Hawkinator's almost-multiplayer pass along the save file challenge thingy.

CHALLENGE 81 COMPLETED!

Kerbals Lost: 0

After a fairly uneventful but nauseating flight in the "Slinkee" Low Orbit Fuel Depo (yes I did actually rename it, and change it from a lander to a station in the sort menu:wink:), Orbart made it into low orbit around the mun's equator and is ready for docking.

screenshot33.png

Meanwhile, back at KSC there is a radical new design ready for it's first flight!

screenshot34.png

This 40 ton monster is ready to be put into orbit, so it can begin KSC's master plan of total solar system domination!...What? there are no alien races in the game? I guess you could just fly it to Duna or Eve or some other planet with an atmosphere and fly around for a bit before coming back to Kerbin then.

Challenge #82:

This is your mission, if you choose to accept it.

Fly the Star Destroyer SSAO into orbit. It has just enough fuel to make it to Duna after making orbit (but not back) so you should have plenty of fuel to spare. Once in orbit the plan is to refuel it at a fuel station later so we can send it to Eve or Duna (if we have a fuel station around Jool we could send it there, but I stopped reading what was going on at page 17 so I have no idea).

If you're new to flying SSAOs, just getting into orbit will probably be enough for you. If getting into orbit wasn't much of a challenge, you can proceed to step two and dock it with a fuel station for fueling (I'm pretty sure we have a station up with fuel in it, right?).

1 key toggles jets (lower one starts losing power at altitude first for some reason. if you're pitching down a lot, that's why)

2 toggles nukes (use this and the LV-30 once jets start losing power)

3 toggles the LV-30 (don't use this once out of atmosphere)

4 opens/closes the high altitude intakes (close these at first, then open when the 4 main are not enough)

5 opens/closes the main intakes (close these and the high alt intakes when jets are disabled and you're using rockets, to reduce drag)

You might want to turn off the two front RCS for docking, they're used mainly for pitch/yaw and aren't aligned with the center of mass like the other RCS are. It has about 5x as much RCS fuel as the Slinkee though so you should be fine either way.

Here is the Save File

EDIT: In the future, DO NOT TAKE THIS TO EVE. I just tried it, and the thick atmosphere forces the center of lift even further forward while the center of gravity is farther back, even with fuel redistributing. It will stay backwards the whole flight. you can still land it (backwards), but besides that, it'll be useless and stranded. Ther "air" in Eve isn't even compatible with the engines, so you can't use it for really efficent SSAO anyway. The thinner atmosphere of Duna would be a safer bet (especially if it's actual air), since we don't have the updated version I made (with even more wings on the back) in orbit or anything

Edited by Tripod27

Ah, if I knew someone else was already working on it I would've waited :wink: I'll hurry up and finish then, so that you can do the next one :)

Challenge #82 Completed

Total Kerbals lost: 2

Total Extra-Kerbin landings: 8

The Star Destroyer has reached orbit. It was a little difficult to dock with the temporary fuel depot, but the Garbage Truck mk2 served as an excellent attachment point:

FnmuwOys.png QSFYKjDs.png zhdlj3bs.png x1Q5XU7s.png XspYjV6s.jpg

For this challenge, the Tranquility lounger is ready to launch. Board two more kerbals on her, send her into orbit, and circularize on the Rockmax 24-77's (careful not to drop them), then time-warp 24hrs or so. Optional objective: design a module to counter-balance the (16.24T) Tranquility lounger for when the Valkyrie transports her to Lathe.

So7Ad1A.jpg

The launch vehicle feeds off the FLT-800's until the SRB's drop, and has enough dV to reach orbit. The radial thrusters are meant to de-orbit the module on Laythe, and she should have enough parachutes to land alone. There is only one docking port and no RCS though.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZoUml0SkRySHJWN28/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by ThePsuedoMonkey

Heh, I guess covering the thing with wings does make fuel a bit hard to balance

I'm pretty sure I set the fuel to transfer from the jet tanks to the rocket tank to the nuke tanks, so as long as you can see a sliver of the nuke tank you can pull it from there and put it anywhere else without worrying too much

So for the lounger do you have a ladder on the bottom or would a mod like crew manifest be recommended? (just curious, doing two challenges in a row seems a bit selfish so I'll let someone else grab this one)

Here's a quick overview of the save:

Total Completed Challenges: 82

RIP Hudfrid Kerman (5/3/13)

RIP Herory Kerman (6/1/13)

