ULTIMATE AVIATION CHALLENGE: Fly an aircraft around the world

Sordid

Well, for my non-symmetrically placed control surfaces-- the canards and tail-- what I did was build one wing, clone it with Alt-Click, and then place the whole assembly at once, allowing me to line it up vertically and have all the horizontal symmetry taken care of. The only issue was the tailfins and landing gear on the tail, since those invert when you do it, so I had to remove those and replace them manually. The horizontal is still in close alignment but the vertical may be out.

Well, for my non-symmetrically placed control surfaces-- the canards and tail-- what I did was build one wing, clone it with Alt-Click, and then place the whole assembly at once,

clone it with Alt-Click

This. Changes. Everything.

My larger global flier wouldn\'t even run properly on my computer, I had a sad.

Why did you start flying higher than 6000m?

Do you mean why did he cruise at around 10000? if that is the question its because there is thinner atmosphere which means less drag which means more efficient cruising + faster speeds

My larger global flier wouldn\'t even run properly on my computer, I had a sad.

Why did you start flying higher than 6000m?

I redid the rocket somewhat and used C7\'s thruster instead of Sunday Punch\'s; the only parts it now uses are NS and C7\'s, aside from my ASAS redo. C7\'s thruster provides more even with the throttle as low as I had it, which allows for higher and faster cruising.

Seems the problem is that your parachute is dragging your front end down-- why not put some on the end of the plane?

It\'s the reverse, actually; the chute helps pull my nose up as well as kill forward speed (to an extent). I simply left deploying it too late and was distracted with taking screenshots. I have successfully landed it in test flights, successfully being defined as crew survival, but it could do with some work to avoid having the wings drag on the ground and explode. I could, with C7\'s hardpoints, probably add more chutes, but I don\'t think that will be necessary.

It\'s the reverse, actually; the chute helps pull my nose up as well as kill forward speed (to an extent). I simply left deploying it too late and was distracted with taking screenshots. I have successfully landed it in test flights, successfully being defined as crew survival, but it could do with some work to avoid having the wings drag on the ground and explode. I could, with C7\'s hardpoints, probably add more chutes, but I don\'t think that will be necessary.

You could just jettison the capsule. As for the wings, why not simply put landing skids on them? You still had plenty of fuel at the end, so the increased drag (and therefore fuel consumption) wouldn\'t be a problem.

You could just jettison the capsule. As for the wings, why not simply put landing skids on them? You still had plenty of fuel at the end, so the increased drag (and therefore fuel consumption) wouldn\'t be a problem.

Bah, jettisoning the capsule is the lazy man\'s way out. Besides, I\'d need a decoupler. I\'ve actually landed the ship without the parachute deployed, so I know that\'s possible, too. :P

And yes, putting gear on the wings is the plan. I had hoped that swapping the skids for gear would do it, but my test flights still consistently had my wing-ends tear off on landing, even if the rest was fine. =(

Foamy, I just wanted to say that your aircraft is beautiful.

I would put it as a game balancing requirement, that your plane must still be able to fly well in the future aerodynamic models (even if not flying on fumes, like it does now ;) )

Welp, I gave it a shot with a small canard plane I created purely out of stock & C7 parts, & I think I\'ve broken physics. Using AdSAS to keep the plane\'s attitude locked, It somehow seems to be able to glide indefinitely at about 8011m & 111m/s, with no cfg tweaking at all. :o

Thus far it\' been going for about 17 hours at 2x time, & has covered 7020636.2m over ground, which is about 1.8 orbits if the planet is indeed 1200km across. It shows no signs of stopping, so I\'m going to work now, & I\'ll see where it is when I get home. Pics will follow for you sceptics... :)