[0.20] Ancient Launchers

maro

I love those launch towers.

But I'm pretty sure Vostok 1 didn't have an escape tower.

Yes, i know...but an ejection seat good for 4000m+....ok, one cant simulate this within KSP right now.

Do you think it would be better to cancel the tower ?

]00-yuri-gagarin-birthday-20121.jpg?w=1200&h=660

Just a heads up about that quote in the picture... The spiritual power part at the end, I'm pretty sure Gagarin never said that. Best I can figure, someone slapped that on there because of that "I see no god up here" quote that is always misattributed to him. The first part was totally Gagarin though... evidently from this note:

GtPkQPB.jpg

Sorry to be pedantic :P

i havent tested all ships, but with Juno 1 i get it

Thank you

Uploaded a new file and deletd "NodeSelect" manually wherever i found.

Dont understand the problem right now- its a "part" within the "maneuver improvement" update - but you cant see it, can t select ist - and within the part description there is written "Do not attach this part to any ship." - i do not know how this come into the craft files....

I am having problems with the Sputnik rocket. Same problem as henrik908. I cannot load the craft and am getting the same error.

those files are problematic to clean :-)

made it whole new now - hope it works

I've also been meaning to ask, when you say reduce thrust to minimum between 5000 - 10000, by how much do you mean? I always try it and see what effect it has, but to me it just seems to slow down my accent. Is there a certain speed in m/s I should maintain throughout or actual acceleration?

I've also been meaning to ask, when you say reduce thrust to minimum between 5000 - 10000, by how much do you mean? I always try it and see what effect it has, but to me it just seems to slow down my accent. Is there a certain speed in m/s I should maintain throughout or actual acceleration?

You should not throttle down that hard that you get slower- but you can limit your acceleration so that you reach 200~220m/s at 10.000m

With a light one stage rocket you can easy test the effect.

- Take the Mercury-Redstone and then push 100% straight up until burnout - write down your apoapsis resulting.

- and then you reduce power beween 1000 and 10000m -you will see that you get out a much higher apoapsis - its waisting fuel to push hard trough the dense part of atmosphere.

- try it several times to get a feeling

Mercury– Atlas, 1962-1963

Rocketfor manned orbital flights within the US Mercury program.

Launcher:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_LV-3B

Payload:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mercury

Mannedmissions

MA6aka „Friendship 7“: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_6

Astronaut-Pilot: John H. Glenn, Jr.

Date:February 20, 1962

OrbitalData: three orbits @ 159 x 265km @ 32,5° inclination

MA7aka „Aurora 7“: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_7

Astronaut-Pilot: Malcolm Scott Carpenter

Date: May 24, 1962

OrbitalData: three orbits @ 124 x 260km @ 32,5° inclination

MA8aka „Sigma 7“: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_8

Astronaut-Pilot: Walter"Wally" Marty Schirra, Jr.

Date:October3, 1962

OrbitalData: six orbits @ 161 x 283km @ 32,55° inclination

MA9aka „Faith 7“: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_9

Astronaut-Pilot: Leroy Gordon "Gordo" Cooper, Jr.

Date:May 15, 1963

OrbitalData: 22 orbits @ 161 x 267km @ 32,5° inclination

Instructions

Imporant– for every corrections once the booster engines are gone you needRCS !!

Youcan activate and deactivate for corrections to save RCS but dontforget to activate if you steer your rocket.

• Activate ASAS with „T“
  • stage for activate engines
  • rev engines to 100%
  • stage for liftoff
  • reduce acceleration to minimum between 1000m and 10000m
  • rev up to 100% power after passing 10000m and start grav turn to ~20° heading and 60° upwards trajectory
  • when reaching 800m/s press „R“ to activate RCS
  • when reaching 900m/s press „1“ for spearation of booster engines and LES tower
  • correct your heading to 32° and upwards trajectory to 45°
  • change upwards trajectory to horizontal when reaching 110km apoapsis and reduce throttle to 30%
  • once reaching 125km apoapsis turn your rocket „nose down“ to a -15° angle (below the horizont) and keep the 32° heading
  • Once persiapsis reaching 50~60km you can deactivate engines and stage away booster
  • complete orbit with capsules engines
  • capsule has three retro stages each with two separatrons with a overal performence of about 250m/s
  • activate retros while heading retrograde, correct your trajectory manualy while retros burning...capsule whil not stay stabile but is easy controlable.
  • Last strage is parachute

