Bored 3D Modeler looking for a challenge..

Cryocasm

IMHO its not too fidgety, considering that resources are delivered in the 1000s and consumed in the 10s per Kerbal per day. I could, however, make a system similar to Kethane, where you'd transport a certain "OmniLifeSubstance", and then be able to convert it into its derivatives O2, Food, and Water.

Those engines of yours are fairly high up the list, I just need to finish a few more tests concerning CFG editing.

Indeed, but it doesn't really... "Do" anything, the LS system at least... Up to my knowledge (I used to use Ioncross LS, before I had to re-install and just cut down some of the "luxury" stuff), it doesn't use up any resources unless the craft is actually loaded onto memory... If they implement some sort of real-time use for resources, then I may look into practical LS...

You can have like a huge freighter-sized warehouse/container what would just use a "supplies" resource which can then be distributed to water, food, w/e. It would save up freighter size when it comes to part count...

Personally, I'd be more interested in some sort of research system...

Anyways... "My" engines... I assume you mean the Wraith turbojets, right?

Also, as for your VASIMR- 5k, almost 6km/s delta-V is actually a lot, in my experience. Some quick calculations (which I'm not entirely certain are correct) lead to a burn time of around 6~7 minutes for a Mun transfer (from a 70km orbit). That might seem like a long burn, but considering the thrust of the actual engines, and efficiency, it's actually pretty ideal. Especially if you're doing a 50-50 burn...

Also, what's the deal with the gigantic exhaust flame/plume thing? It shouldn't be as large...

Anyways, more on my VASIMIR concept... I'm thinking of having them radially mounted, instead of stackable. If you've used the Ion/Hybrid parts pack, there's a radial battery there with a blue streak. That's kinda what I have in mind... Kinda... They can be stackable, probably should for ease of thrust calculation and distribution... I am a Trekie through and through, so I'm thinking something like the Enterprise nacelles from TOS, or the NX-01 (from "Enterprise")... The thrust will come "from the back" of the part, needless to say, but the idea is that the slit thing on the side is where the plasma or whatever gets vented out... I'm currently doing some pencil concept/blueprints so I can figure them out better in my head. I'll try and model them myself (cause I really need to learn this if I am to be taken seriously)...

Indeed, but it doesn't really... "Do" anything, the LS system at least... Up to my knowledge (I used to use Ioncross LS, before I had to re-install and just cut down some of the "luxury" stuff), it doesn't use up any resources unless the craft is actually loaded onto memory... If they implement some sort of real-time use for resources, then I may look into practical LS...

You can have like a huge freighter-sized warehouse/container what would just use a "supplies" resource which can then be distributed to water, food, w/e. It would save up freighter size when it comes to part count...

Personally, I'd be more interested in some sort of research system...

Anyways... "My" engines... I assume you mean the Wraith turbojets, right?

Also, as for your VASIMR- 5k, almost 6km/s delta-V is actually a lot, in my experience. Some quick calculations (which I'm not entirely certain are correct) lead to a burn time of around 6~7 minutes for a Mun transfer (from a 70km orbit). That might seem like a long burn, but considering the thrust of the actual engines, and efficiency, it's actually pretty ideal. Especially if you're doing a 50-50 burn...

Also, what's the deal with the gigantic exhaust flame/plume thing? It shouldn't be as large...

Anyways, more on my VASIMIR concept... I'm thinking of having them radially mounted, instead of stackable. If you've used the Ion/Hybrid parts pack, there's a radial battery there with a blue streak. That's kinda what I have in mind... Kinda... They can be stackable, probably should for ease of thrust calculation and distribution... I am a Trekie through and through, so I'm thinking something like the Enterprise nacelles from TOS, or the NX-01 (from "Enterprise")... The thrust will come "from the back" of the part, needless to say, but the idea is that the slit thing on the side is where the plasma or whatever gets vented out... I'm currently doing some pencil concept/blueprints so I can figure them out better in my head. I'll try and model them myself (cause I really need to learn this if I am to be taken seriously)...

Well, you see, the .cfg documentation on the wiki doesn't suffice for changing thrust effect size. I also feel that they are just simply GIANT exhaust plumes, but, owell.

Well, if we round 6,000 m/s dV @ 50 Minutes, then your standard 750 m/s Trans Munar Injection burn weighs in at a burn time of 8.3 minutes.

Personally, I actually prefer chemical rockets for these "short-distance" burns, because for a TMI burn at a 75KM parking orbit you simply need that puush. An orbit of 75KM around Kerbin is a mere 35 minutes, and 8.3 is 1/4 of it.

Well, you see, the .cfg documentation on the wiki doesn't suffice for changing thrust effect size. I also feel that they are just simply GIANT exhaust plumes, but, owell.

