Does MechJeb render Protractor useless?

CoriW

Well, I've just removed my plugins to update some of them, and was wondering if MechJeb2.0 is pretty much a replacement for Protractor now that it can set maneuver nodes for interplanetary injection burns. Also I noticed that you can view vessel info in the VAB with MechJeb, though I haven't really taken a good look at it, and was wondering if that vessel info is pretty much a replacement for the vessel info Engineer Redux gives?

This is pretty much an attempt by me to reduce the number of plugins I have while still keeping much of the functionality.

Not at all. Protractor is much better, as it shows the difference between your current phase angle and orbit position, to the phase angle and orbit position you need to transfer. As far as I remember, Mechjeb only shows you the angles themselves.

KAC makes Protractor partially redundant I found, as you don't need it as much for keeping track of launch windows. The Engineer Redux gives a lot more useful info than mechjeb's in VAB display, and is easier to make appear. Mechjeb's vessel info window, used in flight presents the data somewhat differently though, so I often put a ship on the launchpad to check it with that.

Mechjeb and Redux both have inflight stats, and overlap there a bit. The main distinction between mechjeb and redux are mechjeb's autopilot features, some of which can be used as guidance for manual flight. The landing system helps judge the result of aerobrake maneuvers, for example.

Things are probably slightly different in mechjeb 2, which I don't have yet.

I find that while mechjeb is good for some things it's more than a little derpy when it comes to transfer burns so I generally use the maneuver nodes and tell mechjeb to hold me at the right orientation (Which it DOES do quite well even if it is a bit expensive!) while I handle the throttle

Call me crazy but I have found that I prefer remote tech flight computer for holding too a node angle. It aligns on the node and then holds that angle without making angle corrections during the burn i.e. it does not track the node point as remaining delta v expenditure approaches 0 and calculation get fuzzy. I find that this uses less mono-propellant and gives more accurate burns.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.