KIDI- Kerbal Interplanetary Defence Initiative

Presenting daeCorp Mining Technologies' new original lineup.

Originally founded as a defence branch of daeCorp Mining Technologies, daeCorp Defence Technologies has become a sister corporation in her own right, producing top notch warships to defend both the Kerbin government and various corporate holdings across the Kerbolar System.

One of the earliest designs, the heavy-fighter, Talonhawk was intended for high atmosphere and space combat. There is also a lighter version intended for greater low-atmosphere speeds.

NJmOTuq.jpg

The much smaller atmosphere/orbital fighter, Starling. A newer design than the Talonhawk, capable of greater maneuverability and acceleration.

z0xohps.jpg

Armed with three anti-capital-ship torpedoes, the frigate, Sai is a tiny, deadly force to be reckoned with. The Sai-class is the fastest in the fleet, capable of rapid interplanetary travel or a quick escape after an attack.

A31I3fg.jpg

Built as a replacement for the cobbled-together Custodian-class, the Dastana-class cruiser is likewise armed with a Blunderbuss MkII MAC gun. The Blunderbuss MkII now has a replaceable clip for easy reloading in orbit, and may be equipped with either standard Anvil bullets, or Tombstone shotgun rounds.

The torpedoes are also replaceable with either standard torpedoes or the much larger anti-capital-ship torpedoes as used on the Sai-class.

While not as fast and maneuverable as the smaller classes, Dastana is a powerful ship able to rip through other ships in short order.

1W1HAzV.jpg

Dastana blots out the sun...

Km8mcE5.png

Several more ships are in the works as daeCorp Defence Technologies' business picks up. Stay tuned for more!

Will do that Jenkens. I'm planning on updating the post with the .craft files tomorrow.

Btw, I know most people use stock weapons, but has anyone tried using mechJeb as a missile guidance system. Its a total game-changer. Using the intercept autopilot and fine-tune buttons, while flying the missile you can reach out mind-boggling distances. I played a fighter assault against a cruiser, and launched small missiles using 3 stacked Oscar-Bs, at 4,000 km out, with a flight time of just over and hour. the relative closing velocity was insane, something like 2.7 km/s. the missile that hit, split my cruiser in half, with debris on escape trajectories.

MASV635-2: I tried using MJ to guide missiles but they would always just miss. :( Whats the fine tune buttons? :)

DaemonCaptrix: Those are some really good looking ships! :D Though i'm not a fan of the talonhawk as I don't like intake spam :P

I love how you kept the look of the ships while making them bigger, makes them seem like a proper series. :)

Will do that Jenkens. I'm planning on updating the post with the .craft files tomorrow.

Btw, I know most people use stock weapons, but has anyone tried using mechJeb as a missile guidance system. Its a total game-changer. Using the intercept autopilot and fine-tune buttons, while flying the missile you can reach out mind-boggling distances. I played a fighter assault against a cruiser, and launched small missiles using 3 stacked Oscar-Bs, at 4,000 km out, with a flight time of just over and hour. the relative closing velocity was insane, something like 2.7 km/s. the missile that hit, split my cruiser in half, with debris on escape trajectories.

The power of computers and newtonian physics in action. But imagine the other side had telescopes and the ability to use their RCS.

Rune. In the end stock KSP combat is fun, and that is enough in my book. But I want to try that, just for lols.

MMOCF-00 Kapella

This vehicle is first of its series and is somewhat an experiment and hybrid between light carriers and strikecrafts.

EDIT: The craft has been modified to version 01 Kapella. Here is the updated craft file.

0T957Xj.jpg

Here is the front with conventional weaponry. Kapella has three kinect rockets, one within the hull and two outside; they are good at engaging targets at short ranges.

rtsNZ8L.jpg

The rear contains the hybrid part; it has four docking ports that allow it to carry up to four (or even five with another docking port available) compact fighters into combat, essentially providing support and increasing its range.

Powered by twin rocket engines, the ship has a decent deltaV of just above 3km/s, allowing it to perform independent operations within Kerbal SOI, although it is destined to be a support craft.

Edited by Tyber

Slinty: I'd had my suspicions about that, I had several that looked destined for good hits, but ended up missing completely.

ComradeJenkens: I've also had problems with very close misses, it'll say its on course with a closest approach of mm s but will end up missing by 10-20 meters. between that and Slinty's problem I only have a average 1-in-5 success rate, but imo the one hit, makes up for the others. I don't know, if its something added relatively recently, but under the maneuver-planner there's a tab for fine-tuning your closest approach. extremely helpful for guiding missiles.

