Kerbals & Collision Meshes

Alskari

Hello everyone! I am the creator of the Hollow Structures & Hulls mod. A problem some people seem to have with my mod is that occasionally EVA Kerbals will die instantly when they come in contact with some of my larger parts.

I am aware that people can press Alt+F12 to turn off collision damage, but I am curious if there is a permanent fix I could offer?

Thanks!

Hello everyone! I am the creator of the Hollow Structures & Hulls mod. A problem some people seem to have with my mod is that occasionally EVA Kerbals will die instantly when they come in contact with some of my larger parts.

I am aware that people can press Alt+F12 to turn off collision damage, but I am curious if there is a permanent fix I could offer?

Thanks!

I had the same problem, and fixed it was all related to my hatch and how close it was to the main convex collider. My latest one the WT-51, I put the EVA inside the cargo bay,

which was causing kerbals to explode inside sometimes, all turned out to be a badly placed hatch collider. Even if you are not using the hatch, it's still a detectable collider,

so if it has a problerm and even if you are not using it, simply passing by it or touching it can cause your issue. Move the hatch or resize it.

Thanks. That is strange. I wonder if ladders also can cause issues. I guess I'll move the hatch off a bit to ensure that it doesn't touch the collider mesh.

Ladder's were a nightmare the first time I tried.. I remember being shot off into space so far, I lost my kerbal :)

once you make a set of the structures how do you get a rocket to turn everything?

I created the 1st floor with 3 4mrooms and upper floor with 2 command HQ on the top of the 2 outer 4m floors and used the jool V rockets with a 5 modded sas units set to 80000 torque and still cant get them to turn.

is it something in the model that needs to be set?

also is there a reason that the commandHQ's are adv sas modules? that maybe the problem.

Edited by COL.Neville

once you make a set of the structures how do you get a rocket to turn everything?

I created the 1st floor with 3 4mrooms and upper floor with 2 command HQ on the top of the 2 outer 4m floors and used the jool V rockets with a 5 modded sas units set to 80000 torque and still cant get them to turn.

is it something in the model that needs to be set?

also is there a reason that the commandHQ's are adv sas modules? that maybe the problem.

The commandHQ is an overpowered advSAS to hopefully ease the movement of structures. I hate to ask but are you sure you've got a power source and a commandable module attached?

Currently I'm planning on moving all of the old stuff to 'Legacy' so that I don't screw up people's saves, because I still didn't know what the heck I was doing with those parts, and they are pretty screwed up.

KSP is the first game I've ever done any modding for, so I'm still very much an amateur. I am working on updating the mod. My main objectives being, making better looking parts, correcting center of mass, better animations, and adapters to work with other similar mods.

I edited the module piece of part.cfg and took out the module=advSAS and changed it to part and now it turns. also took out the pid values as well. I think what is happening is that those are not working together with the rocket asas but overriding or fighting the rocket asas.

yeah two commandmodules one for the rocket and one for the structures so once I undock it it wont be debris.

aSr1EZc.jpg

no idea but before with it set how it came outta the zip no workie. now with the part.cfg changed to just part and pid values removed it works. im thinking just leave all of this as "dumb" parts for the time being. meaning module=Part.

only other thing is whats with the horizontal airlocks and doors? not understanding that decision. only suggestion I would have is if you can integrate lighting into the models kinda like the lackluster stuff does with their green houses and stuff that would be great help keep the part count down. vertical airlocks and/or doors integrated into the walls for the 4m/2m rooms and a garage door that just lifts the whole wall or something so you can drive a vehicle into the 4m one. not the existing walls of the bldg. just another version of the separate walls you have already as well as another wall with a 1.25 adapter so you can connect other parts to these. Also a slightly scaled down version of the command hq with a standard hole in the bottom would make an awesome bridge for bigger ships. otherwise nice im enjoying trying to make a colony outta these. waiting for devo's biodomes. you can also watch me doing the bobcat colony challenge with all of this on my twitch channel col_neville. doing the basics on the mun first then out to the other bodies.

Edited by COL.Neville

Great to hear. I will not be releasing anything soon. However, when I get closer to updating I'd love to give you early access to some parts for testing. I am bad about spending all my time modeling and not much actually playing.

I agree. EVE Online has been consuming all my free time, and I am horribly lazy about everything other than modeling. I'll do my best to knock out some updated octagonal rooms and fix the Remora's hatch before the weekend. Send me a message with your email and I'll send them to you for testing.

• 2 weeks later...
Ladder's were a nightmare the first time I tried.. I remember being shot off into space so far, I lost my kerbal :)

One of my first attempts ended up with my kerbal having a 10 tonne 16 meter high tube strapped to his back sliding away from the kerbal space center. He promptly exploded after getting about 700 meters away down the road.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.