Well, if we round 6,000 m/s dV @ 50 Minutes, then your standard 750 m/s Trans Munar Injection burn weighs in at a burn time of 8.3 minutes.

Personally, I actually prefer chemical rockets for these "short-distance" burns, because for a TMI burn at a 75KM parking orbit you simply need that puush. An orbit of 75KM around Kerbin is a mere 35 minutes, and 8.3 is 1/4 of it.

As I said, a standard 50-50 burn would really suffice... Or even a 70-30...

I was stuck having to use my overly unbalanced ORC-L MkI dropship design to get a crew to the Mun for my outpost there... I was required to have maximum burns of only about 33% thrust, anything higher and it would just start spinning. Calculating my burns to be something like 60-40 still gave me good accuracy, even with burns of 5-6 minutes...

Granted, I started Mun transfer from 400 km because I had to meet up with my LKO station, but even on rendezvous manoeuvres it handled well on 30% thrust with 60-40 burns... I actually managed to get relative inclination to be NaN (both for plane matchup to Hades Station and Hohman transfer to Mun), which is a "divide by zero" error i.e- perfect, from the first go... Proudest I've been this year... I also managed to meetup with what is to become Artemis Fuel Depot (now, an unmanned Arachnid tug/skycrane), again- perfect inclination and everything...

The rest of the mission kinda went haywire once I started my descent to the Munar surface, but anywho...

As I said, a standard 50-50 burn would really suffice... Or even a 70-30...

I was stuck having to use my overly unbalanced ORC-L MkI dropship design to get a crew to the Mun for my outpost there... I was required to have maximum burns of only about 33% thrust, anything higher and it would just start spinning. Calculating my burns to be something like 60-40 still gave me good accuracy, even with burns of 5-6 minutes...

Granted, I started Mun transfer from 400 km because I had to meet up with my LKO station, but even on rendezvous manoeuvres it handled well on 30% thrust with 60-40 burns... I actually managed to get relative inclination to be NaN (both for plane matchup to Hades Station and Hohman transfer to Mun), which is a "divide by zero" error i.e- perfect, from the first go... Proudest I've been this year... I also managed to meetup with what is to become Artemis Fuel Depot (now, an unmanned Arachnid tug/skycrane), again- perfect inclination and everything...

The rest of the mission kinda went haywire once I started my descent to the Munar surface, but anywho...

Right, I was planning of having a low-part space tug, but thats for later.

Now about your 2 jet engines, my texturing isn't the best, so how should we organize this in greater detail?

I could send you the UV unwrap and a render of the engine from 3 sides so you know which color on the unwrap equates to what surface on the engine, or do you prefer a different approach?

Right, I was planning of having a low-part space tug, but thats for later.

Now about your 2 jet engines, my texturing isn't the best, so how should we organize this in greater detail?

I could send you the UV unwrap and a render of the engine from 3 sides so you know which color on the unwrap equates to what surface on the engine, or do you prefer a different approach?

Gah... Not really into rendering myself...

But yeah, sure... Hand me the unwrap and the renders, I'm sure I'll figure it out (not like I have much else to do today...). I assume there's a list of applications for developing KSP models on the Wiki, right?

Anywho... I've been trying to figure out how to make the ballast tanks' ability to jettison the water have a cooling effect on engines... Any ideas for a fitting command line?

Gah... Not really into rendering myself...

But yeah, sure... Hand me the unwrap and the renders, I'm sure I'll figure it out (not like I have much else to do today...). I assume there's a list of applications for developing KSP models on the Wiki, right?

Anywho... I've been trying to figure out how to make the ballast tanks' ability to jettison the water have a cooling effect on engines... Any ideas for a fitting command line?

Just make an engine which uses water as its resource and produces negative heat (cooling).

Would that end up cooling other engines?

In pure game mechanical theory, yes.

And its easy to explain:

Suppose you set your spacecraft (consisting of a mainsail, a flat 2 meter tank, and a capsule) atop a Jumbo tank for whatever reason.

Now you fire your mainsail engine, to discover that you utterly incinerated the fuel tank below. This came due to excess heat.

This same reasoning explains how radial boosters can harm the main engine if improperly placed.

So, conversely, if you have a part producing negative heat as thrust, you create a primitive cooling mechanism.

In pure game mechanical theory, yes.

And its easy to explain:

Suppose you set your spacecraft (consisting of a mainsail, a flat 2 meter tank, and a capsule) atop a Jumbo tank for whatever reason.

Now you fire your mainsail engine, to discover that you utterly incinerated the fuel tank below. This came due to excess heat.

This same reasoning explains how radial boosters can harm the main engine if improperly placed.

So, conversely, if you have a part producing negative heat as thrust, you create a primitive cooling mechanism.

