Gilly drop challenge

Before I say what my idea is, I have absolutely no idea as to whether this is possible or not. I plan to try it this weekend when I have some time, but until then, someone else should try it, just for gits and shiggles :)

Anyway, on to the challenge...

STEP 1: Perform an "extreme EVA" drop on Gilly (get a spacecraft into stable orbit around Gilly, and then put a kerbal on EVA. Drop him to the surface using only EVA.)

Once you have touched Gilly's surface, you have completed this step.

STEP 2: Leave Gilly's sphere of influence, burn retrograde, and land on Eve, still using ONLY the power of EVA.

Once your kerbal sets foot on Eve, the challenge is complete.

Again, I have no idea whether or not this is actually possible. I know that Gilly's gravitational pull is extremely weak, and from my limited amount of experience on the surface of Eve, its own gravity field isn't too strong either.

Let me know what you guys think of this challenge! Or if you complete it! :)

Cheers!

Also, check out the rules :) You need to show you did the challenge first before you can make a challenge in the forums :P

Psuedo, be a cat, always land on your head.. or is it feet? Point is, you will live :3

Escape velocity at Gilly's surface is 35.7 m/s. Gilly's orbital velocity around Eve is 945.3 m/s at periapsis, 274.4 m/s at apoapsis. I've heard that Kerbal EVA packs have about 500 m/s worth of fuel. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the terminal velocity in Eve's atmosphere (41.3 m/s at sea level for 0.2-drag parts) is low enough that it's not too hard for a Kerbal to survive a free-fall landing.

If you leave Gilly when it's near its apoapsis wrt Eve, this might be possible.

Edited by tavert

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.