Rune: True enough, but on the flipside, do you really think someone is going to stick around waiting for you to manuever to within 500 meters and let you line up a shot without taking action. Either way using MJ seems to heavily favor smaller strike-craft type ships, as in my experience at those speeds no armor can withstand even a single hit from a small missile, but strike-craft do need a home so.... and the age old discussion continues!

Ok so the battle of Duna between Zokesia and Probe Tek was a narrow victory for us. I have learned that the Constantine Light Frigate/ Heavy Fighter is useless in all except its armor, which it is unparalelled in. Also the necesity of an effective ramming ship after ammo is used is also an important consideration. therefore i want to release the Burke Ranger, an unmanned fighter designed to probe deep into the enemy's territory. Has a removable battering ram and (for now) two torpedoes on the sides and seats for 8 kerbals if necesarry. carries lots of fuel and an RCS system, and has 4 ion engines.

WARNING: when launching, make sure the NERVA is not attached at the bottom or when the covers jetteson they will tear the ship apart. Best to attach Engines radially.

THis ship goes to spiritwolf.

http://www./download/77x20sovc7clnfo/Burke_Class_Mk_II.craft

x3NDmtt.png

After a few days of failed tests, I have finally managed to create a "Capital" ship, the Valerian MSSI-A02

This behemoth of a craft comes with 5000 dV in the form of 16 nuclear engins and has 8 anti-armor missiles.

While not the prettiest design, it is deadly against the most heavily armed craft.

Now comes with a launcher!!!

(Image will be updated to show launcher eventually, craft file includes craft with launcher)

FyK5H9Z.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mk7dym5u8e1l0u/Valerian%20MSSI-A02%20%281%29.craft

Edited by Orbiter

Totaling in at over 1120 parts, it's pretty much just a lead weight (especially due to the highly prototype quadro-penta-layer armor), but it's armored in all but one direction and is looking rather nice. Just don't expect to use this as a flagship anytime soon, because it's mostly a technology demonstrator without practical or even working propulsion at this stage, and is not expected to be my first official class of ships. Enjoy the pics, and for any curious and adventurous souls, my craft file: (And no, it cannot get legitimately into orbit... yet. Hehe. :):cool:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ozsc8xb4xhooo6/Sthal%27s%20Cruiser%20R2.craft

hgJnN4W.jpg

4eIJQgi.jpg

ayNDafq.jpg

FWrFRLt.jpg

Also, the cutter class has just started tests.

One of my pet projects... the cutter (It focuses on functionality, or efficiency, over looks, but I will polish it's aesthetics later.). Craft file has not been tested yet, so it is very much an untested craft file. It was just supposed to be a small shuttle, but I think it is starting to approach the frigate rating... . This ship is also an attempt at integrating the various methods I tried on the previous ship, including tri-layered side armor with spaced out panels to make sure the kinetic energy does not go directly to the next panel, but through an open space. An open space in between all of the panels actually makes this ship rather survivable to side shots, but it definitely needs some more work... .

EDIT: Congratulations on the victory Zekes! :):cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/as0ayb4op5mawx7/Cutter%201.craft

dJ3ofLR.jpg

mqEaZiN.jpg

L1eGGeb.jpg

J4YkFAp.jpg

The arkbird is progressing nicely, although it is proving to be quite a challenge

sApCKOq.jpg

An earlier iteration

R2cqras.jpg

You guys have some fantastic exo-atmospheric craft, and I wish I could stack up, but my strength is in in atmosphere.

I wanted to build a medium capacity/long range bomber, and I've always been a fan of the B-25's type of high mounted gullwing. Heavily B9 Aerospace. (In fact, all B9, besides the PWing.)

MB-100B

oyEBgWa.jpg

6zUJu9y.jpg

uSOlAcq.jpg

qYApQbn.jpg

I can say that my ship is about the same size... and mine is a rather open type structure, even if it has some of the heaviest armor ever equipped. Your ship is probably much more practical than my ship could ever be, although mine is designed to carry large amounts of fighters and ships in the front half. :):cool:

EDIT: With a few minor modifications, it can carry over 48 ships!!!!

Edited by andrew123

I can say that my ship is about the same size... and mine is a rather open type structure, even if it has some of the heaviest armor ever equipped. Your ship is probably much more practical than my ship could ever be, although mine is designed to carry large amounts of fighters and ships in the front half. :):cool:

EDIT: With a few minor modifications, it can carry over 48 ships!!!!

Sadly I can't use mine as it is around 570 parts so my PC drops to slideshow mode :(

And that is an impressive hanger bay!! First true carrier I've seen.

Thanks, and this ship drops my laptop to 12 fps. :( Well, the first iteration with less armor had 300 parts, so I could try to make it a practical carrier, but these ships can be quite wobbly without structural engineering. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.