How to get to duna?

Hello everyone. Im not sure if there is a how to already posted for this but im having some issues planning my duna intercept. I always seem to overshoot and cannot get a close enough encounter to get into its soi. And after I do im not sure how or if I should do an aerobrake or just burn retro. Any tips would be appreciated.

do an f5 when you hit the SOI after using that calculator... duna's atmosphere starts roughly around 40k - it is quite tenuous and will not slow you down much unless you go deep (if your mind's in the gutter try and dig it out for just a sec) so if you do crash and burn just hit f9 and you can try again... aerobreaking is fun!

EDIT: let us know how many times you crash into IKE... and how many times it makes you wind up in weird quasi-polar retrograde orbits

I have never used the calculator before...ill give it a shot after work. Quicksave is always your friend! Also I have been placing my craft in a 500 km orbit around kerbin to fast forward till duna intercept window. Is this a good practice or is there an easier way of doing it?

I have never used the calculator before...ill give it a shot after work. Quicksave is always your friend! Also I have been placing my craft in a 500 km orbit around kerbin to fast forward till duna intercept window. Is this a good practice or is there an easier way of doing it?

Put a probe up to timewarp you to the launch window. Keep your interplanetary craft in low Kerbin orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.