Looped animations?

Pierce Hammer

I'm trying to find a way to loop animations without needing custom plugins. I'm using blender/unity to create models. Currently the animation is just for looks, so any method that would get a looping animation should be fine. Does anybody have information on this?

For some reason whenever i clicked the loop tickbox the part just would not load (Caused ksp to freeze on startup)

I have no idea why, but that setup works for me

lol its funny how things work, for me if I don't tick the box my animations don't loop, go figure :)

• 3 weeks later...
Can you still turn the animation on and off when it's set to loop? I'd like to do some visual effects like a spinning radar dish but I'd like to "turn it on" and "turn it off".

Not that I am aware of, no not without a mod.

Right Click menu and pressing the button in the game, all that does is simply play the animation between the split frames you designated.

The only way I could see it done, is put the retract/open animation from say, frames 1-60, then use frames 61-1500 for the rotate. Sure, it will stop at some point but will spin for a while.

The only problem I have with animation in Kerbal, is the Lag factor :( any complicated animations lag the absolute crap out of the game. Even if the part is only made up of 2 pieces and one of them animates, if the animation has alot of keyframes and direction changes, it slows the game right down, I wish they would add multithreading support.

I'm trying to find a way to loop animations without needing custom plugins.

Just realized you wanted no custom plugins. Yeah, what devogen said. I'll keep the below text for posterity.

I always just add a blank animation to my object in Unity. Click on your object, then Component -> Miscellaneous -> Animations, hit ctrl-6 and create a new animation clip. You can input frames and adjust rotation in that window. Then click on the animation in the Inspector window and remove it, the original animation file will highlight in yellow in the Project window as you clicked previously. When selecting the clip in the Project window, select Wrap Mode: Loop in the Inspector window, then drag it onto the object you're animating in the Hierarchy tree.

With this method I can do easy deploy/retract animations from Blender to export and more complex rotational type ones from Unity. This also helps me in not needing to piggy-back additional frames (ie frames 1-60, 61-100) on to the same animation file. Plus I can add multiple animation clips on to the same part this way - my project has three different clips on it. I should also add that I'm using a development version of the RemoteTech.dll to test out JDP's new animation module. He's added a module that creates a master animation (MasterOf0 = True/False) that controls the mode state of all animations in a part, among other things. It can be handy like when closing a cargo bay door, but forgetting to retract the large antenna inside.

Perhaps send JDP a message, if anyone is interested in expanding on animations, he's (with some help from Alchemist) doing some awesome stuff. :D

Edit: JDP's plugin will also stop looped animations.

Edited by Spaceghöst
Herp, derp!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.