Land Speed Record.

AceGamer

318m/s! :-D The way it works is: I blast down the runway, at the end I eject the cockpit section. I tried finding a straight and long patch of land but could not find anything better than the runway.

screenshot3.png

screenshot7.png

screenshot8.png

Edited by xclusiv8

• 2 months later...

Did the Kerbal survive that? I can't see any way out.

My best survivable run is 458m/s which is over 1022mph. I have done 462 in the same car but didn't have Dxtory recording. Can anyone beat me without killing Jeb?

It's quite hard to fly, you have to launch at 5/6 throttle and increase to full right away to stop it crumpling the car. You have to time the SRBs just right, and you really have to wait to deploy the chute or it just gets ripped off.

I initially thought a long flat place was the best to do this, and made 250m/s running on the grass at KSC, but the runway is clearly the way to go. I also found that over 300m/s you need to totally re-design your ejector seat to keep it from smashing into the ground.

Also, first post, hello everyone.

You guys make my Speed Rover look sad. ;.; It can get up to 60m/s before the wheels pop. But I got up to 153m/s before losing control with modded wheels that won't pop.

Uses an Aerospike Engine.

You guys make my Speed Rover look sad. ;.; It can get up to 60m/s before the wheels pop. But I got up to 153m/s before losing control with modded wheels that won't pop.

If you use the actual landing gear they will not pop or break :)

343 m/s (so just above mach 1) with just a modified wheel (so that it doesn't break at such low speeds and one can use something other than the landing gear) and HyperEdit (so I can get to the North Pole, which has a lot of flat space). I like to do sort of realistic trial. So solid/liquid/jet engines and slowing down to zero speed, ie. surviving. The best design is three long SRBs, wheels and the Mk2 cockpit, which gets to the aforementioned 343 m/s.

I imagine when aerodynamics are introduced to stock KSP, one can finally do realistic trials because I'm struggling to get results similar to real-life records. Would probably push my 343 m/s a lot higher (if made more aerodynamic).

Been trying to get that on 1080p video to put on YouTube, but every attempt so far either breaks up before I can get to a complete stop. Earlier attempts worked, but I either didn't record it or at bad quality (360p). The 'Spirit of Kerbin' has a mind of its own. Maybe it'll work in 0.21.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd try a different approach altogether, seeing if the game would let me boost a single engines' volumetric efficiency to an absurd level.. Pretty much along the lines of a massive turbo system to a air-breathing engine.

02ye.jpg

Didn't get much faster than 200m/s on the runway, it kind of flies though...

Hmm, must need to upgrade the fuel pumps and exhaust system haha.

• 6 months later...

First off, I'm not sure if we're supposed to use FAR for this or not, but I can't stand going back to the default drag model. Also, I assume we're supposed to do this at as close to sea level as possible, so I was at < 31m above sea level for the entire run (until the vehicle lifted off and/or exploded). So for this, I used FAR, and a few parts collections; KW, B9, and MechJeb are used on the vehicle itself, and KJR was used (as I use that by default as well).

I did it at the south pole as it's flat and has more flat area than the north pole, making it easier to land there while still having plenty of room to test. Getting it there was harder than actually doing the runs themselves, especially with deadly reentry installed. the actual ground speed vehicle is a 2 stage / 4 wheeled "rocket" with the first stage being an air-breathing jet engine, which gets me up to about mach 0.9.

47vXxVw.jpg

"This isn't even my final form!"

Then I decouple the jet engine and its liquid tank and let the rocket take over. This invariably ends in disaster as the planet is far from perfectly smooth when traveling at these speeds. Here's a shot just prior to one of those disasters:

6Jm3h9y.jpg

Then after I've blown up, I take a look at my speed. The highest I've gotten so far? 838 m/s (mach 2.44)!

Ddkh4wV.png

Edited by Orum

In this challenge i have reached 453 m/s stock and 740 m/s with FAR and realchutes, and stopped before the end of the runway :D After that FAR run it seems everbody else gave up... :P

Without braking i reached over 900 m/s before the end of the runway :)

Edited by Michaelo90

Something you can do to make it more stable is make it have a low wide base, the lower and wider the better.

Just to solidify the restraints of this challenge, shall we note specifics? I would recommend starting from SPH launch point only, and speed value taken from end of runway, not total during flight or whatever.

Drag race challenge. I will endeavor to be the draggiest.

Edited by Whackjob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.