[0.20] Ioncross Crew Support Plugin ([0.22] dev build)

yongedevil

Silly question here,

I've been reading about some of the stuff coming in the next update... I was about to download this and install the mod since I think a life-support system would be a great addition. However, I'm not sure what all the update will change.

Is it worth it for me to install the mod now, or should I just wait for the update and install it then?

Thanks.

Well, I think I'll have the next version done in about a week. Some things it will include or likely include are:

• Resource consumption while inactive. Currently only the focus vessel process life support. I've added code to calculate resource use for inactive vessels too. Kerbals will not die if a vessel is inactive though so no need to worry about coming back to an old mission to find no on is left. You may nee to run a supply mission before you can do anything with the mission though.
  • Configurable consumables/waste. The next version of the mod will support configurable consumables for kerbals to allow for easier addion of stuff like food and water. The mod will still only come with oxygen and carbon dioxide though. I'm thinking of also releasing an addon with food and water for it too, but no promises on that yet.
  • EVA life support. Kerbals doing EVA will consume oxygen. Not done yet, but since Fel provided some code samples I expect to get it done.
  • Fixes to the scrubbers and recyclers and hopefully better performance with time warp.
  • Lack of electrical charge will shut down command module and will not kill kerbals.

There will probably not be new models yet and there shouldn't be anything that will break current ships or saves or dramatically change life support requirements for missions. So personally I think it would be worth installing now.

I hope that helps clear things up.

I personally think running out of electricity should eventually kill the Kerbals without their heating/cooling systems running, but after four or more hours.

Would it be possible to have a setting in the part file that players can set to true or false for death and maybe the number of hours without electricity?

Well, I think I'll have the next version done in about a week.

Thanks, It would probably be a release for the .20 version though, As of right now I haven't played the mod yet because I already have a save with lots of missions around and lots of mods to edit out every crew supporting parts, but I might be able to force myself to install this mod and start a new game once .20 comes out and the update to this mod, I really want to play it badly.

looking forward to the new upcoming features you mentioned. :D

Also, If someone here is kind enough who knows how to do batch files, could you do us a favor please? make a .Bat file that checks for every line in every part.cfg in the parts folder that indicates when it supports crew inside "e.g. Crew Capacity >= 1" and then automatically adds life support codes in those that are found? That would be handy for many of us :)

Edited by lyndonguitar

I'm loving this mod, it's given the game a new lease of life for me. I'm excited about the coming update, ties it all together nicely.

I would like to applaud the author on his code commenting, it's the best I've seen in a mod and it makes it really easy to make changes.

Also, If someone here is kind enough who knows how to do batch files, could you do us a favor please? make a .Bat file that checks for every line in every part.cfg in the parts folder that indicates when it supports crew inside "e.g. Crew Capacity >= 1" and then automatically adds life support codes in those that are found? That would be handy for many of us :)

Don't think I've quite got the skills for that, but if you want to find out what parts have crew easily you can use:

FINDSTR /s /i /c:"CrewCapacity = " Part.cfg > CrewParts.txt

notepad CrewParts.txt

Put it in your ksp_win folder, and it will search all subdirectories for "CrewCapacity = " and write a list to CrewParts.txt

Don't think I've quite got the skills for that, but if you want to find out what parts have crew easily you can use:

FINDSTR /s /i /c:"CrewCapacity = " Part.cfg > CrewParts.txt

notepad CrewParts.txt

Put it in your ksp_win folder, and it will search all subdirectories for "CrewCapacity = " and write a list to CrewParts.txt

Thanks! that should be enough, I can edit the parts manually, I wanted to put a different electricity capacity for each module anyway.

Well, I think I'll have the next version done in about a week.

There will probably not be new models yet and there shouldn't be anything that will break current ships or saves or dramatically change life support requirements for missions. So personally I think it would be worth installing now.

I hope that helps clear things up.

I've been eyeballing this one for a while and I think I'm going to give it a go. I wanted to say I think it's cool you're putting the effort into your mod and responding well to those who've used it. As I am actually testing the game, it is in Alpha after all, and not really playing any long term missions, it won't make any difference to my save, but I think I would really enjoy the extra challenge - even in testing.

Edit: As soon as SpacePort comes back online. Sheesh! Do you have a mirror DL link by any chance that I missed while reading the post?