Total Being Tracked: 38

Vessel Status:

1. LRA Refueler - Landed Idle at KSC
  2. Soyuz-117 - Landed Idle on Laythe
  3. Jenlorf Kerman - EVA on Laythe
  4. Manticore One - Awaiting Dres SOI change (52d, 17h, 29m)
  5. Link Rover - Mobile Base - Landed Idle on Mun
  6. Jool Fuel Depot A - Orbiting Kerbin
  7. Hermes I Jool - Orbiting Kerbin
  8. TV Sat- Polar - Orbiting Kerbin
  9. TV Sat- Equator - Orbiting Kerbin
  10. Mun Base Beacon - Landed Idle on Mun
  11. Act Corp. Duna Habitat - Orbiting Kerbin
  12. Manticore - Landed Idle at KSC
  13. MunSat Mk1 - Orbiting Mun
  14. Kerbosity - Orbiting Kerbin, Awaiting Duna transfer (28d, 14h, 21m)
  15. Act Corp_ Duna Station Core EZ - Orbiting Kerbin, Awaiting Duna Transfer (21d, 16h, 15m)
  16. Popcorn - Orbiting Kerbin, Awaiting Jool transfer (23d, 6h, 33m)
  17. Delta Class Probe - Orbiting Minmus
  18. Manticore Two - Awaiting Moho approach (24d, 18h, 47m)
  19. Bill's Excellent Adventure - Parked on Kerbin (Currently about 90Km north of KSC)
  20. Bill Kerman - Eating snacks on Kerbin with Jeb
  21. Jebediah Kerman - Telling Bill a hilarious story about the time his rocket exploded
  22. Picknick Basket - Running low on snacks
  23. Shiva Station - Orbiting Kerbin
  24. Act Corp_ Jool Com Sat Network - Orbiting Kerbin
  25. Mr Fuelie Ship - Orbiting Kerbin
  26. Valkyrie - Orbiting Kerbin
  27. Charon - Orbiting Kerbin (Needs to be returned to Shiva station)
  28. Sir Kenrim's Ravine - Kenrim Flag on Mun (FIRST)
  29. Sir Kemrin Kerman Landing - Kenrim Flag on Minmus (FIRST)
  30. Sir Kenrim's Interplanetary Lander - Orbiting Kerbin, Awaiting Moho transfer (14d, 11h, 3m)
  31. Lawnchair Lander - Act Corp. Flag on Minmus
  32. The Peak of Mount Kerberest - Bill and Jeb's Flag on Kerbin
  33. THIS IS NOT A TOP SECRET SPACECRAFT - Quietly orbiting Kerbin
  34. RavenCorp Engine Cluster - Orbiting Kerbin
  35. Dionysus mk2 - Landed Idle at KSC
  36. "Slinkee" Low Orbit Fuel Depot - Orbiting Mun
  37. Garbage Truck 2.0 - Hosting Star Destroyer and fuel tank orbiting Kerbin
  38. Tranquility - Awaiting launch at KSC
  39. Blue Eagle - Awaiting transfer to Eve (Vessel not listed in tracking station)

I feel like there should be a lot more ships awaiting transfers in Alarm Clock. The Duna Habitat for example must also be going to Duna, no?

Maybe some alarms were lost somewhere with all the new updates, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Either way, this tells us what is out there and what it's currently doing.

Also, I posted a pic on page 34 that illustrates how to download a save from Google Docs, and have a picture tutorial on how to set up and share HERE

It may be nice to add links to these in the original post for those who aren't sure how to do it.

Edited by Jenkinz

Challenge Accepted! ETA: 2 Hrs

I definitely think something went fubar with the alarm clock, may be something on my end, but nothing's showing up for me?

Preparing to launch! Bringing two kerbals over to the launch pad.

Kerbals loaded! Welcome to the program:

Fredsby Kerman

Aldbus Kerman

Launch successful, circularizing at 75KM, limited fuel left on the skipper engine

Edited by dracklen

Challenge #83 Completed

First step was to get a couple of extra Kerbals into our space ship! After several iterations, a quick-and-dirty crew transport ship was made. While the turning radius on this beast is nothing to boast about, our two new explorers, Fredsby Kerman and Aldbus Kerman were quickly boarded.

mK5Fqoql.png

jruOPRRl.jpg

7eKjoiVl.jpg

A few minutes later they were seventy five thousand meters closer to their destiny!

2MoTUDMl.png

The trip took slightly more fuel due to a few careless piloting errors, but there should be plenty left for their future docking with the Valkyrie for their final journey.

