[0.24] Chatterer v.0.5.9.4

Iannic-ann-od

Hello! This mod seems really cool, and I would love to get it working. Everything seems to be installed correctly, as the options are all there. The problem is that it says there are 0 items in the apollo 11, etc. folders. I've tried to enter the directory manually, but all I get is a new option titled as the directory still reading 0 items. the beeps also don't seem to work. Any help on this is much appreciated! :)

Hello! This mod seems really cool, and I would love to get it working. Everything seems to be installed correctly, as the options are all there. The problem is that it says there are 0 items in the apollo 11, etc. folders. I've tried to enter the directory manually, but all I get is a new option titled as the directory still reading 0 items. the beeps also don't seem to work. Any help on this is much appreciated! :)

This is strange.

Check if your path looks exactly like this : "...\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\Sounds\chatter\apollo11"

And if you have "capcom" & "capsule" directories containing .ogg files in there.

First of all: i really like Chatterer best because it adds a tremendous amount of immersion.

But i have a problem with it. I restarted playing KSP with 0.23 (Windows 7). After adding chatterer, i get frequently lag in KSP. About every 5-6 seconds the program lags for about 0,5 secs. I finally found a way to work around this phenomenon by unchecking the audio-sets for sts and russian sounds. Not sure what actually happens, but it appears that Chatterer iterates at least in my case every few seconds over the sound files to do whatever with them. Probably this helps to fix the problem.

My chatter volume scales with headphone volume at launch or takeoff and thereafter scaling with in-game settings. This volumetric inconsistency literally pains me because I maximize my headphone volume and minimize my settings, causing mission control to shout when I launch or take-off! :( How do I make it stop?

-Duxwing

My chatter volume scales with headphone volume at launch or takeoff and thereafter scaling with in-game settings. This volumetric inconsistency literally pains me because I maximize my headphone volume and minimize my settings, causing mission control to shout when I launch or take-off! :( How do I make it stop?

-Duxwing

I want to confirm this. Even though I am not entirely sure the causes for the problem with my Chatterer are the same, but:

There is an inconsistency with the volume settings in the last version. No matter what volume I set, it just screams at 100% when I launch a new craft. Then I have to go to its settings, move the sliders around(+/-1% from 10% volume) and it seems to "remember".

But I am really considering uninstalling it, since like the previous poster said - it literally hurts my ears.

Don't know if the bug has something to do with me playing in a borderless window, which makes window not even detect KSP as a separate tweakable sound stream, or with the fact that Chatterer can't remember it's settings.

Dear people who are smarter than I with computer (ah.... you can hear the desparation in the voice already eh?)

I am VERY eager to get this mod working on KSP. But I am shall we say, 'technologically impaired' ^_^

So put simply here is my problem. Having successfully downloaded Chatterer I wanted to install it. I've been trying to find simple install instructions to little avail. So (much like my brave Kerbals - yes I rate high on courage AND stupidity here!) i EXPERIMENTED! I copied the Chatterer dll into a number of folders and the parts, plugins, textures, sounds into the KSP directory.

I can see the chatterer interface when I am flying my ships! However:

1) no sounds happen

2) the 'windows' that I open for for chatterer (when I click on it during play) are blank.

Um,.... Help ... please... Houston? ^_^

@Trevorsensei

You must install the whole 'Chatterer' folder (with all its subdirectories) in your KSP "Gamedata" folder, not in the KSP root folder.

Like this "\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\"

;)

@Trevorsensei

You must install the whole 'Chatterer' folder (with all its subdirectories) in your KSP "Gamedata" folder, not in the KSP root folder.

;)

So.... it should look like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild

in the same subdirectory as the 'Squad folder'?

:huh:

@Trevorsensei

;)

As mentioned in the previous post , I followed the above instructions.

Chatterer seems to have it's UI in the game now - however, there are no sounds.

I checked the options for 'chatterer sets' and there are no apollo, russian or sstv sounds there (0 entries).

Also, no beeping.

Further, it erased my previous savegame (*sighs* thankfully I'd copied it into another directory before that)!

@Trevorsensei

Yes, drop the chatterer folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData and it is installed.

@athlonic

@woodstar

Thank you both for the advice! It seems I am now 1/2 way there!

Alright. As mentioned in the previous posts , I followed the above instructions.

Chatterer seems to have it's UI in the game now - however, there are no sounds.

I checked the options for 'chatterer sets' and there are no apollo, russian or sstv sounds there (0 entries).

Also, no beeping.

Further, it erased my previous savegame (*sighs* thankfully I'd copied it into another directory before that)!

Advice?

So.... it should look like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild

in the same subdirectory as the 'Squad folder'?

:huh:

be sure to not have your sounds in :

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild\GameData\Chatterer\Sounds"

but

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\Sounds"

Actually, do not put your unziped "Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild" folder in Gamedata but only the "Chatterer" folder which contain Plugins, Sounds and Textures folders.

@Trevorsensei

Yes, drop the chatterer folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData and it is installed.

@woodstar

Sir/Mam,... thank you (and the KSP community) SO MUCH! Now it is working smoothly!

To everyone else who was as clueless as I, Chatterer should look like this for you:

-download the Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild.

-extract it in a separate directory.

- explore that directory till you get to ".......\Chatterer_0.5.9.2devBuild\GameData\Chatterer..."

- it is THIS chatterer that you extract and put in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

- So in the end your directories look like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\GameData

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\Plugins

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\sounds

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\textures

I want to confirm this. Even though I am not entirely sure the causes for the problem with my Chatterer are the same, but:

There is an inconsistency with the volume settings in the last version. No matter what volume I set, it just screams at 100% when I launch a new craft. Then I have to go to its settings, move the sliders around(+/-1% from 10% volume) and it seems to "remember".

But I am really considering uninstalling it, since like the previous poster said - it literally hurts my ears.

Don't know if the bug has something to do with me playing in a borderless window, which makes window not even detect KSP as a separate tweakable sound stream, or with the fact that Chatterer can't remember it's settings.

I have a similar problem. It just doesn't seem to matter what I set the volume sliders to on chatterer, I've even set them at 0%, but it doesn't seem to matter. The volume is just so in consistent, one minute it is at a nice volume the other minute it is screaming in my ears. Only the beeps are consistent. I freakin love the mod, which is the only reason I put up with it. I came to the thread hoping there was a patch to fix it.

I even have the application volume lowered to 10% in the window sound applet. KSP sound in general are inconsistent, but the mod is severely so.

I also run borderless window. The only way that "seems" consistent is by changing the sliders each time I enter a ship.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

• 2 weeks later...