Spasm

AffreuxLex

I really enjoy watching people's videos on KSP. After watching several with people building bases then moving them one piece at a time, I began to wonder how they had so much patience to spend hours moving it. Therefore I've come up with my own solution, the mobile and self deployable upright base module. I spent a few hours working on various designs and working out kinks but I finally succeeded and am quite proud of myself.

Introducing my first redepoyable section, the Self Propelled Automated Science Module (SPASM)

Four module long train moving to the deployment grounds.

screenshot27.png

The four SPASMs set up at each deployment interval.

screenshot26.png

This module will travel in a train setup to avoid multiple trips. Upon arriving at it's destination it can split off and go to it's designated spot. From there it will deploy into an upright position (Especially useful for Kethane operations). Using the deployment keys in reverse will return the module to a horizontal position where it will be prepared to create a new train to another location. I built this one with only vanilla KSP parts.

I'm blown away! Awesome design! I think you would like the Damned Robotics pack edited by (I think) Touhou Torpedo. Can't find it for you though unfortunately. What it does though is it allows you to have connections in between your modules that can turn as you turn, so the whole thing is more maneuverable.

Amazing. And very well done. It's possible to make such train out of different modules, and deploy whole base in one shot.

That was the idea :) This was more of a proof of concept type thing. Now I can build one for mining (right after I get the mod of course), one for living, one for storage, one for tea parties, one for science (This works but I want a better design), and one for everything else I can think of :D They'll probably never leave Kerbin but I like building more than flying anyway.

I'm blown away! Awesome design! I think you would like the Damned Robotics pack edited by (I think) Touhou Torpedo. Can't find it for you though unfortunately. What it does though is it allows you to have connections in between your modules that can turn as you turn, so the whole thing is more maneuverable.

I already have that mod. [0.19] Damned Robotics 1.3 uploaded by r4m0n

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/damnedrobotics/

I just wanted the challenge of doing it vanilla. Also, if someone likes the design they don't need to download anything to copy it and try it for themselves. Can't upload the .craft file at the moment though. I originally built the SPASM with the tug attached so I went and deleted all the parts then edited the .craft file so that I could get rid of the tug command module. I irretrievably messed up the file. :mad: So now I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong and fix it or I'll just have to rebuild it.

Edited by AffreuxLex

Because of how the tree structure of parts work, removing a part will remove all its child parts. So unless the part you removed was the very last one you added, it's likely to take a lot of stuff with it. It's theoretically possible to do this correctly, but resequencing all the parts in the tree's order is difficult, to say the least.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.