onthe ramp

screenshot45ji.jpg

enginesrunning, ready for liftoff

screenshot46xd.jpg

screenshot47gv.jpg

~20°heading and 60° upwards

screenshot72c.jpg

stagingbosters and retro with „1“

screenshot71e.jpg

stagingaway booster

screenshot74f.jpg

retrosfiring

screenshot76f.jpg

reentry

screenshot79ad.jpg

Edited by maro

Yes, this add-on is the apotheosis of virtuous vanilla-part usage. I have not checked all of the crafts, but every i tested - worked exellent. Except of "Luna-16" - it could not load, cause did not found a part "EngineerChipFlight" or likely-called. i use no mods. so what can be wrong, can you help me? (and can you forgive me my terrible English? =) )

UPD Still do not know, what is this "EngineerChipFlight" was, but deleting it from the craft helped.

Edited by Hladow

Yes, this add-on is the apotheosis of virtuous vanilla-part usage. I have not checked all of the crafts, but every i tested - worked exellent. Except of "Luna-16" - it could not load, cause did not found a part "EngineerChipFlight" or likely-called. i use no mods. so what can be wrong, can you help me? (and can you forgive me my terrible English? =) )

UPD Still do not know, what is this "EngineerChipFlight" was, but deleting it from the craft helped.

Thank you

I will delete the engineer chip - its a add-on ( http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-1-kerbal-engineer-redux-v0-5/ ) and i use it for developement.

I looked closely at it.

Jet engines i did not like, but the layout give me new ideas

Glad it's been some use! Jet's certainly aren't ideal but so far, after months of testing I've not found a rocket solution with the delta-V to get my soyuz and my LK lander to the moon without ruining the look of the rocket - I could make an N1 but I really like the R7 shape :) ... mind you I quite like the way I have to start one set engines before launch and the rest on lift off, makes it feel more like a real rocket launch.

makes it feel more like a real rocket launch.

I decided that it has to look and feel a little bit more like reality.....and its possible, even with stock parts.

screenshot94o.jpg

Atlas-AgenaD – Mariner 4, November28, 1964 to December 21, 1967

performedthe first successful flybyofthe planet Mars

returningthe first pictures of the Martian surface

marsflyby @ 9,846 km

Launcher:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_SLV-3

Upperstage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RM-81_Agena#Agena-D

Payload:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariner_4

Mariner_4_launch_2.jpg

M01Bx6Sx5C.jpg

Instructions

BasicInfos

OriginalAgena D upper stage had 19,500Wh of electrical power from batteriesworking up to 8 days. You cant simulate that within KSP because youhave to build a flying batterie.... Agena also had no solar panels.Therefore i decided to combine two z-500 banks with a PB-NUK. WithinKSP it would work „forever“ but remember you have a maximum of 8days until launch. Thats my AgenaD stock model and i will use it thatway for everything following.

Theright way to do is to fire the AgenaD once to put it into a parkingorbit around Kerbin, and then fire it twice for thetrans-duna-injection (TDI) shot. There is more then enough fuel toreach duna wherever you like. But you are not allowed to use theAgenaD deep space...its dead there.... you have to stage away afterthe TDI.

Usethe probes RCS system for corrections.

Thehistoric timeframe for ths operation was

• Liftoff: 14:22:01 UTC
  • AgenaD 1st burn 14:28:14 to 14:30:38 (for orbit)
  • AgenaD second burn 15:02:53 to 15:04:28 (Mars transfer)
  • AgenaD separation: 15:07:09
  • Mariner 4 activation: 15:15:00 (solar panels out and so on)
    NASA need 8 minutes for orbiting and 32minutes for the transfer shot...thats about 1/3 of an earth orbit

Asthere is still no camera/photo stock part available (hope that itwill happen...sometime) the spotlight simulates the cameraweight/power requirements.

