie, but in the screenshots posted, it looks like he is controlling it somehow, theres a jet at the bottom of the thing lit up in the shot, and i can see it on the mini rover. I finally got it there and then got the resupply there, and almost together, then the MOLAB somehow messed up and wouldnt drive right, i dunno, gonna start from scratch i think.

What updates did you have in mind? I will fully admit that I'm not a very creative person, ie I don't come up with original designs much.

However, I'm a pretty good problem solver and have re-created designs from watching YouTube videos etc. with this I have the craft file, maybe I could take a shot at an update?? (It would be a nice challenge anyway).

I did create a new version of this where I added small "robotic" Kethane miners and some KAS winches. But that was minor stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...