Kerbal Moments

mod1982

I remember this thread being around before the big reset and yet nobody's restarted it, so allow me to pick up the baton with an absolutely fandabbydozie error from last night(video pending!).

I built a heavy lander to get to the Mun to rescue a couple of stranded Kerbalnauts... just sitting on the launch pad the ship shook itself to death at least three times before I just thought stuff it, and reinforced the absolute crap out of it. Then despite being the most powerful ship I've ever built, it struggled to hit LKO so a couple more restarts... It was actually smaller than most of my normal ships and with fewer parts, but I still wasn't happy with solidly attached pieces randomly dropping off when they felt like it.

Finally we get to the Mun and land about 8km from the target - not bad for my first attempt at a precision landing! The landing was "interesting" so I thought there's no point risking the lander any more, let's just keep it here and move the old lander over.

Only to discover that in the 2 weeks of RL time since touching the lander, it had run out of fuel completely. There was originally enough to get the thing into a Mun orbit, and no more - hence the rescue. Which meant moving the two Kerbalnauts over 8km of terrain on foot.

On Kerbin you can fast forward to 4x, however on the Mun as I discovered you couldn't - meaning it took me nearly an HOUR to get just Jebediah over to the new lander.

Bill died en route, as a random glitch made him fall through the surface of the Mun and fall to his death.

You can imagine my joy when I finally see the rescue ship getting bigger, and the distance to it getting smaller and smaller. All this walking(and not wanting to use the jetpack in case we accidentally kill Jeb) would soon be over, we would get into our ship which had plenty of fuel to get home, we would be finally sorted after the glitchiest Kerbal session ever.

And then with just 200m to go, the rescue ship spontaneously combusted and blew up into several pieces, some of which are still orbiting the Mun.

Worst. Session. Ever. [-moderator snip-]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.