Spaceplane flight path

I've been tinkering with some spaceplane designs lately, and I've actually come up with something that does pretty well when it comes to atmospheric flight. I've been trying to turn it into an SSTO craft, but I'm struggling with the TO part of that equation. I think it ought to be able to achieve orbit (I can get it out of atmo easy enough, but I don't have enough rocket dV to circularize), and I have a feeling it's my flight profile that is screwing me. Right now I take it up to 16-20km, let it hit top speed on jet engines (1.somethingkm/s), light the rocket and stand it on its ass, shut down the air breathing engines before they flame out. This... doesn't work well. So, how should I be going about things to get this thing into orbit?

I can't remember the exact numbers and don't have access to KSP at the moment, but here is what is powering it: 2 turbojet engines with 2 jet fuel tanks and 4 ram air intakes. 1 aerospike with 4 FL-T400 fuel tanks. I don't remember the weight of the ship, but it's little more than fuel, a couple wings and a cockpit. Does this sound like it should get into orbit? I can post a pic later this evening when I get home.

Fly higher on the jets; with two intakes each, you should be able to zoom up to 21km, level out, and speed up while slowly climbing to 25 km at about 2km/s horizontal speed. Then you'll need very little rocket fuel to finish up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.