Also is the mod supposed to share oxygen and power between docked ships?

Sorry I miss this question earlier. It is supposed to share resources between docked. I saw the post about it not working and I don't know why that is. I might have misunderstood how that's supposed to work. I basically have the oxygen and carbon dioxide setup like XenonGas and ElectricCharge, which I though would share between docked vessels.

I personally think running out of electricity should eventually kill the Kerbals without their heating/cooling systems running, but after four or more hours.

Would it be possible to have a setting in the part file that players can set to true or false for death and maybe the number of hours without electricity?

That will be an option. Basically you'll be able to assign any resource to the support system and have it either lock control of the command pods or kill kerbals after an adjustable interval. I did briefly play with actually modding temperature loss when power ran out but modelling it properly would require too much work for a relatively small increase in immersion.

I've been eyeballing this one for a while and I think I'm going to give it a go. I wanted to say I think it's cool you're putting the effort into your mod and responding well to those who've used it. As I am actually testing the game, it is in Alpha after all, and not really playing any long term missions, it won't make any difference to my save, but I think I would really enjoy the extra challenge - even in testing.

Edit: As soon as SpacePort comes back online. Sheesh! Do you have a mirror DL link by any chance that I missed while reading the post?

Sorry, I don't have anywhere else I can upload it at the moment.

I think I'm going to just go for it and try it tonight. I'm new so if I have to restart or something it's no big deal.

I think it has a good chance of failing because it has parts. That seems to be a major issue with other stuff so far.

I've just tested it with a clean install, it seems to work perfectly well. No exceptions are thrown, it generates no lag, and kerbals still die when out of air.

The part.cfg files will need updating though, which is easy but time consuming. Edit each one and at the very top add:

PART {

and then at the very bottom add:

}

Put all the mod files in KSP_OS\Gamedata\Ioncross\

I've just tested it with a clean install, it seems to work perfectly well. No exceptions are thrown, it generates no lag, and kerbals still die when out of air.

The part.cfg files will need updating though, which is easy but time consuming. Edit each one and at the very top add:

PART {

and then at the very bottom add:

}

Put all the mod files in KSP_OS\Gamedata\Ioncross\

OMG, ty, now only missing Kethane and Lazor system and I'm ready to play :D

PS: you mean files that are in the Ioncross mod, or ... ? Because I can see now parts of the mod, and ive edited .cfg files of parts in mod folder, but there is no change in the game.

Edited by elkar

Sure you have the folder structure right? The Ioncross folder should sit next to the Squad folder which contain flags, stock parts and such.

I just created it and dropped the files in. However I haven't edited the files yet. So off to do that now. :)

One more thing I noticed, following instructions explicitly means creating a new line at the top for

PART {

... and putting the bottom one on its own line rather than doubling up the one at the bottom.

I think. lol That's the way I'm doing it.

Edited by Scrogdog

Sure you have the folder structure right? The Ioncross folder should sit next to the Squad folder which contain flags, stock parts and such.

I just created it and dropped the files in. However I haven't edited the files yet. So off to do that now. :)

It's option B i was thinking actually.

How to make Ioncross work with 0.20

1) copy everything into KSP_win/GameData/Ioncross

2) delete command pods and cockpits from KSP_win/GameData/Ioncross/Parts (leave only those coverters and oxy tanks)

3) copy Ioncross cockpits and pods to KSP_win/GameData/Squad/Parts/Command (overwrite)

4) edit each of those copied part's part.cfg put

at very top

[B]PART 
{[/B]

at very bottom

[B]}[/B]

5) fly safe.

PS: of course there two new pods, so if you understand the "code" in part.cfg you can add oxygen to new pods with your own values of course.

Yep, looks good! The parts are there!

See you out there! :)

EDIT: ... and drat! Looks like the same deal. I see no oxygen on the resource panel.

Ah well, worth a shot.

Edited by Scrogdog

File placement was fine. But, as usual, the problem was I'm a dope. :)

I could have sworn I read there was inherent oxygen in these crewed parts, but either I'm mistaken or it is not displayed. Stuck a tank on and viola!

Doh!

Thanks! :)

Wow, it seams everyone else is more on top of this than I am. I'm working on hurrying up the next version to get it out as an official release for Kerbal 0.20. Since I think I can get this done by the end of the weekend I don't plan on repackaging the current version for Kerbal 0.20.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.