Also accomplished was a quick refueling mission to the "Slinkie" to give it some RCS in case it ever needs to see action.

l7Irbtql.png

Challenge 84:

Charon is Currently in orbit and needs to get back to the Shiva station, which is currently becoming rather crowded! Get Charon back to the station and refueled.

EXa7fFCl.png

Optional Challenge: We still need another module to counter-balance the (16.24T) Tranquility lounger for when the Valkyrie transports her to Lathe.

Save File: Here!

Edited by dracklen

[table=width: 900, class: outer_border, align: center]

[tr]

[td]

Total Completed Challenges: 84

Docked the Charon with the Shiva Station.

screenshot5-2.png

This is the next challenge: The Act Corp. Laythe Lander 18.47 ton capable of landing and returning to Laythe orbit.

screenshot7.png[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

My Challenge:

1. Get the Act Crop. Laythe Lander into orbit

2. Rendezvous with the Valkyrie and dock.

Action groups:

1st. Landing legs.

2nd. Ladders.

Abort: Shut down engines, separate, and parachutes.

I added an alarm clock for the Duna Habitat on the Kerbal Alarm clock.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_wvk1PMfr9LVMtNHFSaWFxMnc/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Actzoltan
The Tranquility does have a docking port :p

Challenge #85 Complete!

Total Kerbals Lost: 2

The Act Crop. Laythe Lander has been docked with the Valkyrie.

K5mT2gJ.png

Bill and Jeb are continuing north. Their picnic has somehow caused sub-space to shatter and a temporal rift has created doppelganger copies of them!

Next challenge:

Fly the recently re-equiped Dionysus mk2 north to pick up the doppelganger Bill and Jeb to be returned to the KSC. Command wants to put them to use in space somewhere.

Also, time accelerate 24 hours.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_TiHboEU4cOTGNreFpsWVNlMVk/edit

Edited by Jenkinz

Challenge #86 Completed

Total rescue missions: 4

Next event: Moho transfer window in 10 days

The short rescue trip was deftly handled by the Dionysus mk2. Bill didn't seem to appreciate it as much as Jeb though.

BiSiiLXl.png

R70hGVjl.jpg

ZWIAfskl.png

Those metal rover seats are probably uncomfortable for long-term use, so your challenge is to design and deploy a mobile habitation module for as many kerbals as possible using 50 parts, and load all our off-duty kerbals near KSC into it.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6828vVl_-ZoTFFLUzA3Q2h0X2M/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers, brave challengers!

Edited by ThePsuedoMonkey

[table=width: 900, class: outer_border, align: center]

[tr]

[td]

Total Completed Challenges: 87

Total Rescue missions: 4

The Act Corp. Bace Buggy Has all the Kerbals except the Jeb and Bill on their adventure.

screenshot10-1.png

This is your next challenge the Act Corp. Long Range Probe.

screenshot14-1.png

This is where you dock with the Act Corp. Duna Habitat. The goal is to balance out the center of mass.

screenshot13.png[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

My Challenge:

1. Get the Act Corp. Long Range Probe to orbit

2. Rendevus with the Duna Habitat and dock where the picture above shows.

3. Deorbit the launch vehicle.

Not relevant information for this mission:

Action groups for the Bace Buggy

1st group toggle solar panels.

2nd group toggle science instruments.

3rd group toggle ladders.

If you drive with the solar panels open they will break.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_wvk1PMfr9b0pwOVJ3VHpuMkU/edit?usp=sharing

Apologies for the delay! My internet decided to die on my halfway through!

Total Completed Challenges: 85

The probe launched without much incident, but once we hit orbit and deorbited the launch stage, the probe managed to miss the station several times.

XPk6f11l.png

Fortunately the ion engines are pretty good for this sort of thing, and a few minutes later, the probe was safely docked in its assigned location.

Kns1zf8l.jpg

Challenge 86:

eRXygV3l.jpg

Get the Minmus Observatory to Minmus, preferably with the experimental rover intact. Ideal landing spots would be near the equator on a hill to maximize field of vision. The launch system is a bit weird, but assuming it doesn't blow up, it should be enough to get our brave astronomy team into orbit, and the nuclears can do the rest! 1 Controls the 4 nuclears on the lander, and 2 controls the ladders which should allow for each kerbal to exit. Don't forget to plant a flag!

Save File (D'oh, knew I was forgettign something): Here!

Edited by dracklen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.