[0.19.1] Zenith rocket family

i mean struts between the boosters and the rocket :)

on my energia rocket, i have manifolds holding my 'boosters' by pair, and they almost do not move upon separation, even with separatrons to help them. (and i have maybe 6 struts between the boosters and the main body)

Edited by sgt_flyer
corrected number of struts

i mean struts between the boosters and the rocket :)

on my energia rocket, i have manifolds holding my 'boosters' by pair, and they almost do not move upon separation, even with separatrons to help them. (and i have maybe 6 struts between the boosters and the main body)

Hm. How big are your boosters? Mine are two oranges and a pancake. Six struts isn't a lot.

XeopKNxs.jpg here's an answer (clic on the thumb for standard version):)

the boosters here are made off by two 'zenit' first stages sticked on a single manifold (so the two zenit act as a single booster)

the direction of the struts is important (think transferring forces from one object to one other, as the rocket want to go up, simply strut accordingly to that, and you reduce tremendously the number of struts needed between the boosters and the rocket)

note : i'm not talking of the struts needed for making the booster hold itself together - only the struts between the booster and the core.

an example : this version of my energia rocket flew really well (without a side payload which moves way too far it's center of mass)

basically, in this case, the X-shaped strutting is much more efficient for transmitting forces than two horizontal struts.

can work horizontally too, if you want to keep boosters correctly spaced between them, like soyouz's use in real life (look at the base of the soyouz's boosters):

http://i.usatoday.net/tech/gallery/2012/t120515soyuzlaunch/06-pg-horizontal.jpg

that works extremely well, we use it on alot of the rocket in the soyouz's R7's thread, my onegas use them too :P (and the onega 'lite' version has only 2 struts each to the core (at the top) and two more struts between each other booster (at the bottom, plus the TT-38K radial holding the bottom of the booster to the bottom of the core)

and they still have fuel tanks equivalent to a Jumbo 64, a x-200 32 and a x-200 16). basically, on the soyouz, think of the rocket being 'carried' by it's boosters :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

2n39sj.jpg

A modernised set of Zenith rockets have been released. Head to the new thread to get the craft files:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/33381-0-20-2-Zenith-rocket-family-%28modernised-for-0-20-x-with-perfect-subassembly%29

Also included is a brand new method of setting up subassembly that overcomes the major problem of Subassembly Saver/Loader - missing struts and fuel lines.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.