ActivateASAS with „T“

• stage for activate engines
  • rev engines to 100%
  • stage for liftoff
  • reduce acceleration to minimum between 1000m and 10000m
  • rev up to 100% power after passing 10000m and start grav turn to ~20° heading and 90° upwards trajectory
  • when reaching 600m/s press „R“ to activate RCS
  • when reaching 800m/s press „1“ for spearation of booster engines
  • upwards trajectory to 45°
  • change upwards trajectory to horizontal when reaching 110km apoapsis and reduce throttle to 30%
  • wait until burnout and stage away booster
  • activate upper stage 60 seconds prior to apoapsis, complete orbit and stop engine
  • manage your trans-duna-injection and fire once to reach Duna vicinity
  • stage away AgenaD
  • activate Mariner 4 by pressing „5“
  • correct you flight path with RCS several times – once after separation from AgenaD, one or two mid course, and one or more when you get within days of the flyby

theclock is running

screenshot97l.jpg

boosterhorizontal

screenshot101n.jpg

boosterseparation

screenshot102y.jpg

shootto Duna is programmed, waiting for the burn (there is a lot more fuelavailable than this cheap shoot reqired)

screenshot104t.jpg

thatsthe plan

screenshot105m.jpg

stagingaway Agena D

screenshot106m.jpg

probeactivation

screenshot107zq.jpg

closing

screenshot108qn.jpg

flyby

screenshot110qt.jpg

screenshot112ba.jpg

This thread inspired me to make a full-sized version of the Vostok or R7 rocket family. The upper stages aren't at all accurate, but I mainly wanted to get the lower shape of the lifter correct, as well as the engine configuration. I used a few tricks, but I didn't actually need to turn off clipping in the debug menu. Let me know what you think.

And feel free to download the craft file and improve on it.

Craft File:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6472509/VostokS.craft

BrgCQcm.jpg

DQUTIQC.jpg

Z7AYVZf.png

rtyd4XO.png

Comparison shot of the engines on the real thing:

BuntyiG.jpg

fZtTaaV.png

Edited by GusTurbo

not that bad for your Soyuz :) i think we need a collecting thread for all the Soyuzrockets flying around here in the Exchange XD

hey maro, getting better and better! keep the good work.

Thanks! One of the things that gave me headaches was trying to get the boosters angled correctly. There's still a bit of gapping at the top that I couldn't get any closer because of the 5 degree rotation increments. If I had more time to fiddle with, I might be able to improve. Also, I had to compromise on the shape a bit because the real thing tapers to a smaller size in the lower stage. I couldn't get it to look right going down to 1.25m from the larger size, but maybe someone here could figure it out.

WPqLi3Y.jpg

Thanks! One of the things that gave me headaches was trying to get the boosters angled correctly. There's still a bit of gapping at the top that I couldn't get any closer because of the 5 degree rotation increments. If I had more time to fiddle with, I might be able to improve. Also, I had to compromise on the shape a bit because the real thing tapers to a smaller size in the lower stage. I couldn't get it to look right going down to 1.25m from the larger size, but maybe someone here could figure it out.

*snip*

yeahm, the real design of teh R-7 is a bit tricky to replicate in KSP. if you have time, you should look into my thread about the R-7 family (link in signature)

hrm ... getting soem ideas right now. damn, too much great input from other players :D

This thread inspired me to make a full-sized version of the Vostok or R7 rocket family. The upper stages aren't at all accurate, but I mainly wanted to get the lower shape of the lifter correct, as well as the engine configuration. I used a few tricks, but I didn't actually need to turn off clipping in the debug menu. Let me know what you think.

And feel free to download the craft file and improve on it.

Craft File:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6472509/VostokS.craft

Comparison shot of the engines on the real thing:

Looks very good. But i think its oversized a lot. R-7s arent that powerfull.

The Sojus capsule is about 50% in weight compared to the Apollo-capsule. Even if you add the orbital module it weights 2/3 of the Apollo capsule. The Sojuz rocket is able to orbit 7t-8t.

I think - what it would need to build it to look and perform like the real is a downsizing of the diameter of the 909 to 25% - ist already to large for the power ist has - and then you could build the R-7 with 909s and 24-77s - and the size of the capsule should be somewhere between the Mk1 and Mk1-2. Lets wait what 0.20 will deliver to us....

Is it oversized? Wikipedia says the diameter of each booster is 2.68 meters, which seems pretty close to what the large tanks are sized at in KSP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_%28rocket_family%29#First_stage

Also, ignore the capsule on top, that's really just a placeholder. This was mostly a design exercise for the main engines and boosters.

Edited by GusTurbo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.