Hmm... We shall test it and see what doesn't blow up!

That actually seems like a solid thought..hmm yes...

How can we implement the supersonic air intake? Any changes I make to the intake speed in the cfg of any of the intakes results in... Nothing really... Air speed in the readout in-game is still the same... I'm guessing the supersonic combustion can be represented by a high specific impulse, rather than an all-out increase in thrust...

How can we implement the supersonic air intake? Any changes I make to the intake speed in the cfg of any of the intakes results in... Nothing really... Air speed in the readout in-game is still the same... I'm guessing the supersonic combustion can be represented by a high specific impulse, rather than an all-out increase in thrust...

Just a stupidly high vacuum Isp, while requiring "intake air" (a separate resource which isn't compatible with stock airbreathers, so that the intake which gives ~100 of this resource can't be abused). Remember, Scramjets are 40km+ in altitude, meaning the vac Isp applies very, very well up there.

Just a stupidly high vacuum Isp, while requiring "intake air" (a separate resource which isn't compatible with stock airbreathers, so that the intake which gives ~100 of this resource can't be abused). Remember, Scramjets are 40km+ in altitude, meaning the vac Isp applies very, very well up there.

Hmmm... Perhaps a use for Cabana Corp's P.O.R.K?

I think that it might be nice for several large-scale wing designs- delta wings, papered wings, swept (forward or rear) swept wings, box wings, etc.

I like wings.

There're already quite a lot of mods that add different wing designs...

^

True.... Then you might want to contact BobCat and his crew- they shrank recently, and he might like the help.

Cabana Corp doesn't really design wings or such... It might be something that gets looked into at some point, but currently we're content with using products of other companies...

So I've decided to round up the ideas and transform them into usable parts, as to allow people who didnt specifically request them to also find use in them:

The All-In-One Capsule stuff has evolved into the AC-Raumfahrer I, a manned system consisting of multiple parts:

Orbital Module: docking port 1-meter, top rcs clusters.

Crew Module (capsule): Parachutes, 3-men, retrorockets, heatshield.

Service Module: engine, bottom rcs clusters, fuel, solar panels.

The Rover sadly has to be put aside, as I'm more focused on Launchers and Spacestations currently.

2 Meter Batteries for space stations (will try my best at stock-alike)

Dreamchaser and SLS:

A 1-man (with cargobay), 3-man, and 5-man version of the same basic spaceplane will exist, which will be known as the Allspringer I-I, I-III, I-V, respectively.

SLS will come to life in form of a launcher system, similar to Anvil:

<1000 KG payload

<10000 KG payload

<25000 KG payload

<70000 KG payload (yes, 70 tons of payload, I even have a crude design of this)

Biodomes: Space Station Habitats.

Ion/Plasma/Magnetoplasma/Electrical Rockets: Will have a set of these eventually, will come as I read and study how they work.

Saturn V analog: see 70 ton payload design.

Habitat Capsule: will persist as an Orbital Module component for 2 meter capsules, high visibility.

Large Habitat: put aside until I have my 70 ton launcher going, as it would have the size necessary to be aerodynamic with this (5-m diameter habitat at least).

Solar sails: I will test their development, otherwise I will use the models as solar panels.

So I've decided to round up the ideas and transform them into usable parts, as to allow people who didnt specifically request them to also find use in them:

The All-In-One Capsule stuff has evolved into the AC-Raumfahrer I, a manned system consisting of multiple parts:

Orbital Module: docking port 1-meter, top rcs clusters.

Crew Module (capsule): Parachutes, 3-men, retrorockets, heatshield.

Service Module: engine, bottom rcs clusters, fuel, solar panels.

The Rover sadly has to be put aside, as I'm more focused on Launchers and Spacestations currently.

2 Meter Batteries for space stations (will try my best at stock-alike)

Dreamchaser and SLS:

A 1-man (with cargobay), 3-man, and 5-man version of the same basic spaceplane will exist, which will be known as the Allspringer I-I, I-III, I-V, respectively.

SLS will come to life in form of a launcher system, similar to Anvil:

<1000 KG payload

<10000 KG payload

<25000 KG payload

<70000 KG payload (yes, 70 tons of payload, I even have a crude design of this)

Biodomes: Space Station Habitats.

Ion/Plasma/Magnetoplasma/Electrical Rockets: Will have a set of these eventually, will come as I read and study how they work.

Saturn V analog: see 70 ton payload design.

Habitat Capsule: will persist as an Orbital Module component for 2 meter capsules, high visibility.

Large Habitat: put aside until I have my 70 ton launcher going, as it would have the size necessary to be aerodynamic with this (5-m diameter habitat at least).

Solar sails: I will test their development, otherwise I will use the models as solar panels.

You're more than welcome to come work with me, you know...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.