Any value in having SRBs after stage one?

Awww you're talking about Payload Assist Module. The reason why solids are sometimes used for final stage is because:

1. As mentioned, they're compact for the amount of energy they carry so they can fit inside small spaces like payload fairings or shuttle cargo by

2. They're very reliable because they're simple and have few parts that can go wrong. You won't want to have a situation where shuttle has got the payload to LEO but then have the PAM fail to fire

3. They can be designed as "spinners" where no guidance is needed at all and the PAM + payload is only stabilised by gyroscopic forces like a rifle bullet. This makes them very easy to install as an additional stage onto things not originally designed for them. You can't spin liquid stages because the fuel will vortex and behave unpredictably.

The other things about real SRBs like PAMs is that they can be custom made for exactly the amount of thrust required. They aren't limited to "off-the-shelf" standard parts like we are, and can specify exactly how much thrust will be delivered and what the burn-time will be to deliver the precise impulse required for a certain task.

Hmm... maybe somebody can make an "SRB Factory" like the "Fairing Factory" website. :)

I once decided I'd make a rocket with no liquid engines.

I had jets for the first stage, and SRB to clear the upper atmosphere, and ion engines to get anywhere else.

I use SRBs only when my heavy launcher needs that extra kick to get off launchpad and moving up. Usually in cases where weight of the payload brings TWR dangerously low. Other than that i don't see much use for solid fuel. Hmmm....maybe for spaceplanes as a lift-off helpers: big, heavy plane+couple of small SRBs firing near the end of the runway = profit (also known as succesful start, not a huge fireball).

Seperatrons are pretty useful for staging, even after stage one.

They're counted as SRBs, so deal with it.

I was thinking about pointing out that I didn't mean sepratrons in the OP, but I figured everyone would know what I meant. Oh, and if you really want to get pandantic, they're solid rockets but they're not boosters ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.