Geology

3quin0x

Reminds me my old Geology excursions time! But I bet I'm not the only one who would LOVE to see some sort of geology thingy in this game (like Sismometer packs, rock sample collectors, sample return missions, etc etc). Maybe there's out there a mod that satisfies my needs?

PS: that's a very accurate version of what geologists call "close visual inspection"!

You mean you have to lick rocks? And examine their hardness using your noses instead of pickaxes? :0.0: But...but kerbals do not have noses!

Oh yes, one my friends in my A-Level geology class is a rock licker. Hell, our teacher made some of us EAT some clay once on a trip, claiming it was edible. It didn't make anyone ill, but it apparently tasted pretty nasty :sticktongue:

Anyway, yeah, major banter sessions in our class, usually aimed at the rock licker (he doesn't actually lick rocks, but we like to think he does...). We call him Sid, but that's not his real name. He likes fossils mostly. Me? I'm all for minerals and volcanology, plus planetary geology :wink:

I have a pretty decent collection of gemstones, crystals, minerals and some pebbles. A lot of my stuff has come from out in the field, and there are some really good specimens amongst them. However, the best looking ones I have were bought. Just to name a few:

Malachite

Cobalt

Amethyst (Lots and lots of amethyst, because there's so much for sale...)

Emerald (Rough. If it were polished and high-carat, I'd be rich :P)

Celestine

And a lot more.

It would be very interesting to see different minerals appear in the game, at the very least for my interest. No doubt the deposits could be mined, examined, catalogued, and uses found for them. Also, it would make the different places look pretty :D

And as for that picture on Mun... yeah, field trips are like this, maybe with a little more atmosphere and a little more... wet weather, amongst other things...

Well, we've seen some pretty neat animations of kerbal picking up and examining rocks - so we do know devs are working on this part of the game. I would love to have more scientific stuff to do on the surface too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.