SDF-1 in KSP

hunter4hire

Any Robotech Fans out there?

I've been trying to build a SDF-1 replica space station in KSP, but the size is just too big of an issue, also I've been trying to make it transformable using the robotics pack, but it has stabling issues.

no pictures yet, as it's still not complete.

The total base will be in 9 parts.

2 legs

2 guns

Prometheus & Daedalus ships

3 part body & head.

I want it to house 4 veritech fighters in cargo bays. Obviously this might be too big of an undertaking, so if there's anyone out there who would offer help in designing & building this monstrosity, that would be awesome.

Here's a peak of what it would look like, & transformation cycle.

Yay Macross! <3

Didn't see SDF-1 done anywhere but i've seen some YF-1's and a certain "White base" from even older series :P recently here: (link on the image)

?plugin=ref&page=FrontPage&src=top_image2.jpg

Unfortunately i couldn't find more information on the site itself since my Japanese is pretty basic. But maybe they have already done SDF-1 somewhere.

Slightly off topic, I've also ran into size problems while trying to recreate an Imperial battleship 294px-Tannhauser.jpg from a certain other space opera :)

Edit: I'm an idiot, spending more time trying to find that stupid japanese site and then trying to find something of use rather than actually reading OP. sorry

Anyways it would be super cool to have such nice model in KSP, even if it didn't transform.

How big the model is? The original ship is more than kilometer long so it's probably scaled a lot.

Edited by Nao

yes, I'm going for 1/50th scale or so, making it any bigger would laaaaaag tooo much & crash.

I want to use custom parts from a mod that have large panels with great integrity, and each part should be kept under 75 parts, maybe 100 & all shell, not much internal. most parts will be on the bridge head, it has alot of detail. thx 4 the links, it's so cool to more of these types of project.

if this turns out to be too big & a fail, I'm gonna work on Captain Harlocks Ship, Arcadia.

2013-01-31_222048_Arcadia.jpg

Wait, someone made Kerbal Veritechs? That is awesome! It would cool if you could get the SDF-1 to work. Even if it couldn't transform.

Robotech gets a bad rap from anime snobs, but the Macross saga part of it was barely different from the original (just enough so they could fit the later shows in) and was pretty well done. It's nice to see that other people liked it too.

I don't suppose anyone's made a Kerbal Outlaw Star?

Ohh i thought you were going to make the whole ship into a part and using the model from the video.. something like the Buran shuttle mod or this.

Also damn the forum wipe, there was a nice thread on giganormous mass relay somebody made out of stock parts but it seems to be missing from the forums, (it looked like this). Author didn't made it modular so it was very hard to get into orbit.

From my (small) experience when building modular ships clipping sometimes can give some problems even if the module itself looks stable, so i usually test things in hyperedit often so i don't have to redo too much if things don't work right.

Also little off topic but talking about anime and KSP i always think about my personal favorite anime of all times: Wings of Honneamise :)

Honnemaise2_zps77eafd88.jpg

0000238976.jpgtumblr_mbeh61uoOG1qj7fjto1_500.jpg

Recreating this in KSP would be quite cool!

Ohh i thought you were going to make the whole ship into a part and using the model from the video.. something like the Buran shuttle mod or this.

Also damn the forum wipe, there was a nice thread on giganormous mass relay somebody made out of stock parts but it seems to be missing from the forums, (it looked like this). Author didn't made it modular so it was very hard to get into orbit.

From my (small) experience when building modular ships clipping sometimes can give some problems even if the module itself looks stable, so i usually test things in hyperedit often so i don't have to redo too much if things don't work right.

Also little off topic but talking about anime and KSP i always think about my personal favorite anime of all times: Wings of Honneamise :)

0000238976.jpgtumblr_mbeh61uoOG1qj7fjto1_500.jpg

What are the technical specifications (diameter, stages, number of engines) of that thing? Might try to kerbalize it...

What are the technical specifications (diameter, stages, number of engines) of that thing? Might try to kerbalize it...

I've never found actual numbers, but since the story is placed in a "parallel" universe that resembles times of cold war and russian space program. I believe the launcher in the movie is based on R-7_Semyorka rocket, probably the variant that sent Vostock capsule with first man to space: Vostock 3KA. I've only found some rough specs here for the vostok launcher, but they should be somewhere on the web.

Hmm I never noticed how much the anime version resembles that rocket. Maybe somebody on the forums already done the R7 :)

I've never found actual numbers, but since the story is placed in a "parallel" universe that resembles times of cold war and russian space program. I believe the launcher in the movie is based on R-7_Semyorka rocket, probably the variant that sent Vostock capsule with first man to space: Vostock 3KA. I've only found some rough specs here for the vostok launcher, but they should be somewhere on the web.

Hmm I never noticed how much the anime version resembles that rocket. Maybe somebody on the forums already done the R7 :)

Alright then. :D

rhUnhpt.jpg

Guest Brody_Peffley

The reason japan probably doesn't have a space program is because there focusing on saving earth by bringing down electricity power, And pollution. And Nasa already is an international. We may not get along. But we get along in space!

The reason japan probably doesn't have a space program is because there focusing on saving earth by bringing down electricity power, And pollution. And Nasa already is an international. We may not get along. But we get along in space!

Oh but they have! Linku! They just are modest about it, and never sent a filthy human into orbit to brag about :P:P.

Alright then. :D

Hahaha nice! I remember some mod had gimbaled verniers that could be added to the side of the main stage, and maybe use fairing factory to do the sleek boosters. I want to try it too >_< but stupid driver issue is not letting me play KSP.

I LOVE THAT ANIME!!! and first time playing ksp, when i first made orbit back when only the moon was up. (can't remember the right version)

I was pretending & role playing I was ****otsugh Lhadatt. and I've recreated the rocket back then, I haven't done that in a long time! So I'm gonna make it asap & post it here!!! Thx 4 thi AWESOME reminder!!

Edited by hunter4hire

Ok, I just took an hour and a half designing it, and I think this is my best recreation of it at this time.

Captain Kalawang, that is a terrible representation of The SS-6 "Sapwood" Rocket from Wings of Honneamise, which in fact is based on a Russian R-7 Rocket.

If you're gonna do it, do it right.

I present to you....

The SS-6, from Wings of Honneamise

wings-of-honneamise_zpsc823b2a1.png

Craft File: Click here for link

I hope you like it Nao, and thx again for the inspiration!

Engineering Notes:

- All stock parts.

- "1" extends antenna.

- Abort function working with an escape tower, just in case

- Original has only 4 engines on each stack, but I thought it would look cooler with 5, if you don't like it, you can remove it.

- When the 4 rockets separate, they might explode, so maybe put on more separatrons? XD

Edited by hunter4hire

JAW DROPPED :o. Its AWESOME!

I wonder if making the middle part (second stage) out of four 1m tank stacks would bring the boosters more close for better effect and maybe solve the staging problems.

Great work!

JAW DROPPED :o. Its AWESOME!

I wonder if making the middle part (second stage) out of four 1m tank stacks would bring the boosters more close for better effect and maybe solve the staging problems.

Great work!

I actually tried that! The problem is that it doesn't hold well during lifter separation, not only that, the rocket has no rcs, nor thrust vectoring, so it's a mammoth whale of a beast to maneuver. But I will try again another day, I'm glad you like it ^_^

Oh, and thx 4 the Rep! ^_^

Edited by hunter4hire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.