Land Speed Record.

Whats the fastest you have gone in Kerbal Space Program on land? (Rover)

Rules has to be on ground not air.

Drags are boring try to think of something creative!

I'm just about to go and see how fast I go, comment your speeds!

No sepatrons

Pictures are nice!

Edited by AceGamer

Before the forum mishap, there was a similar challenge, and it quickly degenerated into separatron spam. If this is to become a construction challenge rather than a "who has the best computer" challenge, then categories like propulsion type would be good.

Example:

UyuAE8t.png

556 m/s (in the old challenge, some got ~750 m/s)

om7uVhH.png

As a random sidenote about this mainly proof of concept rover, it is actually possible to stop it using the wheel brakes before entering the water.

And yes, a lighter cockpit with less drag would be better, but, as I wrote, this was just a demonstration.

-Ojimak

I got 291m/s (651mph/1048km/h) using stock parts in a video I did:

At 2:53 onwards. This used the old rules where you had to start and stop before the end of the runway in a dragster style challenge.

Current best is 357m/s just on the grass near the hangar... I'll upload a pic if I can get imgur to work

Just a simple design, 4 wheels, a cockpit, some fuel and 3 mainsails.

New best was 430... problem was it hit a small bump and decided to try going airborn (luckily fuel cut out just then so there was a wonderful explosion shortly after)

screenshot29.png

screenshot31.png

screenshot32.png

Edited by firebos7

I've tried everything I can (stock). I can match the results from above, but I can't exceed them. The main problem seems to be a lack of room. The runway is too short, my sleds slide off the end before reaching max speed.

Another problem I have, is the wheels and landing gear. They're ridiculously unstable. I ended up using I-Beams on pylons as sled rails. They weigh a good bit more than landing gear, but they're VERY stable.

Ultimately, those little sepratrons ARE the best propulsion method. It's just hard to figure out how to mount enough of them. Liquid rockets? Hard to manage, too much power. Jets? Feasible if I had more space; they take too long to ramp up to speed. Aerospikes? Limited to about 300m/s, need a more powerful one. SRBs? Huge and too heavy. Ion? Don't make me laugh. I think the only thing I've not tried yet are those small radial liquid rockets, but I'd not expect much from them.

We need someone to make land parts, like freespinning wheels and steerable nose gear. Smaller SRBs with high IPS, like missiles that are used on real land vehicles out on the salt flats.

Also, we need to find an ideal location on Kerbin somewhere that is BIG and FLAT.

More separatron spam = 741 m/s

At the beginning of the runway:

8mKdrV2.png

seconds before a violent launch into the air and subsequent destruction:

mr7zqIb.png

As a side note, the farthest out pair of separatron clusters only added about 36 m/s, so I think this speed is close to the theoretical separatron limit.

-Ojimak

Edited by Ojimak

However, if separatrons are your thing... Here's the fastest so far at 743 m/s. I made a video as proof that this thing actually stays on the ground. Wheels are just dead weight. There's probably room for improvement, but I just stopped as soon as I passed the previous best.

5i5roYc.jpg

P5HxrTP.jpg

Edited by occar

However, if separatrons are your thing... Here's the fastest so far at 743 m/s. I made a video as proof that this thing actually stays on the ground. Wheels are just dead weight. There's probably room for improvement, but I just stopped as soon as I passed the previous best.

The wheels are massless and dragless as far as the KSP physics engine is concerned, so the aircraft wheels are not dead-weight.

And although you beat my speed, come on, you don't have the weight or drag of a Kerbal-carrying cockpit on your vessel. But congrats anyways. For now.

-Ojimak

You raised your highest by 17 m/s, I raise that by another 17 m/s:

777 m/s

zes6SVa.png

Oh, and mine doesn't explode:

ei7XejY.png

-Ojimak

....I knew this kind of silliness would eventually result from this challenge, although I must say that I've had my part in it.

• 3 weeks later...
I've tried everything I can (stock). I can match the results from above, but I can't exceed them. The main problem seems to be a lack of room. The runway is too short, my sleds slide off the end before reaching max speed.

Another problem I have, is the wheels and landing gear. They're ridiculously unstable. I ended up using I-Beams on pylons as sled rails. They weigh a good bit more than landing gear, but they're VERY stable.

Ultimately, those little sepratrons ARE the best propulsion method. It's just hard to figure out how to mount enough of them. Liquid rockets? Hard to manage, too much power. Jets? Feasible if I had more space; they take too long to ramp up to speed. Aerospikes? Limited to about 300m/s, need a more powerful one. SRBs? Huge and too heavy. Ion? Don't make me laugh. I think the only thing I've not tried yet are those small radial liquid rockets, but I'd not expect much from them.

We need someone to make land parts, like freespinning wheels and steerable nose gear. Smaller SRBs with high IPS, like missiles that are used on real land vehicles out on the salt flats.

Also, we need to find an ideal location on Kerbin somewhere that is BIG and FLAT.

Parachute that baby down at the north pole son. Hyperedit works well for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.