Lauch Stability Enhancer exploding..

iEvermore

Good day all, happy Friday!

Perhaps one of you can help me answer this. I've suddenly ran into a problem where each and every rocket (Including the default rockets) I launch causes the LSE's to explode once I release them and engage the engines. I've always had the engines and LSE's release in the same first stage with no problems before. I recently installed the Lazor system for the docking CAM but that is the only mod I put in recently and it seems rigt after that I now have this problem. This is causing my heavy rockets to wobble baddly in the first few meters and only my extremly solid builds survive.

Any ideas how to fix?

Your only option at the moment is to remove the mod. It's a shame, because I love the docking camera. A brilliant bit of work, but I can't abide by the exploding launch clamps.

I'm using an older version of the Lazor plug-in with my Docking Cam, I guess, because it doesn't feature the exploding clamps. I'd love to update it and hopefully fix the way it screws up the default UI, but I'm not remotely interested in the ways it arbitrarily degrades other parts of KSP, such as the exploding clamps BS and increased physics distance that leads to serious performance issues.

This is the perfect example of why you don't try to make one massive plugin that does everything you think is cool, as it eliminates the ability for users to simply pick and choose what changes they want to make to KSP.

Yes. The exploding clamp "feature" was added to kill a bug with certain aspects of the Lazor system. Apparently the clamps could chase after your vehicle and destroy it, though I never once experienced that myself.

What is the actual problem with exploding clamps? Why do you guys choose to shoot yourself in the foot by losing everything to do with his mods because of a single cosmetic thing that does not hurt your gameplay one little bit?

And about the draw distances, you set those yourself in the space center. Option at the top left corner. Can set it much closer than the default or much farther. Just look and think before you judge it.

Visuals are not simply cosmetic. Everyone who does screenshot albums or videos of their launches is affected by the exploding clamps, for example, as it impacts what they are doing. It ruins the effect.

Not to mention that the silliness is just to work around a bug caused by the plugin, rather than fix it...

I do use the launch clamps to hold onto things sometimes, when doing drop testing of delivery systems. If the launch clamps exploded, the framework holding it up would fall on top of my rover/probe/capsule/whatever.

It's a shame though, I like docking cam. Supposedly this behavior will be reverted to the default non-explosive launch clamps when the relevant bug in vanilla that's necessitating the explosive launch clamps in the first place is fixed. I'm hoping this will happen in 0.20, as Romfarer is now a dev and probably has some influence over fixing a bug that affects his mod.

Is there a mod that's just a docking cam (spaceport is a mess)? I liked that part but didn't like how much else the mod added besides the one feature I was looking for.

Theres a reason why the Clamps be exploding.

Without the explosions, the extended load distance causes the clamps to suddenly grab onto ur rocket at 10-40k metres and destroy it.

The only solution to fix that problem was to make the clamps explode.

I'm using an older version of the Lazor plug-in with my Docking Cam, I guess, because it doesn't feature the exploding clamps. I'd love to update it and hopefully fix the way it screws up the default UI, but I'm not remotely interested in the ways it arbitrarily degrades other parts of KSP, such as the exploding clamps BS and increased physics distance that leads to serious performance issues.

This is the perfect example of why you don't try to make one massive plugin that does everything you think is cool, as it eliminates the ability for users to simply pick and choose what changes they want to make to KSP.

All these issues are easily fixed. Just set physics distance to normal. Also, would your rather have the launch clamps explode, or have the game be unplayable because of colliding with them?

It really sucks when they break your rockets because they explode.

They only crashed my rocket one time and the reason was i build them into the boosterstage i use Lazor all the time and it works every fine (if you drop the build clamps into booster case)

If you have a problem that your rocket explodes too you should write that into the lazor mod thread

Both camera mods are made by Romfarer, actually. Sorry, but his framework is cooked into each mod he makes, and is an integral part of it.

He does graciously make the source code available for his plugin, however. So you could rip out all the parts of it that you don't want, like the exploding clamps and increased physics distance.

I'll probably end up doing that for myself at some point, since I only use the docking camera and don't want the "Lazor Powered" config panel on my space center screen. I wouldn't distribute it, though, since his license forbids distributing derivative works, and it would be a gross hack at best in any event -- not the kind of thing I'd feel right about posting.

He does graciously make the source code available for his plugin, however. So you could rip out all the parts of it that you don't want, like the exploding clamps and increased physics distance.

I'll probably end up doing that for myself at some point, since I only use the docking camera and don't want the "Lazor Powered" config panel on my space center screen. I wouldn't distribute it, though, since his license forbids distributing derivative works, and it would be a gross hack at best in any event -- not the kind of thing I'd feel right about posting.

You don't like the control panel on the screen, have you actually clicked on it tho? At least half your problem can be solved by looking at what options there are available in it...

You don't like the control panel on the screen, have you actually clicked on it tho? At least half your problem can be solved by looking at what options there are available in it...

Yeah, I set the load distance back to 2.5km with it, but at least in v25 there was no option to hide the panel. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.